Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Also depends on where you live. In the US? iMessage is everywhere. In Europe? WhatsApp is probably the most popular, and in China WeChat or w/e it's called is what they use the most. Since 99% of my contacts are in the US, iMessage is what I use. I do have WhatsApp and FB messenger, but I rarely use them.

Same for me.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
75% lol. I have 1107 contacts and 67 use WhatsApp and 601 use iMessage. I guess part is the type of people one hangs out with. Most professionals don’t use WhatsApp.

Yes it does, therefore your earlier post regarding the 'lack thereof anything even close to comparable' is your personal preference and beside the truth, the world is more than the US alone....

Besides that iMessage is everywhere in Europe and Asia as well, but the intermix with Android is bigger.
As soon as you get a bit more international most people use Whatsapp (if not restricted like in China).

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Yes it does, therefore your earlier post regarding the 'lack thereof anything even close to comparable' is your personal preference and beside the truth, the world is more than the US alone....

Besides that iMessage is everywhere in Europe and Asia as well, but the intermix with Android is bigger.
As soon as you get a bit more international most people use Whatsapp (if not restricted like in China).

So the worlds largest mobile base not having access to WhatsApp isn't enough to say it's not universal nor a standard? LOL

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
So the worlds largest mobile base not having access to WhatsApp isn't enough to say it's not universal nor a standard? LOL

Not with the remaining 6.6 Bilion able to uses it.
With Android controlling 86% of the market and Apple about 12%.

You want a shovel, or did you dig it deep enough for yourself now?

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Not with the remaining 6.6 Bilion able to uses it.
With Android controlling 86% of the market and Apple about 12%.

You want a shovel, or did you dig it deep enough for yourself now?

Huh? So WhatsApp announced they have 1 Billion daily users. Apple announced its 1 billionth iPhone was sold in mid-2016... and by the very nature of an iPhone, every one is capable of iMessage, so by straight mathematics dropping off all phones sold in the last year as "phones that were sold and no longer in use", iMessage and WhatsApp have the same user base.

You might want to reevaluate your math before you get the shovels out. 86% marketshare yet WhatsApp has only been able to capitalize on a relatively small portion of said marketshare. iPhone users don't have a choice, an iPhone = iMessage. See the diff?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Maths is not your best subject....

You are comparing sold units to active users, Apple sold 1 billion phone, but there only 700 million active iPhones.
Of those 700 million a very large portion is using Whatsapp as their main communication.

Being able to use it does not mean people actually use it.

There are about 250 million iMessage users agains 1.2 billion Whatsapp users
https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/how-many-people-use-chat-apps/

I guess you took the shovel...

btw... you are aware of this in the appstore??
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/whatsapp-messenger/id310633997?mt=8

On iPhone you choose what suits you best or what your friends use most, for some that will be iMessage, but the majority is using Whatsapp on iPhone

Last edited:

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA

You are comparing sold units to active users, Apple sold 1 billion phone, but there only 700 million active iPhones.
Of those 700 million a very large portion is using Whatsapp as their main communication.

On iPhone you choose what suits you best or what your friends use most, for some that will be iMessage, but the majority is using Whatsapp on iPhone

The majority of iPhone messaging users use Whatsapp on iPhone? Wow, that's the most inaccurate statement ever.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
In your opinion or your social circle, but we already saw that your opinion does not coincide with reality.

Many of your statements are flawed:
- "iMessage, or lack thereof anything even close to comparable".... Whatsapp is similar to iMessage and crossplatform
- Comparing sold units to active users
- "iPhone users don't have a choice, an iPhone = iMessage".... try Whatsapp in the appstore

That is why I challenged you on your statement concerning nothing being available which is comparable, there is and it is bigger than iMessage, in some aspects it is better than iMessage on others iMessage is better.

Try arguing based on facts instead of perception.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The majority of iPhone messaging users use Whatsapp on iPhone? Wow, that's the most inaccurate statement ever.
I have to agree with you here.

I don't use WhatsApp, my wife and kids do not use it, my mom does not use it and no one I know who owns any kind of an iDevice uses WhatsApp either.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I used what’sapp when someone was visiting from the UK. I erased it soon after they left. Totally worthless to me.

