Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Ok...apparently this thread isn't going anywhere. :( Sorry if I caused any trouble. :eek: I didn't intend to.

I think the title may have set the tone as different from what you intended. The words "Apple fans beware!!!" are likely to be taken as a bit aggressive.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
I think the title may have set the tone as different from what you intended. The words "Apple fans beware!!!" are likely to be taken as a bit aggressive.

Not really aggressive...just a warning that they might not like the contents of the thread. When I say "contents" I mean my original post, in which I recommended a cheaper computer for lighter users.

But yes I can see how that could be taken the wrong way...

UPDATE: I just snagged a new lenovo x120e for $268 w/ expedited shipping on ebay. :D I'm a rather happy person right now. :D:D:D

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Not really aggressive...just a warning that they might not like the contents of the thread. When I say "contents" I mean my original post, in which I recommended a cheaper computer for lighter users.

I understand from context that it wasn't what you meant, just illustrating how your intent may have been misinterpreted (which you realize).

At the end of the day, everyone should buy the system that best fits their needs. "Best" is very subjective and the things people consider as part of the overall "value proposition" will differ -- not all of which can be easily quantified. As adults, we should all realize this... but too many people seem to get their identity wrapped up in their computer choice and get their fur ruffled when others choose differently.

Enjoy your 120e. Lenovo's are generally pretty solid systems, they were my go-to choice before I moved over to Macbooks.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Well, if we wanted a cheaper computer for lighter users, we wouldn't have purchased a MBA now would we. ;)

I think the fact that you're comparing the MBA to something that is not a comparable is what is drawing ire. If you had used a comparable like the Asus X21 or the Lenovo X1, then maybe we could have an objective discussion.

As it stands, this thread is about Smart cars on a forum about hauling cargo.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
I have no problem with AMD/ATI gpus and the gpu on this one is just as good as the gpu in the current MBA, but it is being wasted on a dead architecture and if AMD was wise enough they would pair it to a proper ARM device.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
And regarding the cost, I paid 630 euro for the Lenovo. A comparable Air (4GB/128GB) would be 1169 euro. How is that even remotely "comparable"?

If Lenovo shipped a true competitor to the Air, it would be in the exact same price ballpark, if not more. Apple gets some pretty steep manufacturing discounts.

You might have snagged yourself a decent notebook, but don't try to kid yourself into thinking you got the worlds best deal. You didn't.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
I understand from context that it wasn't what you meant, just illustrating how your intent may have been misinterpreted (which you realize).

At the end of the day, everyone should buy the system that best fits their needs. "Best" is very subjective and the things people consider as part of the overall "value proposition" will differ -- not all of which can be easily quantified. As adults, we should all realize this... but too many people seem to get their identity wrapped up in their computer choice and get their fur ruffled when others choose differently.

Enjoy your 120e. Lenovo's are generally pretty solid systems, they were my go-to choice before I moved over to Macbooks.

Thanks. :D I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Also, thank you for your opinion on this thread. You really understand what it's about. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that almost everyone is misinterpreting my intention here. I was merely suggesting another option. I didn't say it was a competitor for the macbook air at all, just something different that could fill the same spot for some people (like me). "To each his own" comes into play here; if this computer doesn't suit you, just move on and enjoy the choice you made or will make.

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
If Lenovo shipped a true competitor to the Air, it would be in the exact same price ballpark, if not more. Apple gets some pretty steep manufacturing discounts.

You might have snagged yourself a decent notebook, but don't try to kid yourself into thinking you got the worlds best deal. You didn't.

And the Air is "the world's best deal"? :rolleyes:

Yes, the Air is a very thin and very light device. But that's where its advantage ends.

I rather have the ports (coincidentally, in just the two weeks that I had the Lenovo, I ran into situations where I really needed both the Ethernet and the HDMI port), the 9 hours battery life, 8 GB memory and a matte screen instead. I can live with the the additional 0.5 kg of weight.

