this is a link to a ssd raid0 please help explain it to me

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philipma1957, Sep 14, 2010.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

2. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

article is interesting I plan on a 2 ssd raid0 as a boot drive. I can use a pair of patriot inferno ssds I have.. I do like the pci card i found maybe some one has tried one. If not i will do the pair of inferno ssds.

3. JulianBoolean macrumors regular

JulianBoolean

QUESTION : would I need a raid card to see any benefit from creating a raid 0 using two mechanical drives? The use would be for Photoshop scratch. Thinking about what I can do cheaply on my own dime until my workplace purchases me a new mp. My new six core is smoking fast but my work computer feels terribly slow now ! :)

Thanks

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

That setup is basically a pre-packaged RAID card (like an Areca ARC-1680 $600) with DRAM cache and what is probably a pair of 256GB SSD's ($600 each) running in RAID0. It's way overpriced for what you get.

The stated burst read/write speeds of 1400MB/s and 1200MB/s are likely due to the cache. The sustained transfer rates are probably more in the 500-600MB/s range (assuming dual channel RAID0).

This setup can be duplicated by buying your own RAID card and attaching a couple of SSD's to it for probably half of what that solution costs, or alternatively, you can just buy a couple of SSD drives (for under $500) and use Disk Utility in OSX to setup a RAID0 array and do this without the RAID card. The latter is what most people opt to do, although there are at least a couple of folks here running 3rd party RAID cards.

5. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

okay so if I want the 4 hdds bays in the pro to hold 4 2tb hdds. I want the two optical bays to hold two dvds I could get a pci raid card that would power two ssds and hold them inside the pro? if so what would be the card?

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You don't even need a RAID card. You could just get a PCIe SATA card and again, use Disk Utility to run a RAID0 array of the SSD's off of that. RAID cards for RAID0 arrays make little sense since RAID0 doesn't have any parity requirements that can get computationally intense. RAID0 is simple enough that the OS can manage it without any impact. You can search here for some PCIe SATA cards that will work with OSX... I don't know the specifics off hand.

If you really want a RAID card, then I'll let others more familiar with the current crop of RAID cards chime in, but I believe an ARC-1222 is what you would want for just a pair of SSD's.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm more inclined to go for the Areca 1880 series now (6.0Gb/s models) as it will allow for future SSD's to be used (current SSD's are already near the sustained throughput limits of 3.0Gb/s <270 - 275MB/s>, and the C300's are supposed to be able to exceed it <claim 330MB/s>).

The ARC-1880i would be the entry level model in the family (8 port internal).

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Anything similar to that card, but at a more friendly price point? :eek:

It may be a bit less intuitive, but I think RocketRAID's offering may work with a bit of elbow grease and cord management.

9. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

I have 2 killer ssd's patriot inferno 200gb they are clones of owc 200gb ssd's..

I would like to use them inside the mac pro without using any of the 4 bays or the optical bay. if I buy the arc-1880i it is over kill also I don't quite understand how to wire the two ssd's to that card.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I assume you want to be able to boot the array, which is the problem. So far, all that's 6.0Gb/s and bootable, are offerings from ATTO and Areca. Of the two, Areca's cards are cheaper.

There are cheaper solutions that will boot, but they're all 3.0Gb/s, which is already being pushed near or even over the sustained transfer rates that 3.0Gb/s can provide = 270 - 275MB/s (i.e. most fast SSD's are generating ~250MB/s, and the C300 can go up to 330MB/s).

This means, if you try and run a disk that can produce more than what the port can take, you're going to throttle. So for SSD's, you really want to use a 6.0Gb/s card.

Also, of the non bootable 6.0Gb/s cards for OS X (driver support only) that are inexpensive (under $100), they're all eSATA.

As per Highpoint, I'd avoid it at any cost. There's reports of problems as a general rule, nor do they design or manufacture anything they sell = support dept. doesn't really know what they're doing. They've a few proper RAID cards that claim to be bootable under OS X, but don't provide the EFI firmware according to users that have bought them more recently (I presume there's problems, so they pulled it - this has been at least 6 months it's been unavailable IIRC).

See above.

Most of thier gear isn't bootable under OS X, and some that's claimed it, can't be flashed, as they don't actually make the EFI firmware available. :eek:

Where do you even plan to put them then?

12. JulianBoolean macrumors regular

JulianBoolean

Hey, sorry to intrude but wondering if anybody noticed my somewhat related question.

Thanks!

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Assuming you've sufficient SATA ports on the ICH (system's SATA controller), it's capable of being used in a stripe set without the need of a RAID card (created under Disk Utility).

The performance would double that of one of the drives used, so you should definitely notice it.

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

@Nanofrog, can you run software RAID0 on drives connected to an internal PCIe SATA card? Bootable?

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, so long as it at least has drivers for OS X (you can still use Disk Utility to set up the array).

As per whether or not it's bootable, it would have to have EFI firmware (most are BIOS, so only provide driver support at best). SIL3132 cards and newertech 6.0Gb/s would be good examples (though the newertech models are eSATA only, you could run the cables through the PCI bracket of an unused slot to internal disks). Not pretty, but you can get it operational.

For internal ports and bootable 6.0Gb/s, there's ATTO and Areca (ATTO does have non RAID HBA's that would work, and they're less expensive than the RAID versions, most wouldn't consider the $400 price tag for the H608 feasible just to run a stripe set going by the posts here on MR). The cheapest 6.0Gb/s RAID card so far, is the ARC-1880i for $600 (ATTO's R608 8 port internal goes for $938; there aren't any 4 port models :eek:).

16. philipma1957, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

I kind of like this idea of a pci ssd as my boot drive so I have been looking around this one seems to be a decent idea but still not ready for prime time