This is for Windows users. Apple fans beware!!! (yes it's relevant to MBAs)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 3dflyboy1, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I recently found a nice little macbook air substitute. ;)

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...ory-id=96EBC6A8C8EC47A59E95B3D5E300F333&tab=1

It's also available from amazon for $485 with free shipping and no tax: http://www.amazon.com/ThinkPad-X120...LTA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315266221&sr=8-1

I have been searching high and low for a good deal on a MBA when I finally gave up. I will shortly order one of these (open box) from another website for $385 shipped. For significantly less than the cost of a macbook air, I think this fills the same spot quite nicely. It comes with a dual-core AMD E-350 processor, 4GB RAM, and a 320GB HDD. It can also be easily upgraded to a max of 8GB RAM for about $50. :D (which I intend to do) Also, I personally love the famous durability of Lenovo, as well as the overall look of their Thinkpad laptops.

I have seen people play games like Modern Warfare 2, Team Fortress 2, Left for Dead 2, Portal, and Minecraft on this computer, and it handles the games very well. (with 4GB RAM) :D

So my point here is this: for someone who is fine with windows, this is a much cheaper, more practical option. Sure, you lose the sexy look of an apple computer, but I think spending twice as much for that is rather silly. I know there are other factors for why people buy a macbook air, but for half the price...look what you can get!! ;)

I'm not trying to criticize the MBA here; just pointing out other options for the benefit of others. :)

I'd be glad to hear some other people's opinions on this, especially those of you who are dual-booting to OS X and win7.

2. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Stop trolling, this has a crappy AMD processor, no SSD. It is no competition to the MBA, both are meant for completely different kinds of users.

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Good suggestion if you love Windows. There will be sooo much more MBA-like options when quad-core ARM Windows 8 laptops hit the shelves at the end of next year...

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Netbook vs ultraportable... apples to peaches.

It's a nice machine for a netbook, it's not even close to a mba.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Nice netbook. When it grows up it may try to get close to a MBA, but it wont.

Oh, and the specs say 4GB RAM max.

6. 3dflyboy1, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

but reviews on amazon say that people have upgraded it to 8GB... ;)

The macbook air sure is a powerhouse, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't use it for very labor-intensive tasks. I think Lenovo has accurately hit that spot between netbook and full-fledged laptop.

7. minnus macrumors 6502

I have the x120e. It is actually on next to me. I have 8GB of ram installed as well as an SSD (64GB). The upgraded x120e probably cost me... around $500.

Its pretty good. My only complaint is that the screen SUCKS. People complain about the MBA screen...because they haven't seen the x120e screen. I've never used a more horrible screen.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Really? Could it be worse than my Toshiba Satellite screen, that only one person can view at a time because the viewing angle is so narrow? One person, as long as you are willing to move your head frequently.

The fact is, many of us need a modest Windows box. But, clearly the described machine is not an MBA. Perhaps people could post some more likely MBA-killers. Well, not killers exactly - since, in my experience, the Windows machines that compete directly with Apple cost almost as much.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup, the specs say 4GB max but I went to Crucial and they sell a 8GB upgrade kit for it, and as minnus said his has it, so there you have it.

You know, for the price it's not a bad little laptop. minnus, how long to boot Windows with your SSD?

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

thislenovo has been around for months. your just noticing it now? imho the hp dm1z is better. longer battery life better design. battery doesnt stick out the back ect. i like my air though still even with these other options available.

11. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

let me be the one to step in and stay that laptop is ugly. I know, i know a majority of people purchase their laptops because of how they perform, NOT how they look. But the MBAir is so much sleeker and a better designed that the price makes up for it alone in the quality of the product.

12. 3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually like how Thinkpads look. :eek: but almost nothing is as amazingly gorgeous as a MBA. :D

Where did you buy your x120e? The SSD?

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oh, no question. I am a big Thinkpad fan (currently have one for work) and I am an eraser head. Since I got my MBA I have come to appreciate the trackpad and the need to carry a microfiber cloth to wipe down my laptop. Never had to do that before. I guess because I never had such a good looking laptop.... :D

14. summitRun macrumors regular

15. 3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I know from experience how good Lenovo's keyboards are. :D

16. dubels macrumors 6502

I wish it was the same but it is not. I have the Asus equivalent of that laptop with 6gb of ram and it struggles during everyday use. I dunno if it is a Windows thing or the computer is just slow. Surfing the net with firefox sometimes produces problems just by itself. The E-350 is nothing compared to the i5 chip. I tried to settle with my Asus 1215 but after a few months of using it I just cant handle its hiccups. I am not a Windows 7 hater but I just need something with a bit more power and most of the time I am just using the computer to type up briefs and look at PDFs at the same time.

However, I must say that if I was choosing between the Asus and the x120e I would go with the x120e. Much better machine.

BTW the specs may say 4gb max but its a 64bit system and the E-350 recognizes up to 8gb.

17. 3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

"trolling" would be if I posted a thread titled "MBA SUCKS!" :rolleyes:

All I'm trying to do is suggest an alternative for MBA users who don't require quite so much processing power for light use. Please don't take this the wrong way. :)

18. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

OP: Just wait for the new/upcoming Ultrabooks.

19. scarred macrumors 6502a

I feel like I just went 20 years in the past. Are we comparing numbers again? yawn...

Does it run OS X? Ok, well that ends the conversation there... but lets go with it.

AMD Fusion vs. Intel Sandy Bridge. Are you serious? No really? Are you? First, take AMDs best offering, and no one will argue that they are generations behind. Second, Fusion is the competitor to intel Atom processors. Yes, Fusion kicks atom's butt... But I ask again, are you seriously comparing these two? Please just go google.

SSD vs. HDD.

Lenovo vs. Apple support. One has a store I can walk into when there are problems.

I'm just going to end here cause this is lame. There are all sorts of companies threatening to compete with the Air... but the closest real product, Samsung Series 9, was more expensive and slower.

20. 3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I DID say this thread was for windows users... :rolleyes:

And it's not really competition; Just an alternative, meaning a different machine for a different purpose. For someone who would use a MBA for just web surfing, email, movies, etc. this is a much cheaper option. ;)

21. scarred macrumors 6502a

Why post on an apple fan site then?

Anyways, news at 11... netbooks running Windows are cheap! yay? You are also on the wrong forum... Apple's direct netbook competitor is the iPad. Oh, and it slaughtered them.

As someone noted, the Windows competition to the Macbook Air is the "Ultrabooks", which are currently vapourware.

22. 3dflyboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

For those who want something similar to a macbook air, but don't want to spend quite so much. ;)

23. scarred macrumors 6502a

Ok, fair enough. I feel compelled to reply then, to post that this is mis-information.

This is no where near similar to a notebook. This is not even remotely close to being "similar" to the macbook air. The AMD Fusion CPU is a netbook class CPU. Far superior to Atom sure, but still way under powered.

Are these sufficient for some users? Absolutely. Would they be better served with something else? I really think so. I'd get an iPad 2 instead of a netbook any day of the week.

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Except that most Air users will never max out their CPU... I'd wager that many Air users would rather a descent CPU and a descent GPU instead of a great CPU and a sucky GPU.

25. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

You should have known you wouldn't have many people in your favor in an Apple forum. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.