third party pcie flash storage

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cohen777, Dec 31, 2013.

1. cohen777 macrumors regular

Does the new cylinder Mac Pro allow for third party pcie flash storage?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Theoretically, yes. As long as the storage stick is made with the appropriate connector. So for only OWC has been making third-party SSD blade drives for Mac laptops. Maybe they'll have one available for the nMP at some point.

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I've used plenty of the third party cards for the notebooks with excellent results, the Transcend types with the external usb 3.0 enclosure for your old drive a great idea - but upgrades for the can have strictly been genuine parts so far off eBay so far.

4. fleaonspeed macrumors newbie

handheldgames, doesn't that thread refer to the '09 mac pros? or is there some information in there that I missed in regards to the new cylinder MP. I'm going to be honest I'm not super knowledgeable with this kind of stuff so forgive me if I missed something

5. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Yep. Sorry. I keep missing the details on the trash can Mac. :eek:. The only option would be a NGFf/m.2 to Apple flash adapter. I've seen 2 variants. One for b-key aka sata ngff. And m-key aka pcie ngff.

The only issue is that non apple PCIe flash costs much more than apples offerings.