Also, the "comparable" thing was an answer to a question about the processor, you have claimed that it's not yet available and will be as expensive as the Air ones, which is not true.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
And the Air is "the world's best deal"? :rolleyes:

Yes, the Air is a very thin and very light device. But that's where its advantage ends.

I rather have the ports (coincidentally, in just the two weeks that I had the Lenovo, I ran into situations where I really needed both the Ethernet and the HDMI port), the 9 hours battery life, 8 GB memory and a matte screen instead. I can live with the the additional 0.5 kg of weight.

Also, the "comparable" thing was an answer to a question about the processor, you have claimed that it's not yet available and will be as expensive as the Air ones, which is not true.

blah blah blah. All you are doing is twisting the conversation and changing the arguments. This all started with the first post posting a NETBOOK and saying it is a competitor to the Air. This was refuted. Then you came along and said well, maybe that model isn't a competitor, but the one I got is... Now you are trying to convince everyone that you got an awesome deal and your computer is better then the air for cheaper. What are we, in the 1990s again?

I hope you enjoy your lenovo, but how about you stop trolling apple fan sites?

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
Presenting an argument based on evidence and specifications is considered "trolling" around here? Wow, nice.

And actually, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything... it was you who started this "best and unbeatable" argument. I just presented some evidence which proves that there are comparable notebooks available, just not as thin or light as the Air.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

For point of clarity, a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter works fine on the Air -- I used the 3rd party one I already had a few days ago with my HDTV. 10/100 Ether also available via USB adapter if needed. I understand for some it's important to have the port built in and not need an adapter, it'd depend on preferences and frequency of need.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Presenting an argument based on evidence and specifications is considered "trolling" around here? Wow, nice.

And actually, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything... it was you who started this "best and unbeatable" argument. I just presented some evidence which proves that there are comparable notebooks available, just not as thin or light as the Air.

You can't just dismiss the "thin and light" as non-features. Guess what? I can get something even cheaper and even more powerful then your lenovo. In fact, it is sitting next to me right now. It is called a desktop computer. See how that works? :p

There is exactly one competitor to the Macbook Air (samsung series 9) currently in production. It failed to gain any market share. Your lenovo is not in the same league. Please stop pretending. Maybe some day soon some company will step up and build a competing product...

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
You can't just dismiss the "thin and light" as non-features. Guess what? I can get something even cheaper and even more powerful then your lenovo. In fact, it is sitting next to me right now. It is called a desktop computer. See how that works?

I'm not dismissing anything. You are acting as if all the Air competitors were huge heavy machines. Yes, they are not as light and thin, but only by a small margin. It's up to the customer to decide is this small difference is worth the 300 or 400 euro difference. Also, you conveniently leave out the fact, that Appple arrvived at the thininess and lightness of the Air by leaving out features. I have huge respect for Apple's design team, but at the same time, I feel that true innovation should mean improvement while keeping features, and not regression/sacrifice of established features, as it is the case with the Air.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not dismissing anything. You are acting as if all the Air competitors were huge heavy machines. Yes, they are not as light and thin, but only by a small margin. It's up to the customer to decide is this small difference is worth the 300 or 400 euro difference. Also, you conveniently leave out the fact, that Appple arrvived at the thininess and lightness of the Air by leaving out features. I have huge respect for Apple's design team, but at the same time, I feel that true innovation should mean improvement while keeping features, and not regression/sacrifice of established features, as it is the case with the Air.

The MacBook Air succeeded where previous ultraportables failed because of what they didn't leave out. From Day 1, it has had a full size keyboard, and a standard resolution screen. The early models didn't sell well, but since late 2010, the line has had sufficient connectivity, reasonable performance, good screen quality, and adequate capacity for a large number of people. The 2011 model has even better performance (effectively the same as most mainstream notebooks), and it sells at a reasonable price point. That sounds like innovation to me.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
This all started with the first post posting a NETBOOK and saying it is a competitor to the Air. This was refuted.

I hope you enjoy your lenovo, but how about you stop trolling apple fan sites?

