This 2013 13" rMBP is **really** odd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scott6666, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Get this:

* It doesn't seem to have any ghosting or image retention.
    * No yellow tint
    * It's dead quiet all the time, unlike my old 13 MacBook Air
    * It runs VM's and development tools like Ruby, Grails and Scala Play with ONLY 8GB of RAM.
    * The weight difference to the MBA is not really noticeable even when hefting them both at the same time.
    * The magsafe 2 does not fall out when I move it; even when putting my feet up on the desk and dragging it to my lap.
    * It runs 20-30 degrees cooler than my air
    * Runs about 9-10 hours on a charge like they said it would.
    * Screen scrolling doesn't seem to lag, anywhere
    * Is quiet even when running youtube.
    * I bought it at Best Buy and the people were helpful and nice.

How can Apple let something like this out of their factory?

Where is the un-quality control?

Surely, I'll be banned from the forums because I don't have anything to complain about!

Actually, it is a little hard to get used to the "magnified" screen since there are fewer apparent pixels because they are doubled up. That's taking some mental adjustment. But it kinda works since I'm getting older I like the larger screen elements.

And I'm not even being paid by Apple or their marketing groups to be a fanboi troll. Sad. Maybe Samsung will pay me to not post nice things about Apple (send a large check, please!)

Surely, it will explode soon after this post...

2. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Thank you for the post. I enjoyed it immensely. :)

Maybe I'm just more jaded in my old age, but in my decade on the forums, I don't recall the bitching and moaning reaching the fever pitch that it has lately. People seem dead-set on finding problems—and then making them out to be deal-breakers that merit a return. To quote Chazz Michael Michaels, it's mind-bottling.

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

I feel ya. I have a 13" rmbp with the same symptoms. How could Apple allow this?

4. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

OP needs to call Apple and ask to speak to a supervisor/Sr Apple Advisor!!!!

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Great post. I don't doubt it. Seems like the majority of the screen issues are with the 15".

6. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

My new 15" is suffering from the same things! This is horrible! Class action suit? I demand bad screens, noisy fans, and overheating CPU's!

7. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

You forgot about the upgraded ticking case and premium two-tone yellow screens.

8. neteng101 macrumors 65816

How dare the OP forget about the price drops too. I never expected the price drops. Apple charging us less for more? :eek:

9. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Ya - I got one of those perfectly bad good ones too. I don't know what they were thinking?

10. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Well this thread has me rethinking my plans to get an rMBP.

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

OK in fairness, for the 15", it was charging less for less...

13. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Nice!

I too bought from Best Buy the day these released and have had zero issues. Even got them to price match Apple EPP in store, plus get 45-day returns as Premier member and $40 in rewards. :confused:

14. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Nah - in all fairness you still get 802.11AC wifi and TB2 as well. Plus only one config omits the dGPU, and the Iris Pro for some applications does better than the dGPU anyways.

You're not being fair at all. :p

15. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

You're rationalizing things. :p That stuff is all cheap, and of questionable usage to most users. (Let's not derail this thread into that tired debate though.) The (relatively) expensive part is the dGPU. Stripping it out is what let them lower the price without killing margins. There's a reason why lots of people are still looking at buying the older models as refurbs/closeouts.

16. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I think its pure genius - now everyone's buying up one tier and resulting in even sweeter margins and higher overall price tags.

But all the smart people are the ones buying the 13" rMBPs instead. ;)

17. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I absolutely agree on it being a brilliant strategy. They're able to attract more people to the 15" line, and get a bunch of others to spend more than they would have otherwise, given the pricing of the RAM/SSD/dGPU "package."

Your second, statement, on the other hand...where's the middle finger smiley? :)

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

OMG! This wouldn't have happened if Jobs were alive! (someone had to do it ;) )

In all seriousness, my experience is much like OP. Aside from trackpadgate which hasn't happened since the firmware update, my 13" rMBP has been great since getting it the day after release (Apple Store pickup for me). The display seems fine to me. It funs very cool and quiet compared to my loud, hot mid-2009. Battery life is pretty good (running Chrome which seems to suck it up, but it's an improvement over the battery in my old MBP). Can't compare to an MBA, but the new rMBP is light as a feather compared to my old MBP.

19. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

You are complaining about complainers complaining of things they shouldn't complain about.

20. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i posted not too long ago how mine was perfect.. then i jinxed myself and right after posting that.. issue after issue was experienced.. so i wouldn't mock the ones who are posting here with legit issues.. calling them complainers. and since i'm one of those unlucky ones.. i found your post in bad taste, even if that was not your intention.

21. blackreplica macrumors member

This is too much. Apple really dropped the ball on this one. My rMBP 13 had the same 'problems' as yours...I believed in apple enough to think mine was an isolated case but knowing others are having the same issues, and so many of them to boot, we ought to get together and sue Apple's pants off

It is not right that after paying so much money that I am given such a smooth, seamless, trouble-free user experience. This is a grave injustice, I wasted my applecare money!!

22. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

same boat as OP, no issues at all with my 13" rmbp.

I do "only" get about 7 hours battery but I think that is because I like the screen up quite bright (about 75-80%). And I only use it at home so it's kind of a moot point anyway. Fantastic laptop and very happy with my first mac :)

23. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

You need to raise a case about your ... satisfactory experience ... with the macbook =P

24. Verloc macrumors member

Hahaha...this thing is so quiet I'm worried. Maybe an SMC reset? :cool:

25. DanTSX macrumors regular

Steve would never allow this. Apple is failing.

Go return it 16 times until you can find a fault.