This is a big reason why the xoom is and will fail

Discussion in 'iPad' started by falconeight, Apr 6, 2011.

1. falconeight Guest

falconeight

And I have been to many best buys and it always looks like this. [​IMG]

2. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    A prefect example of why marketing is arguably more important than the product itself. Example: Pet rock of the 70s and Grey Goose Vodka (conceived out of thin air; marketed as premium vodka; sold for $2bn)

3. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Looking at that picture makes you wonder why you would pay all that money for that? Its next to a pink and white netbook on the back wall.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Is it me, or does the way the Xoom is positioned make it look like something that was just thrown on the shelf? I know it's mounted on an articulated arm thingy, but it's low and crooked and just looks completely inconspicuous.

5. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Interestingly I usually see the same type of Best Buy display with the Apple computing products, not with the iPad 2 currently because of the stock status, but you could look at the iPad 1 if you wanted to.

On the flip side, there is zero marketing and no stock or product placement for any Android Tablets anywhere in the 3 local Best Buy stores I visit, and I would probably say that is why when a general conversation when speaking of an iPad, it's an iPad, when speaking about any other tablet, it is pretty much a nameless Android Tablet with another one just around the corner as always.

6. madat42 macrumors regular

Also remember that manufacturers pay stores a little extra for showroom space and presentation. That the Xoom sits on the shelf like a toaster shows you how excited everyone is about it.

7. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I noticed the same thing. iPad has a huge display, and I had to go hunting for a Xoom among the netbooks. Galaxy Tab and some other crappy Android tablet were in another part of the store entirely.

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

The only good things about the Xoom are speakers and the Superbowl ad.

9. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I have to give credit to apple for making policy and giving resources to its product. They truly have become the Ferrari of tech.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yeah, the Xoom isn't very well maintained in the big box stores. Half the time the battery is dead or the screen is smeared with crap. Meanwhile, I see employees shining up the iPad screens with microfiber cloths.

However, when I actually got to use one out of a box it was a nice looking, well built machine. The OS certainly has a fresh look but Google/Motorola really messed up by releasing this with so few apps.

11. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

plus the price point is pretty high.

12. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

lol..good example! I've never looked at a zoom and from the pics...I still haven't to this minute!!

13. ani23 macrumors 6502

The main reason is that it will be judged on pure merit. There is no subsidy in play like when it comes to phones.

I know people getting 4 free phones using android which is why there is a deluge of android devices. Once u realize you have to pay full price for something it better be good as hell. Not trolling it's just the plain honest truth.

14. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Good post. I noticed the same thing while at Best Buy. The Xoom looked as if it were thrown in the corner. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

15. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Point received. Marketing is a big part of it. They need to spend a little more dough on product placement in stores. The iPad looks top of the line, while the zoom is stuck in the cracks in the corner.

16. Smoothness macrumors regular

Very good post, apple not only made the definitive mp3 player,iPod, but also the definitive tablet.

17. ani23 macrumors 6502

Someone failed English.

18. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

haha I see it

19. aperry macrumors 6502a

I fully agree with the OP here. Marketing is huge. In the case of the Xoom, it's also half-baked and inferior to the iPad 2 so it has a few strikes against it.

But, in response to this comment, I've petsonally never met anyone who has bought a BOGO Android phone. Plenty of Droids, Evo's, Nexus Ones, a few Atrix's recently. Maybe that's just the crowd I hang out with, dunno. But I'd love to see some data on this before I believe BOGO deals are the only reason Android is killing iOS in the smartphone market.

20. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I did tmobile had a giant bogo for xmas so did at&t

21. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I would absolutely buy a xoom for use on my Verizon line I do not use if it was half the price it currently is. I love my iPad but my trial of the xoom was impressive.

22. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I got my G2s for free XD, T-Mo had a couple of free phone promotions too.

Admittedly if you're on a $150/mo plan (I'm not), I don't see the big deal about spending $285 on an iphone. :)

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Indeed. BOGO is not even close to getting one "free", as some people want to imply, since the second buyer has to be willing to also sign up for a two year contract with data plan. That means two people have to like that kind of phone, which is pretty amazing.

BOGO is more like, if you buy two phones with long contracts and data plans, we'll only charge you half price each upfront.

The 3GS at $49 is far more likely to suck in lots of single buyers.

24. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I would also buy it if it were half the price. But its not its crazy expensive and offers nothing. If you want to watch a movie there is nothing. No good apps. You can tell that real planning, product placement, and development went into the ipad before it were even released.

25. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

I own both. So let me just say this:

1. its only $70 more than the 32 gb 3g Ipad. When it is upgraded to 4g it will kill any ipad 2 3g speeds. BTW they just released a wifi only version of the Xoom and its the same price as the ipad 2. But with better cameras.
    2. If i want to watch a good movie i do what i do on my Ipad... I drag it over and play it. Netflix doesn't have the greatest selection and i refuse to pay for Hulu +. BUT on the Xoom i can go on many movie sites, megavideo, ch131; etc. and stream movies or tv shows with Flash.
    3. Flash.
    4. Chrome web browser kicks ass. Its actually depressing when i use the Ipad's browser. Tabs are amazing.
    5. Yes very lacking in Apps. But flash does compensate for the lack of video apps. And the web browser compensates for a lot of apps. For example, I don't need a best buy app, amazon app, facebook app; etc. B.c i can access the full webpage pretty easily in the chrome browser.

Now it depends on the user. I love both. The both have their purposes for me. Now will it fail? No i don't think so. It might not do the shear volume that iOS devices do. However, does it really need to in order to be a success? NO. Just like the Droid X doesn't outsell the iphone. Just like the Droid incredible or galaxy S series doesn't outsell the iphone. COMBINED they outsell it. and if you keep up with tech, you know that their are TONS of android tablets coming out. Creating more competition, lower price points ($349 wifi galaxy tab), and variety of product (Not everyone wants a 10").

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/06/the-motorola-xoom-is-most-certainly-not-a-flop/