Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided the third beta of the upcoming macOS Sonoma update to its public beta testing group, allowing non-developers to test the new operating system ahead of its fall launch. The new beta comes two weeks after Apple released the second beta.

macos-sonoma-feature-purple-green.jpg

Public beta testers can download the macOS 14 Sonoma update from the Software Update section of the System Preferences app after signing up on Apple's beta testing website and opting into the public beta under the Beta Updates section.

macOS Sonoma introduces interactive widgets for the desktop, making widgets more useful and more prominent. You can even use your iPhone widgets on your Mac's desktop through a new Continuity feature.

There are updated screensavers that are similar to the high-resolution animated screensavers available on the Apple TV, and for video calls and presenting, there's a Presenter Overlay option that lets you move, walk, and talk in front of content you're sharing from your Mac.

Safari supports web apps so you can add your favorite websites to your Dock, plus there are new Profiles to separate your work browsing and personal browsing. iCloud Keychain supports sharing passwords with others, and private browsing windows are locked when they are not in use.

Enhanced AutoFill is available for PDFs so you can quickly fill in information like names, addresses, and emails, plus users can collaborate on PDFs and see real-time updates through the Notes app.

For more on what's new in macOS Sonoma, including a new Game mode, we have a detailed macOS Sonoma roundup that highlights all of the features in the update.

Article Link: Third macOS Sonoma Public Beta Now Available

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I got this update around 6 hours ago. I thought Apple release them at the same time regardless where on the planet earth you are.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Hopefully this seed fixes the Firefox video encoding issues.

Edit: This seed fixed the Firefox video encoding issues. I can use Firefox again. Thank god.

Last edited:

spunkybart

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
I haven't had any issues with the last or this beta. Nothing to report -- seems stable. I have tried out the new screensaver/wallpapers, widgets, etc. And you can click on the wallpaper to see your desktop. Otherwise, not too much to report -- which is not a bad thing :)

kavuky

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
Problems persist with full-screen Twitter video display in Safari. Curiously, I only see it happening with the Twitter website.

• Wow

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
I don't recall reading this anywhere, but in Ventura (or a later point release?) Apple fixed the missing "Locations" feature in the Network System Settings. (Originally with the new System Settings the Locations feature was hidden, though it still worked if you upgraded from a previous OS that already had locations set).

Anyway... can anyone confirm that Locations continue to exist/work in the new Beta? I don't have a spare Mac to test with at the moment, and I admit to being too lazy to set up a virtual...

I'll also note that the bug where if you "Add Service" for a wifi interface in Network Settings - to, for example, add a second IP address - you can't actually modify that additional service because it winds up modifying the underlying interface instead, has persisted ever since the introduction of the new System Settings. :-( It would be great if that's fixed in Sonoma but I'm not holding my breath.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
System update says there are no updates available for my M2 Air. Maybe I already got the update. What is the version number? My version is Version 14.0 Beta (23A5301h).

Never mind, the update just showed up during the bottom of the 7th of the Braves game.

fortepianissimo

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2015
I don't see it on my Intel iMac (2019). Anyone on the same iMac was able to get it? Thanks!

(EDIT: never mind -- turning off and then on beta in Settings did the trick)

Last edited:

MacDownunder

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I was seeing issues from wake with widgets being "grey" out - ie unreadable - I logged a feedback error.

Did anyone else see this issue and has it been resolved - only have it on my M1 Air so not sure if its my machine or general issue

Luna Murasaki

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Installed here. It seems they finally fixed the automatic dark/light wallpaper that was broken with Public Beta 1 and 2. I can also play YouTube videos in Safari again, which I could do in Public Beta 1 but not Public Beta 2. Those were the only bugs I'd experienced to begin with. It seems very stable along with the other Apple OSs in Beta, so it sounds like I picked a good year for my first Beta experience.

SoundSource now works with Sonoma public beta. Roque Amoeba made it happen.

If it doesn’t update automatically then hold option key and start the app. A window will open. Choose “test release”.

I remember you talking about it being broken in an earlier thread. Glad that's sorted out. That has to be really frustrating when you are wanting access to the latest software as an enthusiast and one little app you've gotten used to is holding you back like that. Congrats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.