Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I read threads like this one:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1277764/

And the ratings for posts and wonder when this forum changed from an Apple one to an Andriod one.

This forum is in serious trouble, the rating system is making people dislike the forum, when you post a pro apple comment you are downgraded in an instant, no matter if the content is correct or not, and if you post that the Andriod is the best OS ever, you get 10+ positive ratings.

You're using your core Apple base, and not attracting Apple's new users.

I have little doubt that the 'Mods' will close this thread to make way for an Apple bashing or Android praising one.... But there we go.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Check out the Site Forum Feedback section where I believe this topic is discussed. The rating system is ridiculous but like Apple, MR seems to tell us what we want, not the other way around. ;)

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Check out the Site Forum Feedback section where I believe this topic is discussed. The rating system is ridiculous but like Apple, MR seems to tell us what we want, not the other way around. ;)

I just don’t understand why Android folk flock here.

I want to chat to likeminded people about upcoming and past products, not have childish debates about who has the biggest penis.

Wouldn't join an Android forum, and I'm sure they are vastly superior to our Apple forums anyway.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic

And the ratings for posts and wonder when this forum changed from an Apple one to an Andriod one.

This forum is in serious trouble, the rating system is making people dislike the forum, when you post a pro apple comment you are downgraded in an instant, no matter if the content is correct or not, and if you post that the Andriod is the best OS ever, you get 10+ positive ratings.

I have little doubt that the 'Mods' will close this thread to make way for an Apple bashing or Android praising one.... But there we go.

maybe because there are too many fanboys and people like to see something different

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
maybe because there are too many fanboys and people like to see something different

Why don't they go to a neutral site then, like engaget or similar?

It would seem bizarre that someone so in love with debate and Android would register on an Apple forum.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There

There are a number of members here that think it's "cool" to talk about Android because they go against the norm here, iPhone, they think because they're different and post stuff about Android they'll be "cool" and yap about "competition is good" "yeah competition, herp derp"

I personally think all Androids look cheap and have pathetic UI's and I do voice my opinion even if it's niggardly to some

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It seems that:

Android people / Apple haters have nothing to do but to troll Apple sites
Android makers paid them to advertise their products here

If you look at many of these people's post history, you would know that they don't own any Apple products (some might say they own xyz but never contributed to those sections).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Android people / Apple haters have nothing to do but to troll Apple sites
There's some of that but I was and might be another android owner in the future. I pick the tool that best fits my needs and for a while that was android. My point here is that there a lot of members here at MR who like apple, but buy android phones.

Yeah there are a number of members who come here to stir things up as well.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Perspective is a funny thing. I've seen people complain that pro-Apple posts always get upvoted and people complain that pro-Apple posts always get downvoted.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This is a tech forum, sure its main focus is Apple but people want to talk about Apple and it's competitors. Years ago there was a lot of Microsoft talk around here now it is Android.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It would seem bizarre that someone so in love with debate and Android would register on an Apple forum.

It would be one hand clapping otherwise.

Look, people on the internet like to debate stuff. If you come here, and you look at a post about the Galaxy Nexus or another Android phone, or an Asus or HP notebook, or Amazon or Google's music service, of course it's going to be a debate topic. It's a different matter when you post an Apple question (e.g. can I do "x" with iCloud) and get an, "This is why you should have Android" response or vice versa. But a thread about a new product is inherently going to elicit comments to comparable Apple products, and some of them will be in favor of the non-Apple product. If you see people trolling threads to provide off-topic sniping like that, feel free to report it.

My advice as a moderator has always been that if you aren't interested in the topic of a thread, or don't feel it's useful or constructive to you, just move on to another thread. As for the post voting -- I rarely even remember we have it, personally. :eek: Other people find it meaningful, however.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My advice as a moderator has always been that if you aren't interested in the topic of a thread, or don't feel it's useful or constructive to you, just move on to another thread.

I'm not pro or against those threads, but I'm just wondering why those type of non-iPhone discussions aren't being moved to "Community Discussion" or "Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion"?

