Third-Party Apple Watch Cases Provide Options for Improved Protection

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 12, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the launch of the Apple Watch, many third-party businesses have found room to expand their organizations, or create completely new ones, with various collections of charging stands, band swapping websites, and even more rugged cases for Apple's new wearable. These cases, it should be noted, work in conjunction with Apple's previously existing band options.

One of the more notable accessory manufacturers to throw its hat into the Apple Watch case ring is Speck, with a line of multi-colored cases for the Apple Watch, called CandyShell Fit, launching later this month. Speck promises the CandyShell Fit is perfect for customers with an intensely active lifestyle, as it "provides full bezel protection to guard the smartwatch's glass screen, defend against shock, and allow complete access to the digital crown and side button."

[​IMG]
    The CandyShell Fit Case by Speck​
    The case combines a hard polycarbonate outer layer shell and a TPU interior to work in combination at providing exterior and interior shock absorption, respectively. The case includes a slightly raised bezel above the Apple Watch touch screen - about 1.5mm - in order to act as a protective bumper between the Watch and outside environment. As expected, the CandyShell Fit has been put through a test of basic high intensity activities to see its reaction to sweat, high temperatures and even basic sunscreens and lotions. Speck says the new Apple Watch case will launch in multiple colors "later this month" and be priced at $29.99.

Popular accessory manufacturer Spigen also has a range of Apple Watch accessories on its website, from stands to screen protectors. It also provides a diverse array of durable cases for the Watch, providing various degrees of thickness and protection to customers interested in protecting their Apple Watch. Ranging in price from $14.99 to $24.99, Spigen provides increasing degrees of drop and hazard defense to the Apple Watch in multiple color options - including a transparent "liquid crystal" version. The company also promises each case provides full availability to the Watch's heart rate sensor and two side buttons.

[​IMG]
    The Rugged Armor Case by Spigen​
    A few MacRumors forum members have posted screenshots and short reviews on some models offered by Spigen. Most users note the general addition of bulk onto the somewhat slim basic Apple Watch case, but if true protection is desired it doesn't appear to be too bad of a trade off.

Another durability-focused Apple Watch case, called The Bumper, began taking pre-orders a few weeks ago and plans to begin shipping sometime in June. The Bumper's ultra-resistant rubber material allows for ease of use when inserting and removing the Apple Watch, with the 360 degree shock absorbing case providing full access to the touch screen, Digital Crown, contacts button, speaker, microphone, and heart rate sensor.

[​IMG]
    The Bumper by ActionProof​
    The case also appears to be the only third-party Apple Watch case that provides protection to the Digital Crown while still allowing Apple's new input device to be fully rotated and pressed. The Bumper will be available in white, black, and orange, and those interested can pre-order The Bumper right now for $35 on ActionProof's official website.

With the nascence of the Apple Watch, there will no doubt be more and more options for various protection-related Apple Watch accessories as we move further into the year, with other companies getting their hands on their own models of the wearable. Given that some of these manufacturers created useful accessories before even having an Apple Watch in hand, it'll be interesting to see what other third-party companies do moving forward.

Article Link: Third-Party Apple Watch Cases Provide Options for Improved Protection

2. James Manesh macrumors member

3. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

4. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

I was thinking about this and if the fact I'm so against these is hypocritical. I always cover up the beautiful and slim design of the iPhone with a case so why shouldn't I the watch? Obviously dropping isn't a concern as much as it is with the phone. But swinging into walls isn't a concern with the phone like it is the watch. Still, that said, I may be a hypocrite but I still think these are ridiculous and overboard.

5. extricated, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

As gawdy as these are, I can see the usefullness in certain applications.

I could see using the Actionproof on an obstacle course, for example. Just an extra measure of protection when you need it. Heck, one of our forum members (can't remember who) cracked their screen when they bumped their wrist against a wall just walking down some stairs.

6. jardinager macrumors regular

jardinager

7. jjlannoo Suspended

I only "get" these if you your job is very physical. Otherwise yes they are very ridiculous looking.

8. Tsuius macrumors regular

This just makes no sense. Have you ever seen anyone with a case on their watch.... :eek:

9. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I sense a business opportunity. The type of people who like these cases require protection for themselves. I looked at cases for them, suits etc then I finally came up with the ideal answer

your watch will be safe in here

[​IMG]

11. bushido Suspended

bushido

i jude everyone who buys these like ... why.

would u cover your car in pillows to protect it from scratches?

12. Dayv macrumors 6502

In case you thought the Apple Watch wasn't thick enough already...

13. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

This is beyond ridiculous. Do people wear a case and a screen protector for their Timex or Rolex too?

14. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

they are not protecting the strap... tc tc tc

15. WrQth macrumors member

No they don't but you wouldn't be using a Rolex to detect your heart rate and distance traveled in various environments with obstacles or the like.

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

17. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Fool.

Wait for the folio case with a fold out keyboard and stand.

18. thefarang macrumors member

thefarang

Not that I necessarily would want to buy one of these but watches with guards on them is not new. Being a child of the 1980's I remember the Swatch watches used to have a rubber band type thing that you pulled over the face to protect it from scratches.

To a certain degree the G-Shock watches are a tough case around a watch. Not sure they would be anywhere near as rugged if the plastic case surrounding the body of the watch didn't absorb most impacts and protect the crystal.

Also, it's not like the $50 Timex you buy is on the same level as a $350 watch. You scratch the heck out of a $50 or $100 Timex, you would probably buy a new one. At $350 a pop, I doubt most people will replace damaged Apple Watches for cosmetic damage (this based on the number of people I see with shattered iPhone screens).

Someone asked if they would wear a case on a Rolex. Of course not. A Rolex is made out of stainless steel (or other materials) and has a sapphire crystal. That's quite a bit different than an aluminum case around gorilla glass.

19. 0098386 Suspended

Well, you wouldn't bother protecting a cheap watch. Equally those with Rolex's I imagine don't work in places where you could damage a watch, nor would you wear a Rolex whilst doing physical activities.

I found myself worrying about my Pebble watch when I was out hiking, climbing, swimming... where I wouldn't worry about my G-Shock. Since I intend to keep my Apple Watch for a while and hopefully sell it on later I'm looking at getting one of these tough cases.

20. thmsup macrumors member

21. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

I never understood people going through great lengths to hide the design of Apple products. Am I the only one who goes case-less for their iPhone?

22. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Get those case for $0.50 to $1 from China directly.

23. 2457282 Suspended

This is great. We have the dot stickers for the crown and now a bumper case for the watch. LOL. It could be argued that the best thing about apple is the amount of accessories that are created for it. I am sure someone will get rich of apple accessory junk. :D:cool::D

Me I am just hoping Apple will send me my watch this century. Bumpers and crown dots will just have to wait.

24. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

Thanks for the info. It makes sense when you mention climbing or hiking. Now it makes me want one if I want to do extreme sport :)