This HAS to be a fluke (new uMBP battery)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sporadicMotion, Jun 12, 2009.

1. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

So I've been doing some work on my machine for exactly 3 hours and 20 minutes. This has consisted of word processing and web browsing.

The machine is the new 2.66 standard config. I have the screen brightness at about 65% and the keyboard back light is at about 50%. I'm running the 9400m. When I started typing, I unplugged the power (it had just become fully charged).

And the point?

I still have 74% of my battery life left?!?!?!?!

I have been typing for 3 hours and 20 minutes STRAIGHT off the battery alone... and I have a full 74% left.

Is this a fluke? I've NEVER had a battery last like this... it's on it's 3rd cycle.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That's no fluke.

I got 6:25 out of my 17" UB MBP. 9400M, Bluetooth off. About 65% brightness, mostly surfing (Safari), Mail, 4 or 5 iPhone syncs. Taking into account the difference is app usage and brightness, that's not that far off of Apple's "8 hr" max figure.

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

did you have airport and bluetooth turned on? if you did, thats incredible, shows just how good those new batteries are

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Lets see how long it lasts after a year of use :(

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Attached are screenshots from CoconutBattery and iStat. The computer is a MacBook 1.83GHz Core Duo, with the battery replaced 6 months into the warranty (putting it at 27 months old). In my experience, the figures are accurate; I can easily get 3 to 4 hours of use out of a charge, and with some more thoughtful power saving measures (airport off, quitting apps, screen brightness is one above off, etc) up to 5 hours of use.

The key to its longevity is usage; it's had almost a cycle a day since I had it. If you cycle your batteries regularly, they will outlive cockroaches in a nuclear blast. Keeping batteries constantly charging is what kills them.

Attached Files:

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

But in a MBP you need to keep the battery in the laptop to get full performance. When I took my battery out of my 2007 MBP it ran noticeably slower..

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. My battery has only ever left my computer so I can upgrade the HDD.

If you're at a desk, just pull the power out. When it says it's low, put it back in. There's a cycle done.

9. hybster macrumors member

Just got the new 2.66 mbp, and it has a very high battery-capacity :D about 80wh

With textediting the estimate fluctuate around 9h... gotta love this, bye bye mba!

Attached Files:

10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

damn, they are some pretty high mAh ratings :D

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I think what the above poster was trying to say was that you can have the computer plugged in while you're using it, and have the battery in, but you should also run it off the battery for a while each day just to keep everything flowing smoothly. :)

I personally lave it connected to power when using it during the day (which is for maybe an hour at the most). Then I usually let the battery drain down quite a bit (anywhere between 50% and totally empty, depending on how long I use it for) when I start using it in the evening/night. The next day, when I use it during the day for a bit, I plug the charger back in and let it charge back up for use again that night. I also keep it unplugged if the computer's asleep, as it uses barely any battery. Almost two and a half months old and still at 100% health.

12. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

ohhhh....thats really great battery :(

13. newmac123 macrumors newbie

Well, I wish I could say the same! I just got a 13" MBP yesterday and after about 3 hours of use it just shut down. Now it won't turn on without plugging the charger into it. After about an hour of Apple on the phone, I find out that the battery/other internals are apparently dead on arrival and I get to ship it back and get a new one sent out. Wonderful.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Ah right I get you now - I've never done that, if it's at my desk I always have the power plugged in. I'll start doing that though from now when I'm not running intensive tasks, thanks for the HU :)

15. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

where did you get it ?

16. sporadicMotion thread starter macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Airport is on but bluetooth is off. It's at 71% now (we both went to sleep for the night)... I'm tracking this so I know what the end total is.

17. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Hmmm, my Macbook doesnt run at all when I take the battery out. :D