This box should be see through...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hello12, Aug 30, 2013.

1. hello12 macrumors regular

Especially on videos

Attached Files:

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, it, along with a few other similar elements, should be more transparent.

3. mcdj, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've never understood why it has to be smack in the middle of the screen on videos at all. With all the pencil thin lines they've added everywhere else, the volume indication could use a diet.

This is another good example of iOS7's inconsistency. Things that didn't need a complete overhaul (e.g. the progress bar in Safari, the silly signal donuts...) got overhauled, for the sake of it, while things that beg a little more thoughtfulness slipped right by.

4. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

too big of a change, need to wait for iOS 8 :p

5. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I totally agree with the first three comments here.

The new YouTube app has one bar on the bottom when playing a video, it is very light and completely transparent...Apple needs to do this in several areas, especially anything that pops up in the middle like the volume, and also the dock.

6. thefourthpope, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

Going off the first posts: That box should not exist. The word 'volume' is entirely redundant, and--if antiskeuomorphism really is the future--then the fake speaker is as well

Update: I stand (repeatedly) corrected, and gratefully rescind my misuse of the s-word.

7. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Thats how it should look, it took a blurred image of the background

8. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

uh, no, in iOS 6 the volume is much more transparent, you can actually see what's behind it, not a blur of the average color behind it.

9. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Uh, thats iOS7 and its supposed to be a blur of the average colour behind it as they said in the keynote

10. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Actually, I like the new blurry volume pop up. Could be somewhere not in the center though, that's right.
    Still it looks horrible with iPhone 4 and since beta 5 also iPad 2 and 3... Just plain grey with some 1% transparency or so. Not blurred.

11. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

Wow... I didn't know the volume notification looked like this, that is very poor design. It obstructs a lot of the video on the screen. Yes.. it does fit the overall design aesthetic but it still looks poor.

12. hektor5wolf macrumors member

The speaker is just an icon, so it should not be considered as skeuomorphism! I do think that if they are going to keep an icon they should remove text or vice-versa :)

13. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The word "Volume" changes depending on whether you're adjusting media volume, ringer volume or headphone volume.

Skeuomorphism is the aping real world objects in a digital interface. Displaying a speaker icon is not a skeuomorph.

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

15. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not. It's horrific design. It unnecessarily obstructs the video.

16. mainer4101 macrumors member

I've grown accustom to just tapping the screen and adjusting the volume that way. It would be nice to have a much, much subtler volume bar though, not just for videos, but if you're browsing the web or an App and just want to turn your ringer down. I guess we can hold our hope for GM?

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

for less than a second.

18. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's Apple, we're allowed to be picky.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It doesn't need to be there at all, not like that. It never should have been but I'm used to it. I think a nice little volume graphic on the top or bottom would have sufficed.

20. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Apple is still courting first time smart phone buyers. They must feel that making this control smaller and moving it out of the way would make it too hidden. Maybe it gets a makeover in a couple of years.

21. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

It's not like Apple is done with the redesign. They're gonna ship 7 with some inconstancies, but they're gonna be fixed in later incremental updates. I don't think anyone would prefer waiting another half year for 7 just because of a few inconstancies

22. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

Ok. I thought it involved a broader kind of mimicry

23. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Instead of square dots on the volume bar they should be circle, like the signal dots. Can someone make a mockup?

24. stevemiller macrumors 65816

well thought out design with good fit-and-finish were previously one of apple's selling points. if the new mentality is "its just a button, who cares" then apple has lost a lot of what made their products a delight to use (at least for people like me).

25. spacehog371 macrumors regular

That isn't skeumorphism. The sound from your phone still comes from a speaker. You are literally changing the volume on a speaker. The icon is directly relevant to the action you are performing. What other icon would you use for sound level?