Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An app bug is causing some iOS users to be unable to open their apps, with affected iPhone and iPad users seeing the message "This app is no longer shared with you" when attempting to access an app.

applenolongersharedbug.jpg

There are multiple complaints about the issue on the MacRumors forums and on Twitter from users who are running into problems. A MacRumors reader describes the issue:
Is anyone else experiencing widespread app crashes? I am suddenly being informed that "this app is no longer shared with you" from several iOS apps. When I follow the prompt to the app's App Store page, the only option is to "open" which then just puts me back into the same loop.
Dozens of Twitter complaints suggest the issue is affecting people running both iOS 13.4.1 and iOS 13.5, and it's not clear what's causing the problem as not everyone appears to be affected. Some users have had the problem occur after updating apps in the last day.

There have been complaints about many apps including YouTube, Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook, TikTok, LastPass, and more. We updated the WhatsApp app an iPhone on iOS 13.5 prior to writing this article and immediately got the error message.

How to Fix 'This App is No Longer Shared'

People impacted by the issue have been able to fix their apps by deleting the app that's not working and reinstalling it. Offloading the app rather than deleting it will also fix the problem. The benefit of Offloading an app is that you won't lose any data, and you can pick up right where you left off.

To offload, go to Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage -> Scroll down to the App with the problem -> Tap on the App Name -> Tap on Offload App

Article Link: 'This App is No Longer Shared' iOS Bug Preventing Some Apps From Opening

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Suckfest 9001

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Remember us free software fans who back in the 90s warned everyone about DRM and how insidious it is and how it will keep you from using your own software on your devices eventually?

Well, here we are. A stupid bug is keeping us from running even free applications.

I don't like the future we ended up in. :(

EDIT: I bought Apple devices and didn't follow my own advice, I know. I'm just grumbling about stupid this all is. It's so unnecessary.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hopefully this is something that is fixed server side. There's an imminent jailbreak for 13.5 and I don't want to update past that unless given the blessing by pwn20wnd. I guess it's good enough that you can fix it by deleting and re-installing apps.

PS. Please don't tell me jailbreak is dead or not worth it. To each their own. Yes there are tons of things you can do that are still worth it.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Hopefully this is something that is fixed server side. There's an imminent jailbreak for 13.5 and I don't want to update past that unless given the blessing by pwn20wnd. I guess it's good enough that you can fix it by deleting and re-installing apps.

PS. Please don't tell me jailbreak is dead or not worth it. To each their own. Yes there are tons of things you can do that are still worth it.

I'm not into jailbreaking myself but can I just ask: what's the issue with updating apps after jailbreaking?

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Too much time spent on the wrong things....

Apple needs to get back to the "It Just Works" days, narrow its focus, and make its products more reliable.

Do a feature/development freeze for 90 days and focus solely on bug fixes in iOS 13. We don't need iOS 14 right now in my opinion.

So@So@So

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2019
Unfortunately, for some apps delete and reinstall will also delete locally stored data.
It looks like this problem is related to the user's (changed?) Apple ID or family sharing.
It would be great, if the App Store would allow to re-download already installed apps (so that locally stored data is not affected), this would also fix the problem with apps that have not been installed correctly.

Reactions: colinwil

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I’m getting this with youtube suddenly

was working fine since iOS 13.5 was installed, only today for whatever reason

Reactions: Scottsdale

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Unfortunately, for some apps delete and reinstall will also delete locally stored data.
It looks like this problem is related to the user's (changed?) Apple ID or family sharing.
It would be great, if the App Store would allow to re-download already installed apps (so that locally stored data is not affected), this would also fix the problem with apps that have not been installed correctly.

I think offloading does the trick: it removes the app but retains the associated local files.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I just had this happen to me with YouTube today!!! Sucks! Another iOS bug. Apple used to have hardware that worked well because it cared so much about software. If Apple doesn’t watch out, it will lose its dominance like Blackberry once did. Someone will come along and make great software that works with the hardware in an ecosystem and Apple’s lead will vanish overnight. I cannot wait for the day!!! So sick of Cook’s Apple. Make Apple Great Again. Hire a “product person” as CEO!!!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Remember us free software fans who back in the 90s warned everyone about DRM and how insidious it is and how it will keep you from using your own software on your devices eventually?

Remember back when nearly every program you downloaded could potentially be a virus? I loved when it got to the point where jpeg images could potentially have malware hidden inside them.

On balance, what we have now is better.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I think offloading does the trick: it removes the app but retains the associated local files.
Yes, this needs more bump so it gets to the front-‘er’ page.
No need to delete first, offloading and re-downloading will probably fix it and keep all the previous data. happened to me today with YouTube... was perfectly fine yesterday before going to bed.

Reactions: KeithBN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.