This blows... I'm conflicted right now.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Johnny Steps, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

My MacBook Pro 2011, which I invested a new SSD and 16Gb of RAM just crashed and nothing is booting up. I'm thinking it's the GPU since apparently there's been articles on it and my computer's symptoms are extremely similar to those. I'm going to Apple later today to see what they'll do.

However my folks kindly offered to buy me a new MacBook Pro. They told me that even if Apple can fix it, they know they'll charge me and don't want that since I'm in school and putting something a brand new GPU isn't worth it for something old.

But as I looked at the new Retina models, I noticed they're not user upgradable after purchase.

What should I do? I know I probably shouldn't be picky since my parents are generously offering to get me a new one, but I guess since I've been exposed to the speed of a solid state drive and RAM it's been nice.

Also they want to buy the new one at a store, so I think they only have default models right?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd take it into Apple and get an estimate of what the price will be to repair. If it is the GPU then it makes more sense to go with a rMBP over repair because it will cost you and it will only delay the failure in the future.

Basically before spending a lot of money, see if the repair will cost.

3. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

All right then. But, and I can't believe I'm saying this about Apple's products, why are their rMBP so... Weaker in specs? My 2011 is a quad core 15" and yet to get similar to what I have now I'd have to pay over $2000. There's not even a solid state drive option for the 13" rMBP with 8gb of RAM?

Maybe I'm missing something...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean not a solid state option for the 13" rMBP?

The rMBP has an SSD already. :confused:

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

All retina MBPs use SSDs (aka flash storage).

6. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Wait I thought solid state drives were different from flash drives? I thought the rMBP was using a regular whatever rpm flash drive?

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

'Flash' is indeed that, and about exactly Zero RPM.. :cool:

8. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Oh! Well.. Hm. I guess that's not so bad. I still find it funny I can't get 16gb.. But yeah okay, I suppose the change won't be so bad.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Flash and SSD are one and the same.

In fact, the ones used in the RMBPs are capable of exceeding 700MB/s.

----------

RPM drives are called HDDs at 5400/7200rpm.

Flash and SSDs are the same and the terms are used interchangeably.

10. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Ohhh! Okay then! Well I just learned something today! Thank you for that!

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You can get 16gb in the 13" rMBP if you order online. For the midrange model (2.4ghz and 256gb SSD) it's an $80 difference once you add the education discount. It's normally $1499, and you can get it with 16gb of ram for $1579.

But consider your uses. Do you absolutely need more than 8gb? If you're doing things involving video or CAD software then maybe. If you're writing papers and watching Netflix, then 8gb should be plenty.

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The first generation rMBPs used SSDs with a SATA interface...like a spinning HD. But the latest generation uses SSDs with a PCI-e that is faster. So you will extremely fast "disk" read/write procedures with a new Macbook that uses an SSD. :D

13. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Yeah.. Probably not. Netflix and papers and online homework is the most I use. I guess I want to feel like I'm future proofing my computer but technology doesn't work that way.

14. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

People on this forum are kind of split on the future proofing bit. I started college on 2009 with a MBP with 2gb of ram (barely enough back then). I decided to Max it out last year to 8gb to speed it up a bit and found I use about 4gb. Then my MBP really struggled in September, so I replaced it in October with a new rMBP also with 8gb. I hope to keep this Mac until 2016 at least, so I hope 8gb will be enough. The way I see it, ram expectations have doubled in 5 years. Now 4gb is barely enough and 8gb is average.

15. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

yes, you're missing something.

----------

yes, you're missing something.

all retina macbooks use SSD.

16. sb in ak macrumors newbie

sb in ak

I'd definitely wait for an repair estimate for the 2011 Macbook before buying a new model. For your uses, the 2011 is still plenty powerful. Hell, I can do those things on my 2009 Macbook.

