Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think we should do?

• Get an iPhone 4 now and then again in 2013

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Wait for the iPhone 5...it's only a few more months...

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Don't bother; wait for 6!

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Get a driod

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I am debating with myself to either get an iphone 4 now and then the iphone "6" (2013 model) in 2 years, hopefully with 4G capability... or whether to wait a few more months and pick up an iphone 5. Then I won't be eligible for an upgrade during summer of 2013.

What do you think!?!?

Part of me wants to wait for the 5...but I am stuck with a 3G right now and want to be eligible for the upgrade in 2 years.

NateJamesMeyers

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
one of the most clever things apple has figured out how to do is make everyone always want their newest product. get an android. you'll be happier with it for longer.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I'm in a similar situation with the upgrade cycles. I just have to wait and see what the next iPhone brings in terms of features and specs. With the release likely only a few months away (September?), I would take a wait-and-see approach.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
At the very least wait for the WWDC at the beginning of June to see if they say anything about it.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
one of the most clever things apple has figured out how to do is make everyone always want their newest product. get an android. you'll be happier with it for longer.

Until the next model comes out in 2 weeks. Then you'll be wishing you had the latest and greatest.

Exhumed

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Personally, I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. Yes, you would be happier if you bought a Droid than if you bought an iPhone 4 and a few months later the iPhone 5 came out, because the iPhone 4 is year-old technology now...but it's true that a better Droid would come out a month later and you'd be disappointed about that. So if I were you I'd at least wait til June to see if the iPhone 5 is announced.

Also, wouldn't the 2013 model be the iPhone 7?

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I'm in a similar situation. I have a touch screen non-smart phone that I can upgrade around July. The problems with it are getting more and more severe. Assuming I get to July with it working (and I think I can), I don't know what I'll do if the next iPhone specs aren't any clearer. Probably get an iPhone 4 and upgrade in a few years because I don't know that my phone will last until September, mid-August maybe, but September would be pushing it.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I am planning on getting into biking this summer and I wanted a better phone to keep me occupied. The 3G can be very slow sometimes when doing iPod and exercise apps together. Not to mention horrible Internet page load times. I wonder if the 4 is much better at that.

But I still could wait. Ugh. I would've bought the 4 last summer if the white one came out at the right time.

I'm not an apple head. In fact I hate Mac computers. I've owned one and will never again. But I love the iPad and I am happy with the free or cheap apps that the app store has. I wonder if the droid store is similar.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Hi Steeler (from Pittsburgh),

I came into the smartphone market late (2009) and got a cheap refurbished iphone 3G. It's 3 generations behind now, soon to be 4, but I can honestly say that it's been pretty good. Since it's the only smart phone I've ever had, it's been just fine. I do notice that it's slow though, especially with internet.

The 3GS is on sale for $50 I believe with 2 year contract. You might be happy with that as a starter phone. Cheap too!

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
considering we are two weeks away from finding out at least wtf is going on with the next iphone you should probably wait...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The problem is, whether you get an iPhone 4 now or iPhone 5 (i know it does not exist), you are still signing a two year contract. That means if you get an iPhone 4 now, you're upgrade is on the verge of the upcoming iPhone 7. If you get an iPhone 5 now, your upgrade is on the verge of the upcoming iPhone 7. Obviously the iPhone 5 doesn't exist right now, so just add a few months to each of those iPhone 5 calculations.

But seriously? iPhone 7?? It's just a phone and that's thinking too far into the future ... it seems ridiculous to think about something as far as iPhone 7. So its up to you to decide.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Right I know that it's kind of silly to think about iPhone 7. However I wish that I could get the "4g" phone when it's ready. That is supposed to be 6 right?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
considering we are two weeks away from finding out at least wtf is going on with the next iphone you should probably wait...

Yea I would think you would at least want to wait until the WWDC on June 6th in case there is an announcement. I know the rumors say it will be later, but there has been a phone released at about this time for 4 years in a row now.

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
I'd recommend to jump on the 'even' upgrade cycle. Something tells me the iPhone 5 will not be near as revolutionary as the iPhone 4 was. If anything, most upgrades come to the software (which is behind far more than the hardware).

4G is still a young technology and Apple will be quite comfortable steering clear from it now, but by (September?) 2012 there will be very few excuses left and we'll again see a larger hardware boost and a lesser software one.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Right I know that it's kind of silly to think about iPhone 7. However I wish that I could get the "4g" phone when it's ready. That is supposed to be 6 right?

You can't reliably plan that far ahead. Hell, by then, we'll be driving buicks to the moon (to quote Wild at Heart).

Last edited:

kirp1234

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
I think there releasing the 4gs not the 5. id have to wait and see what the updgrades are before locking into a contract again. i hope there significant. ive had a 3g for some time now

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
latest rumor is curved glass. Perhaps it will be a 4GS with a different look as to bring in more customers for the new look because it won't be much of an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.