Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Bad Bear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Hello everyone. Lately I've been so intrigued after browsing these forums, specifically by all the amazing themes people have after Jail Breaking their iPhone. I have a few question that I hope you guys can answer for me.

I am currently a Android user and the Messaging application along with a couple of other applications tend to Force Close on me frequently.. Is this an issue with the iPhone?

My second, more important question involves Jail Breaking. I've used a Jail Broken iTouch before and it seemed EXTREMELY laggy and the battery life got drained within an hour or two of game play. Is this the same with the iPhone4? The biggest reason I want this phone now is because of all the customization you can do to it once you get it jail broken, not to mention all the free apps and packages you can get.

Thank you to anyone who replies to this thread. Much Appreciated

- Bear :rolleyes:

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
"Lag" and battery life tend to be how many background processes your running. "Lag" within an Iphone 4 is unlikely for the fact it has 512MB of ram, which apparently is capable of doing a lot? Lol

IMO Go with it. Its a great phone; Just don't leave OPENSSH running or anything and your battery life will be fine.

Big Bad Bear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
The lag and the drain of battery life all took place after the jail break. That is my main concern, if I jail break my phone will I experience the same lag and battery drain or was it something that they had installed that caused it?

Also, What is OpenSSH? :confused:

iPhone4baby

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
I thought the same at first, when I got my iPhone 4. But after I did it, I experienced minimum lag (to none at all), and it went zip fast. Once you get a hang of things, it'll be for the better. Hope this helps.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
It would rather be a downgrade...

You experienced lag on your "iTouch" or iPod touch because it had low RAM.

With the iPhone 4, you wont experience lag or battery issues :)

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Had a Droid X which is similar to Droid 2 before my iPhone 4 and I must say the iPhone 4 experience is much better.

I used to think Android was awesome and obviously it is much more customizable but once the novelty wears off, you stare to notice huge flaws.

Android OS's interface is unpolished; it lags, crashes, and isn't as smooth. Too many random restarts on my Droid X and app crashes. Frequently lags and to be honest, the glass on the screen felt like plastic compared to the iPhone's glass.

PeterB16

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Had a Droid X which is similar to Droid 2 before my iPhone 4 and I must say the iPhone 4 experience is much better.

I used to think Android was awesome and obviously it is much more customizable but once the novelty wears off, you stare to notice huge flaws.

Android OS's interface is unpolished; it lags, crashes, and isn't as smooth. Too many random restarts on my Droid X and app crashes. Frequently lags and to be honest, the glass on the screen felt like plastic compared to the iPhone's glass.

I, too, am a recent Droid devotee. I have since switched to the iPhone4. First week Verizon had it offered, I switched. I will never go back.
I was fully rooted on my droid, but I am very happy with my non-jailbroken iPhone.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
What surprised me most about iPhone is that it just works out of the box. No crashes, no fits, no nothing. It just works out of the box.

On my Droid X, I had to download a SMS app to get good SMS capabilities! That is kind of crazy now that I think of it.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
What surprised me most about iPhone is that it just works out of the box. No crashes, no fits, no nothing. It just works out of the box.

On my Droid X, I had to download a SMS app to get good SMS capabilities! That is kind of crazy now that I think of it.

Well I had to do the same with the iPhone 4. With the the stock app if I get a message the only way to reply is to leave my current app. Bitesms let's me reply right away without forcing me to leave the app.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Well I had to do the same with the iPhone 4. With the the stock app if I get a message the only way to reply is to leave my current app. Bitesms let's me reply right away without forcing me to leave the app.

I never use that feature anyway. But Android's SMS stock app crashes and force closed too much for my taste.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Getting away from the Droid 2?
That was one of my most favorite Droids. Well not favorite, but one that I would really like to have. :p

1) My iPhone has rarely closed apps out on me, and if it did, they were third party apps. (and this is on my 2 year old iPhone 3GS)
2) JB wont make your phone laggy unless you have a lot of things running in the background.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
i went from a HTC EVO to an ATT i4. the things that I noticed is the notifications are better on the Android- no big deal- the i4 apps and stability cant be touched with Android- the Evo was a better phone- that part I miss- lotsa dropped calls compared to Sprint EVO- that you probably already know about.... you wont regret the iphone- I have had almost every smart phone made and I have not been tempted to switch for over 6 months now- its just that much better experience with Apple- go get one and don't look back !!!

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
It was not long ago I made the switch from android to the iPhone. The difference seems night and day. There is no android phone that performs close to the iPhone in overall experience. The specs might seem impressive but most if not all android phones are not as smooth as the iPhone running the OS. Android OS being an open platform doesn't mean as much to the average phone user. The only reason they are a competitor is because EVERYONE sells them. From manufactures who are putting them on their phones to every phone company offering at least 5 different types of android phones. In the end that one phone a year wins every time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.