Just to clarify, I didn't state that it's a macbook air competitor. I merely claimed that it's a different option for lighter users, which it most definitely is. For me, it fills the spot that would have been taken by a macbook air, and cost a heckuva lot less money. Yes, I said it's similar, but that was limited to its size and use for non-CPU-intensive applications.

What you did was infer that I meant it's a macbook air competitor and then created an argument that isn't relevant to what my intention was. I understand how you could come to that conclusion, and I should have been clearer in the original post. :eek:

There's really no need to get into a heated discussion about MBA vs. x120e. You have a macbook air and you like it, which is great. It's a fantastic computer. :D That was your choice for your needs/preferences, and the lenovo x120e is my choice for my needs/preferences.

Lastly, posting a discussion about a notebook (IMO it's a notebook ;)) that is very similar to the macbook air isn't trolling. :rolleyes: It's just a simple discussion. You're not exactly obligated to post in here, but if you have something to contribute, then great! :D By all means, contribute, contribute, contribute!!! :D That's what forums are for!! ;)

All in all, this thread is supposed to be a friendly discussion about the specific application of this notebook. (NOTEbook. :D)

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
Stop trolling, this has a crappy AMD processor, no SSD. It is no competition to the MBA, both are meant for completely different kinds of users.

No, you're trolling. You could've just ignored this topic.

the IGP (Radeon 6310) in the E-350 performs better then the HD 3000 (about twice as good, but that's still terrible at any resolution with any modern game). Gaming is mostly not a very cpu intensive thing, so this might be a 'competitor' in the (very basic) gaming laptop market.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
I dunno why people are comparing, these two machines, and complaining about the spec differences. That doesn't matter when. The really issue at hand is here is the fact these fickey machines are stuck on the architecture that should have been killed of years ago. We need to rise up and fight the Mac(or MB line in this case), by beating it and saying we are not going to be taking substandard specs, and the laziness shown off by cpu manufactures using old school architecture. I am sure the Lenovo is a fine machines(for this comment the architecture and OS are not factored in), specially with all their spill and food resistant abilities they posses. Would love to have the feature on my Powerbook, as who hasn't spilled a little food on their machine when eating and working at the same time when rushed.

minnus

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Yup, the specs say 4GB max but I went to Crucial and they sell a 8GB upgrade kit for it, and as minnus said his has it, so there you have it.

You know, for the price it's not a bad little laptop. minnus, how long to boot Windows with your SSD?

Sorry - got super busy super quick and couldn't respond in a timely manner.

From cold boot till fully loaded, 50 seconds. I do have random scripts that run which takes time (I undervolt my machine on boot for example, and PeerBlock) though.

----------

Why it wasn't returned when it was discovered the display was not up to your preferences is puzzling.

Much less spending even more money on it.

Seems as though there's something wrong with this picture.

I paid $330 for this laptop. An ultra-portable laptop with an acceptable screen for $330? I'd take it. Please note that my main set up is 3x U2410. For me, I don't need IPS quality screens on the go. The MBA isn't too much better either - they're all low-mid end TN panels.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
One thing this thread and others I've read elsewhere shows is just how AMD is rising in the low cost CPU market of late.

Started with the C50, E350 and now the newer A6 / A8 CPU lines are selling a lot of low cost machines under $400 with a performance ratio per dollar that is hard to beat.

Example is HP's $399 or less 14" G4 series using a quad core A6-3400m seems like a steal with it's HDMI out and handling 1080P video without issue. Asus's larger K53TA for a bit more adds dual graphics.

I would not call any of them an Air competitor,
but many who consider the Air will opt for the AMD based laptops
given they are 1/3 of the cost.

Last edited:

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011

UPDATE: I just snagged a new lenovo x120e for $268 w/ expedited shipping on ebay. :D I'm a rather happy person right now. :D:D:D

Sounds like a flaming turd /High 5 - it'sa Niceh!

I'm likea you - I like sexeh!

Enjoy and post a review!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.