This device hasn't even been released yet!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by stu.h, Apr 5, 2015.

1. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Come on people, get a grip.

Just because Tim announces a 18hr battery life, doesn't mean its going to last for 18hrs, it could last 32409 hrs

Wait until you have it in your hands, then bitch about it!!!!

:eek:

2. sterl320 macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me exactly why 18 hours isn't enough.

3. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

...and the Most Pointless Thread of the year goes to....

4. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Many of us in the medical profession have to work 24-36 hour shifts when on-call a couple times per week. It would be difficult to make this my sole watch for that reason because I would have to switch what I use at work otherwise. It should be enough for those who work 9-5 jobs though. I do plan to still get an Apple Watch for when I am not working and just socializing.

5. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

I'm sure you get breaks - you can recharge it 80% in 1 1/2 hours. Plus, when the battery gets low it goes into power reserve, so you can tell the time for 72 hours.

6. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I'm not complaining, just answering his question. I still plan to buy one. But what you are suggesting is quite inconvenient. After a long stressful shift, the last thing I want to do is stress more about finding an outlet and charging my watch (or even having to bring the cord with me). It's too bad because we do communicate with co-workers on different floors with texts and use our iPhone for medical apps a lot. I'll just have to continue pulling that out of my white coat if I don't wish to worry about charging a watch during my breaks. I'd like to add that none of my breaks are 1.5 hours long and I would never want to leave it charging unattended outside of a locker because theft or missing items are very common (i.e. someone had money stolen out of their purse, missing stethoscopes, etc.). As I said, I understand that technology just has not developed yet to the point I can use it worry-free, so I will enjoy an Apple Watch for socializing outside of work.

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I had hoped to replace my Garmin fenix 3 with an :apple:Watch, but a multi-day hike is out. In fact a long day hike would probably exhaust the battery in an :apple:Watch, or a long bike ride. The fenix 3 gets 50-something hours of UltraTrac GPS mode, 16ish on regular GPS, and over a week with no GPS. I understand that Apple are not marketing this to me, and until they fix the battery, it will never work for endurance athletes and backpackers. Outside of that use case, I think there will be a lot of "power" users for whom the battery will be a stretch, and no, charging it in the middle of the day is not a fix, it is a nuisance.

8. sterl320 macrumors 6502

In your case, I wouldn't suggest you replace your garmin with any smart watch. Your watch is specifically a GPS watch for that intended usage. No smart watch can do what the garmin is intended to be used for, and vice versa.

And I don't know what "power" usage of a smart watch means. Extended phone calls? long text messages? Watching videos? cross country road trips? is that what you mean?

9. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

You are correct. I had hoped that Apple would do to GPS activity watches what it did with cell phones. I think we are a very long ways off from that.

As for "power" user, I am referring to the globetrotter type. Or the person who workouts and then goes and has a 12 hour workday and gets 100 emails. Not a common case, for sure, but I suspect the battery may end up being a bit more of an issue for these types of users. The thing is, you need to be able to trust your watch. The first time it dies at 7:30 is the last time you trust it. At that point it goes from important, useful tool, to a novelty. Apple needs to hope that is a rare occurrence.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unless you're already wearing a smartwatch, the 72-hour power reserve mode is no less useful than your dumbwatch.

11. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I would imagine the whole point of wearing an :apple:Watch is the smart features. Really, all of it's features become novelties if you cannot trust it to work every time on demand. Power reserve is really not a fix for anything.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While true, would you simply stick with your dumbwatch rather than use the smart features some of the time along with the power reserve mode if you have to work a 24-36 hour shift?

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Agreed. This is how it goes with first generation products. The fact that I can use it as a watch for that many hours means it is not without usefulness. Ergo, it's still a watch. And I still have my phone.

If everyone using this device is reporting that they REALLY need 24 hours of battery, or 48 hours of battery, Apple will figure out how to make this work for future generations of the watch.

14. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Let me put it this way. I don't use Siri for the simple fact that she does what I want about 85% of the time. That 15% always seems to come at the time I need her most, so I do not depend on her at all, which leads to me never using her. I don't think I am alone in that. With Siri, it's just an unused feature on a device that does so much more. However, if that type of situation happens on the :apple:Watch with battery life, you are talking about not depending on the device as a whole. It can't work only part of the time. It has to work 100% of the time.

15. sterl320 macrumors 6502

True, but if you're working a 12 hour shift, you probably won't be using your watch or phone for most of it, and the battery only really depletes as its being used.

