This is getting OLD!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wateroksnmud, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

Dont get me wrong and think I'm trying to say that you all are full of it, but those that claim "better reception" with the iP4, I just cant understand it. I have had the iP, iP3G and iP3GS and iP4 all launch day. The iP4 is by far the worst reception I have had. Apple claims that there are 6.3% on the 3GS vs. 5.2% iP4. This percentage may be due to that when your phone suddenly "drops a call" and shows "Call Failed" They (Apple and AT&T) are not considering this a dropped call. After have over 40 "Call Failed"'s within the last week, I took the phone to apple and they ran a diagnostic test only showing 2-3 dropped phone calls over the last week. Not to mention that 50% of the phone "Call Failed" were to ATT while I had the phone laying on my desk on speaker phone so that I wouldn't "Antenna gate", but still dropped repeatedly.

I have a bumper on my phone, I am on 4.0.2, I have trouble shot with both AT&T and Apple, I have turned off 3G, I have turned my "Automatic Date and Time" to Manual and am going onto my 4th iP4.

It is so bad to the point, every time I make a phone call, I take a screen shot, and every time I get a "Call Failed" I take a screen shot so that you can see my reception is between 3 and 4 bars and the time's of the phone call. I have also gone to ATT's tower website and seen that I am within .25 miles of 1 tower, .5 miles of 2 towers and 1 mile of 4 towers. I should be having this problem.

Anyone else in this boat or is this a fluke?

2. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

3. Wateroksnmud thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that was fast :D

4. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

are you sure your face isn't ending the call due to the proximity sensor issue?

obviously, it's no secret that there is an antenna issue when you hold your finger in the correct place - apple has admitted it. putting my finger over the slit on the left side and holding it there caused the bars to slowly drop.

however, with a case i've had no issues, and i was pretty good about not putting my finger in that particular spot anyway.

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

This sums up the thread title, this is getting OLD.

6. Wateroksnmud thread starter macrumors regular

I'm aware of the antenna gate, and at time's hold the phone with two fingers near the top of the phone, hence why I bought the bumper and still have the problem. If I was ending due to proximity sensor then I would not get the call failed issue. Also I live downtown Denver, fur curiosity to those wondering where I'm having the issue.

7. Wateroksnmud thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe you should read it first and see that at time's I wasnt even holding the phone?

8. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

I was expectant of that. ^

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I was referring to his extremely now unfunny reply which has been used to death ever since Steve Jobs' email response.

If I was referring to your post I would have quoted it.

10. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

This.

11. node808 macrumors member

You should know by now that you cant trust what "Apple claims"....or what any company claims. We objective few know and accept the truth...the others are so biased that they cant even acknowledge facts. Apple products are basically poop filled twinkies...they look great, but thats about it. Distant 2nd to the king....Linux.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you jailbreak it and use the signals app?

How come all reputable reviewers are all saying it has better reception?

Must be a conspiracy.

13. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I have better reception on my iPhone 4 than my 3G/3GS. Where i would have no signal at all I would get 2-3 bars now. iphone 4 is my favourite iphone so far :)

14. solius macrumors regular

I used to get 3G at work. Now I fluctuate wildly from 3G to Edge :(, its really the only thing that bothers me.

15. shandyman Suspended

i get much better reception with my iPhone 4 than my 3G, up to 2 more bars than i used to, and i can hold it anyway i like since i don't have the antenna issue :)

16. aohus macrumors 68000

christ almighty, this is how you treat other apple users? glad android community is nicer than this.

ill give you cliffs note version of this thread

OP: my iP4 keeps dropping calls, what to do?

User comments
    - u holdin it wrong yo

- my iP4 reception is best service! sucks for you!

- my iP4 reception is best phone in world! sucks for you!

17. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

I live in a particularly weak signal area but find the iPhone 4 has a better signal more of the time than my 3G ever did.

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

OP what is it that you are looking for? Sympathy? Misery in numbers? Do you want MR members to sing Kum By Ya with you? No one here can help you. Get up off the key board and your but and take thee to an Apple store and show them.

19. winterny macrumors 6502

I upgraded from an iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4.
    I never used a case on my 3G, and planned to use the 4 the same way. After discovering that without a case, it's very easy to deathgrip the phone, and this caused me to drop calls, I got an Incipio Feather case. The phone now absolutely, without a doubt, gets better signal than the 3G did.

20. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Tell this to Apple, they approved this "phone".

21. dark55 macrumors member

I prefer to call it the iPhone 4 antennas design flaw/choice with real-world problems under certain circumstances involving the position of the user's hand on the phone in areas with low signal, but actually oversimplified and blown out of proportion by the media. Seems much more simple than "Antennagate". ;)

What is happening with your phone definitely doesn't sound normal, especially with your phone sitting on a desk. It's possible there is a problem with the AT&T tower that you're connected to. If this happens in different area where you would be using a different tower, there may be a problem with your phone. I would try to do a "restore as new phone" to see if that solves the issue. If not, you should probably make an appointment with the Genius Bar at the Apple Store.

22. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Yes it is getting old, but every time I call someone a name for complaining I get put in time out.

23. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I have better reception than my 3G. Places where I got no service, I do now. I don't know what to tell you bro. Maybe I have a totally awesome coverage area.

24. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I was in upstate NY about a month ago with my iPhone 4, and I was the only one with service and was able to make a call. Mom had an iPhone 3G and dad had a blackberry, both couldn't get signal. You really can go farther away from a tower with the iPhone 4; however, I do drop more calls in good reception areas... It's weird.

25. falconeight Guest

falconeight

return it, problem solved. I seem to have heard that before.