I am personally not a fan of the sealed design of the rMBP models. I see them as larger Macbook Air models. They're pretty and fast but not fitting of the "pro" designation due to loss of ports, optical drive, and no upgradability (or more realistically, fixability). I had a Ram module fail on my 2009 MB last year and I was able to easily replace it--$30 DIY fix. Personally, I'd grab the base mid-2012 non retina on the refurb store. You can still upgrade the Ram and you can put the SSD you just purchased in there, assuming the 2011 isn't worth fixing.

17. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I bought mine at the Apple Store (specs in sig), even though the website claimed it was only available online. Best thing to do is ask which models they have in stock. Apple tends to ship the most common configurations to the stores, even if it's not a "stock" option on the website itself.

If you're just using it for internet/email/schoolwork, then you could probably go with a smaller SSD and less RAM than I'm running, but that depends on how you will be using the machine.

18. eneisch macrumors 6502a

+1 on this. Some Apple stores seem to have additional configurations in stock but you have to ask for them. I know someone who recently got a 13" Macbook Air from a NYC Apple store with 8GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD which are usually build to order (BTO) options.

19. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

It seems to me like you want a notebook with really good specs so I'd consider the 15" 2.3GHz quad core with 16 GB ram and a 512GB SSD.

I'm not sure your budget but don't forget to check the refurbished store or the education discount!

Personally, I wanted the 2.6GHz quad core, 16GB ram, 1 TB SDD, 15 inch retina but it was overkill for my needs and super expensive. Although, it sure would've been nice!

20. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The ed discount on a top of the line 15: rMBP is $200. The same configuration refurbed is $500 off....with warranty and eligible for Apple Care.

I don't think you can get ed discount on refurbed units....but it might be worth asking. ;)

21. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yes, the Refurbs are likely 'best bang for buck' if you find one config'd as you would like.. and as you say, with same Warranty and as Applecare eligible as any other.. and NO, there is not a Education Discount on them, online order at the price you see.. Stock changes often hourly, so keep looking!! :apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You can get 16GB if you order it online as a configure to order option. It's $200, which isn't that much more than you would pay aftermarket at current ram prices. It varies from month to month. Two months ago it was around $180. Now it's $160 from crucial. At one point it was only around $80. The cheaper brands tend to have a higher rate of bad sticks.

Don't pay too much attention to cpu clock speeds. Their interpretation varies somewhat when comparing different generations or cpu classes. They have gone more toward integrated graphics. The rmbp graphics won't be a step up, but that only matters if you're really using them. You can see if Apple will do anything. It's becoming an issue, so I'm surprised no repair program was enacted.

23. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

Who the heck needs an optical drive though?

I guess I don't get how making a laptop quad core, super thin, lasting 9 hours, with the fastest SSD interface available in a laptop, a decent GPU and an outright beautiful screen is not a " Pro " machine. the 15" MBPr also weighs the same a 13" Classic MBP which is crazy.

Upgradeability is not requirement for "pro". I have all my old ports too just I only connect the adapter when I need it and I don't have to deal with a thicker laptop for things I use 5% of the time.

24. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If you're talking about a "pro" laptop not having enough ports how about the fact that it has 3 display ports. That's huge and two of them are Thunderbolts which can be chained and be used for a lot of other ports. Now that's fixability.

25. sb in ak macrumors newbie

sb in ak

I still use the optical drive for DVDs (I often live in places where the internet is sketchy and it allows me to use Netflix). And I know the argument is that you can get external drives cheap, but that also adds to the number of peripherals I have to haul around. Plus, I figure that I can always swap out the DVD drive once it becomes truly archaic and replace it with a SSD, even if that connection is a little slower. Again, less peripherals to haul around. Remember, all of these adapters and peripherals add to the weight of the unit and makes it less cohesive. Though one could make the argument that the use of peripherals instead of everything sitting inside give you options to travel as light or heavy as you want.

Not necessarily trying to convince the OP. Just stating why I'm not ready to go to the rMBP yet.

PS, I also don't need a lecture on what "pros" do or don't need. We all have specific needs. It's fine if the rMBP works for you. It might not work for me as well. I do think that there is a loss here as Apple is offering fewer options to their customer base.