Third MacBook Pro in 10 days - is now making strange noises in the HDD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applemax, Dec 9, 2009.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

I bought a MacBook Pro about 10 days ago and it had several dead pixels. That got swapped out for another one which had bubbles of liquid under the glass. I'm on the third now which has a slightly warped case and is now making this clicking noise (0:15) every minute or so.

I don't know what to do - I feel so awkward going in and asking for another swap. Has anyone else got this noise? :(

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Honestly, I did not really hear anything wrong with the computer. When in doubt, just bring to Genius bar, and they will listen to it for you. Sounds fine to me to be honest.

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Did you not hear that 'click/pop' around 15secs into the clip? It makes that sound, at a volume loud enough to be annoying, every minute or so.

4. vant macrumors 65816

You shouldn't have to settle for lack of QC. Go back and politely ask again.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

I did hear a click, but it was too low on my end to distinguish it from normal hard drive sounds of fetching, etc.

Have you done a Verify Disk in Disk Utility?

And again, if you are truly concerned go to the Genius bar. There is nothing you will be able to do with software. So if you want it changed, you got to bring it there.

6. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Yeah, it's verified both in Disk Utility and S.M.A.R.T.

Has anyone heard of this issue before?

7. jon08 macrumors 65816

8. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

9. jon08 macrumors 65816

You can always uninstall it if you want. From what I know the only drawback to it is that your HDD will run 2 or 3 degrees celsius hotter than otherwise.

I'm running hdapm on my WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB and it works like a charm - all the click/clunk noise got eliminated!

10. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Thanks for your help - can you decipher this data? It doesn't look good to me...

Attached Files:

11. jon08 macrumors 65816

Hmm, I have no idea what "Power Off Retract Count" is...

12. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

It's the 'old age/pre-fail' that concerns me. Is that normal for a computer that's a few days old?

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

The click sounds exactly like my normal HD in fact mine did it about 3 seconds before yours and I wasn't sure which was which. However that scan says "old age" and "pre-fail" a lot is that as ominous as it sounds?

14. jon08 macrumors 65816

I don't think that's anything to worry about - it also shows Old Age on most of them for me - and on others it's Pre-Fail...

15. drtech macrumors newbie

The sound is the heads moving off of the "loading ramp" and settling onto a track by finding the servo wedges. Essentially, unlike many 3.5" desktop hard drives which have a "landing area" on the platters for the heads to go to when not in use, notebook drives have a "load ramp" at the outside of the platters. The heads slide up this ramp and off the platters when not is use.

Some drive attempt to load the heads on the ramp when not in use to limit damage if the drive is dropped. They also use accelerometers to sense a fall and load the heads during the fall. Or, if your energy settings turn off the drive when not in use, the drive loads the heads and spools-down, but does not power off.

After coming off the loading ramp, the heads sweep across the platters looking for what's called the "servo." Think of this as like "electronic grooves." The servo defines the tracks. Once it catches the servo, the drive starts operating.

Those are the noises you are hearing.

The SMART status looks great. Read Error Rate, Reallocated Sectors (the important one!), seek errors and spin retries are all zero. The Load Cycle count shows how many times the heads have been loaded onto the loading ramp. The Power Off Retract Count is typically the number of power-off or emergency retractions of the heads (i.e. power pulled), but this number doesn't seem right. It could just be that the drive manufacturer hasn't implemented this parameter. They are not "required" to implement all parameters to support S.M.A.R.T.

Jeff

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Computers have moving parts. You're hearing your hard disk. Nothing to worry about.

17. macgirl89 macrumors member

Mine makes that exact same noise. I think it's normal as my hard drive is perfectly fine and the sound really doesn't bother me.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Macbooks are some of the quietest machines out there yet the OP found a noise to complain about!

*except that CD drive that goes off when awakened*

19. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Well the other two didn't have this annoying problem.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How long did you use the one with the dead pixel and the one with a liquid under the display?

All portables make that noise (bar SSDs), my 15 Macbook Pro does. It's fine.

21. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

First one for a day and second for a few days. And they both didn't make this clicking noise.

22. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thank you for that information. It is seldom that I learn such things about the inner workings of computer parts, as it might get complicated and a bit over the head for me, but your description was well laid out and quite easy to understand.

Thanks again.

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you're still within your cooling off 2 week period, you might want to check with Apple regarding the pixels.

24. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Read the OP. I don't have that laptop anymore.

25. melman101 macrumors 68030

You know, I think I just heard that same click on my laptop itself right now. I think it's normal personally.

But like everyone else says, if you are truly concerned bring it to the Apple store. Worst they can do is say everything is fine not to worry. And then you'll at least feel better about your purchase.