This Cold Snap Down South and Internet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Has anyone noticed since this cold air has invaded the South (I'm in Houston), that both their cable picture quality and internet speed has degraded? I've been trying to get onto speedtest.net. Got on earlier and it showed my download speed at .8 MB/S when it's supposed to be 10 MB/S. Everyone in the region must be checking on their speed because I can't even get into that site now. I found a CNET Bandwidth Meter and it shows me as 65kbps, a crawl. :(

I've called Suddenlink my cable provider and they are supposed to stop by tomorrow.

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Maybe it's because of all these people Tweeting "OMG this is the worst snowstorm ever!!1" ;)

How cold has it been in Texas? I can't imagine it is due to the weather (that never happens in Canada, after all)...

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Cold weather? I have no idea what you're talking about. It's been in the 70's here in FL. :)

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Ugh.. 32 here and feels like 24... should start snowing around 9ish...

----

OP: We have had rolling blackouts to save electricity lately so that could be messing with some of our stuff. Also understand that everyone is inside using the internet and watching TV right now so everything might be overloaded.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The south has been getting more snow then us (Pennsylvania) this year :(

Sad thing is stupid people in PA seriously freak out at the little bit of snow we have gotten, running to the grocery store to buy supplies and such acting like they have never seen snow before. We used to get feet of snow back in the early 90's but not lately :(

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Evidently you've never seen the effects of a snowstorm in the deep South. If anyone in a 10 mile radius even thinks the word "snow", it's state law that the nearest grocery store must immediately sell out of milk and bread. Apparently, during times of snow, Southerners consume only milk and bread.

What makes it worse is that once the weatherman has been proven only partially correct, and instead of snow we get freezing rain that turns to ice on the streets, everyone thinks that because there was no actual snow that they can drive just as stupidly as they do the rest of the year.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm in Houston as well, and I've noticed that my comcast at home is going a lot slower than normal. I haven't watched TV in the last few days, so I can't comment on that...but knowing Comcast, I'm sure it stinks. :D

8. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Hard freezes the last two nights in the low 20's. I've spent the last 25 years in Minnesota so I know what real cold is, but never the less it is disconcerting when it dips this far South. :)

BTW, my internet speed has recovered back up to 10mb/s. I'm happy.

I've gotten a lot of disruption in our cable picture in the last 2 days. I was thinking it might be the cold, but I know cold does not effect cable this way up north.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh I've seen it :D When I was in basic training (actually reception battalion) there was literally a light dusting of snow and the entire base was shut down, we were sent to our barracks and given MRE's lol.

I was more making fun of the people in Pennsylvania who do this because they've dealt with snow all their life and its nothing new. By far the dumbest thing I saw all winter though had to be watching someone drive a corvette up to Blue Knob ski resort (the lodge is on the top of the mountain).

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm near Dallas, and I haven't noticed a problem.

Today was the first day since Sunday we've been above 19 degrees. The roads are still frozen, the schools are having their fourth consecutive snow day tomorrow, generally everyone has lost their damn minds.

I work from home, so no snow days for me. :cool:

11. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

My guess was that it was some kind of general area slow down. I did nothing at my house and one day the internet crawled (on two computers) and our cable picture was breaking up. The next day it was back to normal. Suddenlink is my provider and I suspect that somewhere someone knew there were problems, but this apparently does not get passed down to the tech support who says they rely on people calling in to identify problems. :( Least I am back up to speed. :)