Frankly I’ve yet to see anything ever done via a jailbreak that made me even contemplate jailbreaking for it. But to each their own.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I have to agree with you here.

I don't use WhatsApp, my wife and kids do not use it, my mom does not use it and no one I know who owns any kind of an iDevice uses WhatsApp either.

Well that really is a representative poll...

Come on guys, I know the average American is 'less' aware that anything exists outside of the USA, but this really takes the cake....

On 7.9 billion inhabitants about 1.2 billion daily users of Whatsapp, with iMessage only a fraction of that. About 1 billion use Wechat, then we have Line, Telegram etc. All of those are similar or even beter than iMessage.

You can do beter than that....

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Well that really is a representative poll...

Come on guys, I know the average American is 'less' aware that anything exists outside of the USA, but this really takes the cake....

On 7.9 billion inhabitants about 1.2 billion daily users of Whatsapp, with iMessage only a fraction of that. About 1 billion use Wechat, then we have Line, Telegram etc. All of those are similar or even beter than iMessage.

You can do beter than that....

Your math skills are so awful. There are nearly 1.2 billion iOS decides in use. All of which have and use iMessage in some way. There are 5 billion android devices in use and 1.4 active WhatsApp users. So a device/app with 90% market share has almost the same number of users as that of iMessage? Yeah not sure that’s anything to brag about.

FYI I travel the world internationally twice a month to the Middle East, asia and Europe. While the usage of other app platforms is far greater than in America, WhatsApp is by no means a “standard” or even commonplace any more than Kik or other messengers. It just depends on what groups of friends use. And circling back to what brought up this topic, they’re not using non iMessage by choice, they all would much rather use iMessage if they could.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
The hole keeps getting deeper... sort of China syndrome now..

You are starting to make up numbers...

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/17/2-billion-active-android-devices/
So 2 billion ACTIVE android devices according Google..you would think they would know...but I guess you know better.

Apple had 1 billion active DEVICES, that includes Macs, Apple TVs, iPods, iWatches, etc
https://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10835748/apple-devices-active-1-billion-iphone-ipad-ios

Wrong numbers en personal assumptions, you offer no source information and your numbers don't add up.

Best guestimates look like 700 million ACTIVE iDevices, about 1/3 of Android total.. From those 700 million about 130 million are situated in China, where Wechat is the standard, they uses it for everything; communication, payments, etc.

Having the iMessage available does not mean people use it, Whatsapp is the standard for Europe and Wechat for China.
Those two combined cover more percentage of Apple sales then North America.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/382175/quarterly-revenue-of-apple-by-geograhical-region/

That is excluding Android device all together.

Other data suggests there are several billion iMessages sent per day (according to Tim Cook in 2013) and in the same year Whatsapp did 30 billion messages. Whatsapp is doing about 50 billion a day in 2017 so lets put it at 10 billion for iMessage... factor 5....

Somewhere in a discussion it is better just to admit that you made a wrong assumption, no shame in it..really ;)

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Other data suggests there are several billion iMessages sent per day (according to Tim Cook in 2013) and in the same year Whatsapp did 30 billion messages. Whatsapp is doing about 50 billion a day in 2017 so lets put it at 10 billion for iMessage... factor 5....

Somewhere in a discussion it is better just to admit that you made a wrong assumption, no shame in it..really ;)

Wait, so you're agreeing Android holds a 90% marketshare vs Apple's 10%, but iMessages make up 20% of messaging marketshare? So assuming 100% of people with iPhones use iMessage, they message at a rate of 2 to 1 over Android users... and by your assumption that only half of iPhone users prefer it, that means iMessage users message 4 to 1 over What's App. Sounds like your breakdown just demonstrated EXACTLY what I was saying from the beginning.

The funny part is when someone switches devices, it takes 1 WhatsApp and a SMS to validate their number, which right there is 4 million messages just in setting up WhatsApp on a new device whenever WhatsApp users change devices.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I appears you don't want to see it...or reading might be a serious problem for you.

You keep mixing apples and peers.
There is a difference between having an android device and using Whatsapp.
The same holds through for Apple owners, not all use iMessage, for instance China is the biggest iPhone market, but almost everybody there uses Wechat.

