Thinking of Switching to Windows

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Grahf85, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Grahf85 macrumors newbie

Debating about whether I should move back to windows machines or not... I've had a number of issues with my apple products and I think I'm done with them. For example, since moving from an iPhone 4S to iPhone 6 my maps app hasn't worked despite calling Apple like a hundred times. My second generation apple TV can no longer use airplay with my iphone since the iOS 9 update. My early 2011 macbook pro had the infamous GPU failure. I wasn't able to get the logic board replaced for months after the GPU failed. So between my iPhone, TV, and macbook I think Iv've had my fill. Should I switch to windows?

2. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention that since trying Windows 10 I like it....

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

This will not go well. First post in a Mac forum asking for Windows advice.

4. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'll play along I guess. Switching to Windows won't help your problems.

What's wrong with your maps app? Have your tried google maps or restoring your phone?

switching to Windows won't solve your  tv AirPlay issue.

When did your MacBook start to have problems? Try replacing a part in your Windows machine after 4 years and see how long it'll take without warranty.

6. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Um, yes. Perhaps not.

But - and, there is always a but - while I am not a devotee of the late Mr Jobs, and indeed, deplore much of the mindless worship that attends every mention of the man's name - I will admit to some slight curiosity as to why very your first post in a forum dedicated to matters Mac - is about switching to Windows?

What sort of replies did you expect to receive? Or, rather, what sort of replies did you expect to receive on this forum with that question as your first post?

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

The amounts of problems you mentioned is really lacking. "iPhone 4S to iPhone 6" What has that anything to do with Windows? "Apple TV can't use airplay because iOS 9" Still not Windows, and switching won't do hell. "Macbook Pro 2011 GPU fail" Is that literally the only problem you had with your only computer? I own an iMac 2009 which had a hard drive failure, (potential) memory/logic board failure, backlight failure, graphics failure, yet I still praise Macs because it's old, it's my only Mac I owned and used as my main machine.

You need to tell us more details about what you're complaining about.

9. Grahf85, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015

Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

The sort of replies I expect to receive are honest ones. Why do you feel the need to question why I ask a question?

Switching from an iphone 4 to a 6 has nothing to do with windows. Why would it? Why would you ask what it has to do with windows?
    What does my apple tv have to do with windows? Why would you bring that up? Switching to windows from apple family products will do hell. I wont be using the apple tv or iphone anymord. Im sorry but are you serious?

Yes my macbook being unusuable for months is the only problem i had with it.

10. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Umm, because _you_ mentioned it ... ?

11. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

You just mentioned the fact in your original post that you had a "number of issues" with your Apple products and you're done with them". Including the fact about the iPhone and Apple TV.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

You asked, "Should I switch to Windows?" The answer is NO!

13. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I NEVER said switching from 4s to 6 had anythjng to do woth windows. Are you serious ?

14. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally. One person answers the question. Amazing

15. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Read again.

16. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i did. Very good reading skills...

17. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Where does it say that i switched from a 4s to a 6 because of windows? I have to adk again, are you serious?

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Because your first post on a forum dedicated to the discussion of Apple products asks whether you should switch to Windows. That struck me as rather unusual.

What sort of answer do you expect on an Apple forum?

Anyway, unless there are compelling reasons to do so, (everyone else uses Windows, the computers tend to be a lot cheaper, and so on) my personal recommendation is that you should not switch to Windows.

Yes, agreed.

Exactly.

No need to be snippy with those who replied to what may have seemed an unusual first post; a polite tone will yield far better results than rudeness and sarcasm.

19. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes switching to wondows from apple. Fo you expect me to post on an art forum or a football forum about this issue? Would they consider it a relevant topic? Sinxe talking about using apple products on an apple forum is SO unusual...

I already told you what kind of answer i expect. And im not getting them.

My reasons for considering this are in my original post.

20. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

We are not against you or against your thread question. The problem is that you mentioned three reasons why you want to switch to Windows, two of them having no connection to "Wondows" whatsoever. And your third reason is only a mention of a computer defect, especially considering it was a model defect, not only on your side.

21. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok lets make it simple. Forget wondows. Lets focus on giving up apple instead. Wow

22. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I feel your frustration, these things should simply work and I'm getting increasing disappointed and frustrated with both OS X ans iOS.

I've recently loaded win10 on an old device and it is much smoother and fuss free vs OS X. Windows is the new Apple, new approach, things just work and it simply gets on with things.

I can't help with the problems other than to say I've always found AirPlay very hit and miss to my 5 ATVs from any of the 5 iPads, 6 iPhones and macs. Frequent drop outs, missing devices. No issues with chrome cast.

Continuity is even worse, it simply doesn't work 90% of the time. Safari is full of holes, and the random wifi drops wind me up. RMBP are also resetting or crashing more than my Windows laptop ever did.

Will it be better on Windows? well the apple things won't for sure. Will you be able to do the same things in another way better? pass. I'm still looking at options.

23. flybub macrumors regular

I use both a 2014 Macbook Pro and an Asus laptop with an i7 running Windows 10. Let me just throw this out there....I loathe having to use Windows 10. I know every company is going to have its issues but Apple has far fewer problems than windows machines. There is some praise for Windows 10 and MS made a drastic change in comparison to Windows 8, but I can't stand it. If I didn't need certain software I'd throw this windows machine in the driveway. I love Yosemite on my rMBP. It's clean, fast, and yes it does have its issues, but nowhere near what I deal with in Windows. I've used Windows since 98 and I do know my way around the OS, but I'm ready to be done with Windows. Prepare to be your own problem solver on a windows machine and not all machines are created equal. There will be issues with some manufacturers that you will not have with others. Want to call me an idiot for taking my MB to the genius bar? Have at it, at least I know I'm taken care of and I don't have to run all over the internet trying to fix my computer. You will always have issues no matter the brand or OS, it's what you're willing to compromise. Apple is the lesser of the 2 when it comes to issues and is ahead of the game when it comes to service.

I'm not going to try and convince you to stay with Apple because I couldn't care less what you use, just be aware Windows 10 is not some great OS that will make the stars align for you. The grass isn't greener on the other side (my opinion), it's just a different shade with more mowing and upkeep.

24. Grahf85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you afeppl and flybub.
    You made my night a little bearable. Im definitely on the fence. Not making a decision today or tomorrow.

It really comes down to which I will have more issues with and im not sure how many I would have with windows devices. I do like my macbook for normal everyday stuff. The hang ups im having are just driving me crazy and i feel like i need to get away from it sometimes.

Im sure if i did switch to windows id loathe my decision in a month :/

25. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

That's very true, honestly. I recently attempted to make the switch from Mac to Windows, wanting to give it another chance, but my plan backfired after just two months of using it, and I already want my money back. My graphics card has problems, my wireless card barely works, Windows boots slow, etc. etc. On top of that, fixing issues on Macs is my paradise; I will have no problem fixing a mac, but fixing a Windows machine? Problem this, problem that. Nothing good. Also, Apple has excellent customer support, unlike some companies like Acer that redirected me to a tiny company when I had to buy a new PSU for my dad because he burned his out of stupidity. If I build my own computer, then I have to deal with problems. If I buy from a company, it'll be more expensive than a Mac and it'll have a ton of bloatware and likely other problems. Windows is not a pleasing experience.