Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Now if only we could get some overlap on the iPad Pro at 9.7". I'd certainly pay a little more for a faster iPad with Apple Pencil support. Throw in Touch ID v2 and 3D Touch and I'm all over that. I just hope iOS 10 offers an enhanced experience for Pro users.

As for the MacBooks, I think this would be too many. Just offer a MacBook at 12" and 15" sizes, and a MacBook Pro at 12" and 15" sizes. Main difference is the Pros are a little chunkier with beefier specs and more ports. It would also be great if we could see a quad-core version of the smaller MacBook Pro in next year or so, if such a low TDP chip is in the pipeline. I'd also love to see a hex-core 15" MBP, but again don't know if something like that is even in development at Intel.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I hope Apple has learnt a hard lesson and includes 3-4 USB C or A type ports. Otherwise only meant for flowery pink girls who buy it for show off.

Yes I laugh at you, the so called alleged professionals who purchased the Macbook knowing fully well that it has only 1 usb C port.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Okay okay, first off, NO THINNER MACBOOK AIRS PLEASE. It's thin enough, and is a nearly-perfect portable computer. Just add in a Retina Display, increase the processor speed, and up the standard storage and RAM to 256GB and 8GB respectively. They probably won't do it, but one may hope.

If they're making *everything* one size bigger: I'd like to request that 17" MacBook Pros be resurrected with a Retina Display with the present MBP form factor (thinness, weight etc.). It'll be a dream for creative professionals.
yes, and keep it all pci-e flash; without a sneaky substitution of a 5500rpm hdd, and iGPU.
Still have my 2011 17" MBP, upgraded it with a 500 samsung ssd - and wow, it still workers very well.

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
MacBook Air is the best form factor in Apple's line up. But when my 2011 stopped working, I had to buy a retina pro. A MacBook Akr with a Retina display at the same price would really be the perfect machine.

But a 13" pro that's a bit thinner and quite a bit lighter would be a good consolation prize.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Whatever they do, Apple should include two (not just one) USB port and make everything Retina. The MacBook Air models currently for sale seem anachronistic due to the low-resolution displays.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Just giving my opinion. I for one am excited to get a thinner macbook air. I was so disappointed when the new macs were lighter and thinner than then Macbook Air that is currently on the market. I just really hope they give us more than one USB port.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Jeez, all these MacBooks are getting confusing. I'm surprised the Air line is staying since the Macbook and MacBook Pro are thin.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Well, these MacBooks are starting to blur together so the naming/moniker might not mean much. The terms "Air" and "Pro" are just marketing devices. For example, the original MBP (non retina) with CD is still sold under the "Pro" moniker.

If I were taking a guess (and that's all we are doing here), I think the line-up will be:

Macbook 12in - updated core M processor, 720p isight, 8gb ram/128gb SSD: $1,149
Macbook Air2 13in - Skylake processor, Force Touch, Retina Display, 8gb ram/128gb SSD: $1,299
Macbook Pro 15in - All the best stuff in a new form factor. More $$$$$

The new MBA will really be the current 13in Macbook Pro with a new Skylake processor and a slimmer wedge profile similar to the existing 13in Macbook Air. It will weight about the same as the current MBA and will be offered in gold, silver, and space grey.

I don't believe Apple will give up the Macbook Air line/moniker because it is so popular, and they have embraced the Air and Pro naming convention for their tablet models.

My two cents....probably not worth that!

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
What a buncha malarky!

Here's what will happen:

- Apple will simplify their lineup by killing the "Air" moniker
- Apple will switch to even screen sizes (12, 14, etc.)
- Apple will introduce 14" MacBook in addition to 12"
- Apple will re-introduce thinner MacBook Pro with new screen sizes 14" and 16"
- Apple will rename iPad Air as simply iPad
- Air was always overrated

all good points

Last edited:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
What a buncha malarky!

Here's what will happen:

I have a good feeling you might be right.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I never thought the MacBook was a replacement for the Air. At least, not anytime soon.

The MacBook is the new Air (ultraportable), and the Air is the new MacBook (consumer device).

I guess I was of the opposite assumption that the Air is being kept around as a legacy device like the cMBP until the chips in the Retina Macbook can equal or beat those in the current Macbook Air, I'll be delighted to wrong though. But how could Apple functionally make the Retina Macbook any thinner (somewhere Jony Ive just took that as a challenge) to make the Air worthy of the title of 'thinner than the Macbook' ?

Perhaps the next model of Retina Macbook will get rebranded to "Macbook Air" in the same way that the aluminium unibody Macbooks got swiftly rebranded to "Macbook Pro" back in 2008. Or perhaps Apple are replacing the "Air" line with a single compact 14" that has the same footprint as the old 13"?