You cannot make a 1-on-1 comparison.

Android holds 90% of the DEVICE marketshare, Apple holds 10% of the DEVICE Marketshare.
With different message platforms (WA, Wechat, Line, Viber, etc).

Whatsapp and Wechat are the biggest with about 2.4 billion users taking about half the messaging market.
Apple has 10% market share on devices but iMessage produces only 5% of the total message volume.
So around 50% of the messages on iDevices is sent via other apps.

So in whichever way to you try to twist it, your baseless assumption don't add up.

And to go back to what you actually said:
"iMessage, or lack thereof anything even close to comparable. That's the #1 reason I stick with iPhone. If Android or a third party had something that was universal that even came close, I'd be the first to jump ship from iOS to Android."

We established that there are several alternatives but you don't (want) use them, that is up to you but you statement is completely debunked. There was no other discussion point.

Now that we established that lets go back ontopic, yes it still is a very long time without a JB. :)

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I appears you don't want to see it...or reading might be a serious problem for you.

You keep mixing apples and peers.
There is a difference between having an android device and using Whatsapp.
The same holds through for Apple owners, not all use iMessage, for instance China is the biggest iPhone market, but almost everybody there uses Wechat.

You cannot make a 1-on-1 comparison.

Android holds 90% of the DEVICE marketshare, Apple holds 10% of the DEVICE Marketshare.
With different message platforms (WA, Wechat, Line, Viber, etc).

Whatsapp and Wechat are the biggest with about 2.4 billion users taking about half the messaging market.
Apple has 10% market share on devices but iMessage produces only 5% of the total message volume.
So around 50% of the messages on iDevices is sent via other apps.

So in whichever way to you try to twist it, your baseless assumption don't add up.

And to go back to what you actually said:
"iMessage, or lack thereof anything even close to comparable. That's the #1 reason I stick with iPhone. If Android or a third party had something that was universal that even came close, I'd be the first to jump ship from iOS to Android."

We established that there are several alternatives but you don't (want) use them, that is up to you but you statement is completely debunked. There was no other discussion point.

Now that we established that lets go back ontopic, yes it still is a very long time without a JB. :)

Seems odd you’re a defensive that you keep having typos. Calm down with the anger typing. You don’t need to defend your employer, Facebook to me. I know they make you act like the world can’t live without your product at work, but believe me it can and does.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Lol European..how is your French, German or Dutch? English is my second language...but now we are again at the point were some (not all) Americans really don't have a clue what goes on in the world.

Defensive? No..i just don't like trolling.

Btw professional world traveler and nothing to do with IT

cptn.nemo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2016
I think iOS updates are released too quickly for jailbreak to keep up. When iPhone first came out iOS updates were rare now I get one every fricken month. Maybe that’s not the reason but I’d LOVE to have my jailbreak back it was wayyy more convenient than what Apple has come up with. Control center is lame compared to SBsettings in its day. The location toggle was so worth it to me, and now I can’t even turn off Wi-Fi with control center. I think jailbreak is worth it and I’m not updating my phone in hopes cydia will be available for my version

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014

Who cares? Use whatever you want sheesh!

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Out of the people I know with iPhones(over a hundred or so) I think there's only 3 or 4 that use imessage but only part of the time, mostly they use WhatsApp. The rest only use WhatsApp.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just jailbroke my 5S using gOblin. My 5S is on 10.3.1. So happy I stayed there only because I didn't use that phone in about 6 months so I never upgraded it.

All my other devices are on 11.1.2 so I'm just waiting on the JB for those to be finished.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Out of the people I know with iPhones(over a hundred or so) I think there's only 3 or 4 that use imessage but only part of the time, mostly they use WhatsApp. The rest only use WhatsApp.

Curious what country do you live in ? Here in the U.S. iMessage is like what 99.99% of iPhone people use. And Android users just use whatever their phone came with for texting.

I'm talking the typical Joe Blow average non techie.

Out of 100 people I know on iPhone's, I would say 100 of them use iMessage, and maybe 3 or 4 might have WhatsApp as an alternative for their weird friends that use something different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.