This is interesting but I disagree

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by chrisrosemusic1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

My friend just linked me to this interesting article regarding moving forward with the new iPhone 5 and it's lack of 'need' for a case.

Although, with 12 days use on a black 5 with a Snugg case I completely disagree. Yes, glass and aluminium are scratch free but I have 5 marks on the edge/bezel that now have no 'black' finish anymore and are showing the raw silver colour underneath.

http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why...d-why-you-wont-need-a-case-for-your-iphone-5/

Have you guys gone straight for protection or are rocking it without one? And your findings after 2 week usage?

I've decided to return mine now and wait for a white 32GB to come in stock. I can't be dealing with something brand new wearing that fast and I'm hoping the white/silver is less noticeable over time.

2. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Haven't ever used a case on any of my iPhones. (Started with the 3G).

I see even less of a reason to use one with my 5. I have a white 32GB that has lived in my pocked since purchase now. No marks, scratches or dings. Part of my like for these phones is the way they look. The slim size etc. Why on earth would I want to cover that up with a "case"? If it gets beat to death over the next two years, it will be time for a new one anyway. It's a phone, not a life support device. :D

3. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Yeah I guess this is true. I like to upgrade every year though so I try to keep them in as good condition as possible for a higher re sale value.

A few of my friends opted for white, and as much as I don't like how 'shiny' they are I think they will be the ones to look less beaten over the next 12 months.

Just wish I'd ordered a 32 white in the first place to avoid all this hassle of being without one for 2-3 weeks lol.

C'est la vie.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I used to use a variaty of cases on my 3GS, but found that they tend to cause more scratches.

If anything gets trapped between the case and phone it can result in a lot of scratches.

I had no case on my iPhone 4s for over a year and it was as good as new.

I intend to do the same with the 5.

5. lepeos macrumors member

That article was written September 13th. 8 days before the outbreak of Scuffgate.

6. R1PPER macrumors 6502

My 5 has a bumper on it, but i have notice lots of tiny pit marking from dust trapped under bumper. But i think pits are better than scratches. i would go naked but i have 2 young children and the iphone comes in handy at pacifying them at times. I think a bumper is minimum impact on the design and weight but adds just enough protection if its dropped down the stairs.

7. Tulsa macrumors member

First thing I did was put a screen protector and a case on it. I did it with my 4 and now I'm getting ready sell a pristine 4. If I want to show it off to someone, I can take the case off, otherwise for daily use it rides in the case. I've seen it, I know what it looks like there's no reason to not avoid the avoidable mishap.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

naked with applecare+....always have and always will. I think cases are dumb because half the reason I buy the phone is the way it looks. Screen protectors feel weird and get dirty easy.

I'd rather pay $50 if I drop it and get a new phone

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Out of all the things in this world, you use your iPhone to pacify your children? Wow. Business must be good.

10. Robin Chung macrumors member

Robin Chung

Still waiting for mine. Yes the white one will stand the test of time miles better but I saw the black one and was sold. Instantaneously.

Can't wait, probably another week or two to wait. 64GB black are shipped in minority :(

11. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Black model here that I got on launch day; almost two weeks now case free and it's "scuff" free. All I do is put it in its own pocket, but otherwise I use it like I've used my old iPhones without any problem.

12. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I do too. Why is that so strange? My kids are really good at knowing to be careful with it. Plus, if an accident does happen, that's what Applecare+ is for. They also use my iPad regularly too. I have a bunch of educational apps on them for my younger child, plus digital books and movies for both the younger and older child. It's a different time now. Kids in my generation played with GI Joe guys and Barbie. Today's it's iPads and iPhones.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I guess it depends on the age of the kids. I have a 14-month-old, and she's my first. While she likes trying to touch screens on the family iPad & my iPhone, it's a constant task to put things out of her ever-elongating reach. :eek:

I guess I can see it for kids getting older, but why not just get a used or old iPad/iPod Touch? I'm clumsy enough to break my iPhone myself; there's no reason for me to tempt fate by giving it to my kid(s). :)