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I can definitely see the dedicated GPU dropping from the MBP's because Thunderbolt 3 will support external GPU's, so the processor and screen size are honestly all that is left to differentiate between the Macbook lineup.
I wouldn't remain hopeful on Apple supporting any sort of eGPU. That would require drivers be written...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ok thanks for the laugh MR. It makes no sense for Apple to redesign the Air. One, they're not going to redesign it and NOT give it a Retina display, two, if they did there would be zero reason for the rMB to exist, three, they would be more expensive and four, what would be the difference between a 13" rMBA and a 13" rMBP?

My guess is it's the MBPs that are being redesigned but would Apple really wait until WWDC to announce considering some PC OEMs are already selling Skylake devices?

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I love my 11 macbook air, but a 13inch macbook air would be nice, especially if it had little to no benzel. Probably be close to the same size as my 11 inch!

Definitely peaked my interest Apple, maybe you guys still have it. Wonder if it will ditch the magsafe 2 port (I really love magsafe2). I'm really crossing my figure for wireless charging in the next couple of year, like Ossia Cota or something better! (pretty sure Cota isn't strong enough)

I'm willing to bet it will have a lightening port if Apple starts moving away from the 3.5mm jack.

unisz

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2015
What a buncha malarky!

Here's what will happen:

I couldn't agree more. I have been of the very same opinion. There is even the odd chance that only one line will continue to exist, the MacBook line, which will have 12" 14" and 16" models. In fact, it would appear that all Apple products with displays are going to end up in Small, Medium and Large: AppleWatch, iPhone, iPad (already there), MacBook and possibly iMac. But that's speculating.

Right now, I tend to agree more with your thinking. The introduction of 16" will also be welcomed by those missing their 17" Pros.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
What a buncha malarky!

Here's what will happen:

Yeah, I also have a feeling Apple will drop "Air" in the next year or two. I just wonder if that means that instead of iPad Air 3, will they call it iPad 7? Anyway, I would definitely be in the market for a MB the size of the 13" MBA with a 14" display next year. I just hope the price stays in my price range, under $1,300 for 256GB/8GB. I also want a better keyboard than the one on the current 12" MB and 2nd USB-C port.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I can't see them giving up on the Air form factor (although maybe some refinement of the naming conventions may be necessary).

The size of the MacBook has many advantages, however it's look and feel is not for all. It's basically the laptop element to Apple's non-converging ultra portable content creation offering (the other being the iPad pro). As an air user, I don't like the cramped keyboard, I don't like the low trave keys, I don't like the non-glowing Apple logo on the MacBook.

I think the Air can continue to evolve, at least the 13" model. Perhaps screen size can grow to fit the space around the screen, hopefully it gets retina too.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
All I want is an tablet with a detachable keyboard ...WWDC would the the right place to introduce an adopted Mac OS, too. Now that we have a nice Apple Stylus, sorry, Apple Pencil, it can't be so hard anymore.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
if they did there would be zero reason for the rMB to exist
I think Apple really intends the retina macbook as

1. A fashion product.
2. A laptop for the tablet generation as they grow up and need keyboards and better multitasking for work.

Macbook Air is the portable for people who need a real laptop. Pro is the laptop for people who need a mobile desktop with them everywhere.

And by the way, Air didn't mean light until Tim's Apple made the iPad Air. It has always meant wireless (it was the first mac to have wireless optical drive support and had only 1 USB port). AirPort Airplay AirPrint AirTunes MacBook Air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Donahue

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I wouldn't remain hopeful on Apple supporting any sort of eGPU. That would require drivers be written...

Why not? I think external GPUs will be huge weather Apple supports them or not. The hardware will be there with the thunderbolt 3/usb type c port, and I'll definitely give it a try even if it means using bootcamp.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Ok thanks for the laugh MR. It makes no sense for Apple to redesign the Air. One, they're not going to redesign it and NOT give it a Retina display, two, if they did there would be zero reason for the rMB to exist, three, they would be more expensive and four, what would be the difference between a 13" rMBA and a 13" rMBP?

My guess is it's the MBPs that are being redesigned but would Apple really wait until WWDC to announce considering some PC OEMs are already selling Skylake devices?

Now that you mention, that's a good point. So come WWDC we have the following:

rMB - 12" & 14"
rMBP - 13" & 15"

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
I hope Apple has learnt a hard lesson and includes 3-4 USB C or A type ports. Otherwise only meant for flowery pink girls who buy it for show off.

Yes I laugh at you, the so called alleged professionals who purchased the Macbook knowing fully well that it has only 1 usb C port.
Your work attitude doesn't seem too professional if your success is depending entirely on having additional USB ports. I guess there is a lesson you have to learn the hard way from those cute 'flowery pink girls'. Which is a sexist statement by the way. Very professional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.