If someone asks an iPad question in an iPhone sub-forum, that thread gets moved (and vice versa), A thread regarding Forum Feedback gets moved to correction Sub-forum, so why not non-iPhone related post?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If someone asks an iPad question in an iPhone sub-forum, that thread gets moved (and vice versa), A thread regarding Forum Feedback gets moved to correction Sub-forum, so why not non-iPhone related post?

We've had this discussion from time to time in the past -- I guess there are three major options:

- Have all discussion of non-Apple products in Community (people do post these topics there, although this is the minority right now)
- Have discussions of non-Apple products generally in the sub-forum of the related Apple product (I think this is mostly what happens now)
- Have forums for non-Apple products (been suggested in the past, we don't have this)

The rationale for the middle option has traditionally been that the people interested in the relevant Apple device are also the same people interested in debates regarding related devices.

The iPhone did change this dynamic significantly, in that before, people were posting about other phones because they wanted to use them with their Macs, whereas now the majority of those posts are probably debates over the relative merits of those other products (which was already the case with posts about HP/etc notebooks and desktops).

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I just don’t understand why Android folk flock here.

I want to chat to likeminded people about upcoming and past products, not have childish debates about who has the biggest penis.

Wouldn't join an Android forum, and I'm sure they are vastly superior to our Apple forums anyway.

I think there are two groups:

1) Members who are here to begin with because they own Apple products, and who along the line for whatever reason also decide to own an Android product (which is basically what maflynn said). I fall into this category. Since I'm used to getting good help here for my Apple products, it seems natural to hear if anyone here who also owns an Android product can be of help. That's especially relevant when I want to here comparisons by other Apple owners (because I know they've got the same general computer background I do, and will understand my issues), and when I want to learn more about how to use the Apple and Android platforms together.

2) People who just want to troll and cause problems. And those people can be found on both the Apple and Android sides of the fence.

Category 1 are members who are interested in adding good information and discussion to the board. Category 2 are the ones we ask you to report. For example: when someone responds to an Android-related thread in the iPhone forum with something like "Why are you even here", that post is off-topic and we'll remove it if it's brought to our attention. People seem to forget that it's fine to post about competing products in the related forum here (as long as you're not posting simply to rile up other members).

It's true, as someone else said in this thread, that you CAN often get much more informed and detailed help with Android-specific problems on an Android board, and I suspect a lot of us hybrid Apple/Android users are on at least one Android board as well as MR. But sometimes you want to hear the opinions of your fellow Apple users/MR members. :cool:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I'm not pro or against those threads, but I'm just wondering why those type of non-iPhone discussions aren't being moved to "Community Discussion" or "Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion"?

Oftentimes, the discussion is related to iPhone in some matter. At least from what I have seen, there is usually comparison to iPhone, making it relevant to the iPhone forum.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Surprised nobody's talking about this phone. best feature is IT CAN MAKE CALLS!!!!!!! WOW!!!.

Attachments

• 070927-old-cell-phone.jpg
    070927-old-cell-phone.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 251

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Surprised nobody's talking about this phone. best feature is IT CAN MAKE CALLS!!!!!!! WOW!!!.

A fine specimen indeed. The user who registers on an Apple forum and parades his old-fashioned tech like a tragic hero.

Keep on truckin', cause one day someone will give you that +1, a well placed smiley and a bold, capitalized abbreviation - yep, all for you and your vintage wit.

Look at that signature everyone; so edgy.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

This a million times over. This has become Android rumors not MacRumors. Like you said, you can't say anything good about Apple on this site or you are labeled a "fanboy" or an "iSheep" or a million other dumb insults.

Also anytime this issue is brought up there is always a flock of people trying to defend it. There are many threads that masquerade as an innocent "Technology discussion" thread. I thought that all "technology" related discussions were to be put in the community section where there is a thread specifically this kind of thing.

EDIT: The thread I mentioned above has been moved to the community forum :) Thanks Mods!

Take a look at the iPhone forum. LOTS of Android threads. I requested one to be moved to the technology section of community where it belongs but it hasn't been moved yet and it is definitely trolling, yet for some reason no one seems to see the OP has a troll since he still has an active account.

If I wanted Android news, I'd go to an Android forum.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.