This is getting ridiculous

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheShinyMac, Aug 20, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

So we all love iTunes right? Well I know it needs a rewrite, but what are your thoughts on the horribly over priced song prices? Remember when Apple and the record companies changed them? They said the songs come in 3 new flavors, .69$ .99$. and now the ever common 1.29$ Flavor. This is ridiculous! 1 song isn't even worth 99 cents but 1.29 is highway robbery:eek: What can we do? I know there are the following options/
    1. Don't buy them
    2. Buy albums?
    3.?????

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

3. try amazon
    4. try used

I buy everything now pretty much used. I like having the physical media and I can rip them to anything I want. Most of the time I don't spend more then 2-5 bucks for a cd. I don't by the new releases usually, there are exceptions. I agree with the pricing thou. They, whether it be Apple or the Music Industry have to got to come down in the pricing. 99 cents is the max I will pay for just a song.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy from Amazon or get over it?

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you have access to a windows partition, Zune subscription gives you unlimited free streaming and (I think it's) 10 song downloads per month for $15

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What? iTunes is more than free Internet radio???

Thank God you have pointed me to the way of salvation.

Bless you. :)

6. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

If they raise it again, will you get over it? As you seem to have/ sorry if that sounded hostile

Isnt that DRM filled, as in you cannot put onto iPods/iPhones. Or more importantly once you cancel your account the music is frozen

Is going to the library renting and ripping music CDs illegal in MA? My friend was telling me he just does that

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I want to say it is.... others will chime in here I am sure.

Heck, try ebay also. You can get some great deals on there. 50 cd's for 20 bucks or so. Granted you may have some already but then again you can turn around and sell the ones you already have and make some of your money back!

8. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Hmm ebay does seem like a good idea

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Technically, library media comes along with the same rules and regulations as from anywhere else. But it's more on the honor system because there's no other way to really do it.

For example, you can download "Books on CD", actually MP3's obviously. And you still are only taking them out for X number of days or weeks. They have a due date. And on that due date you're supposed to stop using them, delete them, but during your borrow period you are allowed to burn them to CD and things like that to facilitate listening to it.

I doubt many people are using the honor system though. The only people that are, are people that aren't into technology. Maybe they don't know how to copy or rip a CD, and most people these days still don't know how to rip a DVD movie or what software you'd need to do so.

10. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

.69 doesn't exist anymore. if it's worth .69 cents, they'll make it the free download of the week.

11. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

is that true?

12. jr24 macrumors regular

the only thing i ever get from the itunes store is the free download.

as others have said, amazon and ebay are good. also: half.com, secondspin.com, thrift stores just to name a few. i've been listening to free streaming on last.fm lately and have found lots of new-to-me groups to listen to. so maybe the streaming would be enough for you.

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

It's a shame that when you mention Zune (other than attacking it), most people get agitated on this forum and at one point, you get insulted. Personally, the $15 deal sounds very good to me, if you can keep ten songs even after your account is cancelled/not renewed/expired. On the side note: I haven't got any issue with a brown music player. :)

I use Spotify and I love it. Now I hardly use iTunes, I mostly download a few podcasts (Internet marketing, The Economist) and the free songs occasionally. But to me, iTunes remains a bloated application with a store of overpriced digital content. It is ironic, but it's down to iTunes that I stopped listening to music on my iPods and iPhone. Music shouldn't be complicated and at no point should customers worry about compatibility or ownership of a purchased song.

14. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Really not trying to sound harsh but are you saying I insulted him? I was sharing what I believe happens when you use Zune. If I did then it was not intentional:eek:

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

All the songs on iTunes are DRM free. No compatibility or ownership issues anymore.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I believe you get to keep it ant most of it is DRM free.

http://www.zune.net/en-us/press/2008/1119-zunepass.htm

This is from 2008 so safe bet that it is 100% DRM free now.

So not a bad deal. Unlimited streaming and 10 DRM free downloads per month. That is around $10-12.90 per mouth of the subscription cost taken up by the downloads when compared to iTunes prices. most of the good songs on iTunes are at 1.29 each now. So much for that spread deal. They much max out the price and charge everything at 1.29 it seems.

17. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

can we change ridiculous to redonculous? Donkey is funnier than...

18. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I give another Vote to Amazon Picked up Avatar soundtrack for 7.99 and up for 5 and it works with iTunes/iPod as well now if Amazon makes a store client like iTunes for Kindle/music id be getting more stuff from there.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm......if that MS Zune Pass thing is that good, I may just get it. The 10 song downloads per month already make it worth the money, and then you get access to any song, any time, anywhere.

Spotify looks great, but without the free songs!

20. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

A guy I work with uses Limewire to download free music. I told him he was bad and that I would never think of doing such a thing.;)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It is expensive, that is why I don't buy from it. Same with TV shows so now I just record them from EyeTV.

22. bamaworks macrumors 6502

iTunes appears to be doing extremely well with their 'highway robbery' prices.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And people say I get worked up over nothing!

Another vote for Amazon then used CDs in eBay.

24. bamaworks macrumors 6502

+1

Used CDs are so ludicrously cheap, and you can rip them at the audio quality you desire.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Spotify.

And then sell them again :p