Since no one has tested to see if the battery will last as long as apple says (and I have no reason to doubt them), we can only go by the info we've been given.

an 18 hour day consist of: 90 time checks, 90 notifs, 45 minutes in an app (not concurrently, I'm sure) & a 30-minute workout WITH music playback via bluetooth (not with the music you already put on the watch, which would probably save battery even more). if 12 out of these 18 hours consists of working, you would probably be using the watch for quick time checks mainly, probably 1 or 2 an hour. 5 time checks an hour in 24 hours with a full charge can let the battery last for 48 hours, according to info we were given. so a few checks here and there throughout the rest of the day most likely won't eat up the rest of the battery after the workout. I still think 18 hours is enough, but we won't know for sure until its out.

16. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

This statement is incorrect. According to the provided link, "Once the battery gets too low on the smartwatch, the gadget goes into a Power Reserve mode that lets you see the time for up to 72 hours from the moment it’s activated — that’s good for checking the time each hour for four times, with each check lasting 4 seconds."

So if I wish to do simple things such as time a patient's pulse, respiratory rate, and other similar timing functions (which take approximately 15-60 seconds per patient) that my dumbwatch would allow me to do, I would not be able to do this with the Apple Watch even in Power Reserve mode. Even using it as a stopwatch or countdown would likely be out of the question based on the short intervals the Power Reserve Mode would allow.

Link: http://bgr.com/2015/03/10/apple-watch-battery-power-reserve/

Again, this is not a complaint. I am still very excited to purchase one for social usage, but simply responding to a poster's original question on what situations would require more than 18 hours. I definitely look forward to greater battery life in the future, but will happy to try one out for what it is as a first generation product.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Round that up to the nearest hour and allow an hour to drive to the airport plus the airline-recommended minimum of arriving 2 hrs before departure for international. That gives us:

1hr + 2hrs + 15hrs = your watch dies as the wheels touch the tarmac in Milan. The other guy's automatic watch is fully wound and has been the entire flight.

Bon voyage!

18. sterl320, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

sterl320 macrumors 6502

is this like an everyday thing?

cause if you're sitting on a plane for 15 hours a day everyday, I don't really see the point in you relying on your smart watch, (and that's every smart watch) for your notifications, text messages, phone calls, emails, using the heart rate monitor while working out, and playing music, which is all the things that consist of the 18 hours we were given. Your average person would probably choose to use their phones for those things since they are just sitting down, and their watch as a timepiece, maybe. Using it as just a timepiece would make the battery last up to 48 hours, according to the info we received from Apple.

All that to say, I don't see any point in stating this certain situation.

19. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Who the hell cares if the watch dies during a plane trip. That would also mean you were in playing a game like soduko during the flight. If you're concerned about a watch dying during a 14hour flight, plug it in and let it charge while you fly.

20. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Certain jobs (like yours) would require a longer battery life (assuming you aren't using an electronic heartrate/blood pressure cuff?) But, if I had your job, I would be using an analog watch, assuming I had to manually check patients pulses all the time. Just makes more sense.

People will no doubt complain about lack of battery life with this watch (along with a list of other complaints that will see plastered all over this board), but the fact is Apple is open about the lack of battery life and has made it public. If someone has reservations, don't buy it. Or buy it, but don't depend on it for certain jobs.

I'm not a fan of the Apple Watch, but no one can complain about Apple not giving you the facts about its short battery life.

P.S. This is more of a general statement (not really directed at you specifically).

21. walshy1009 macrumors regular

walshy1009

If I was in the air for most of my day, everyday, I'd get sick of it very quick. I doubt the average joe does 18hrs of flying everyday

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

International, maybe not everyday.

But thinking about it, domestic travel days can get just as long: Leave house 4:30 AM --> Airport --> Office --> Dinner/drinks out --> get to hotel at 10:00 PM = 17.5 hrs. Many will recognize this schedule.

Travel is stressful enough without another battery letting you down or needing to carry another gizmo to charge it (which is always in the other bag! :))

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I get nasty notes in my inbox from those in power when I write what they call "pointless" posts....let's see if they like to dish out their "justice" equally and lock this and send OP a nasty gram.

24. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

What if you forget the proprietary charger? To bad Apple didn't use a common wireless standard like Qi. Or USB. Cause you can pick those up just about anywhere for cheap.

J/K - Playing devil's advocate. :p

25. sterl320 macrumors 6502

but that's just like a one day, every once in a while, maybe even every few months for a lot of people, thing right?