This Is Just Wrong!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xcuzememizz, Jun 15, 2009.

1. xcuzememizz macrumors newbie

2. TheMBC macrumors 6502

We still don't know how their data/Internet is going to be "affected..."

3. The General macrumors 601

If you are incapable of managing your money properly and need a pay as you go plan, then you probably shouldn't buy an iPhone. They are expensive.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Who cares? All carriers are bound to piss people off sooner or later.

FYI this is a semi unfair statement. My nephew has a PAYG plan because he is 9 and the phone is to be used only when he needs a ride home from school/friends if he finds himself stranded.

The adult in the house manages finances just fine. :rolleyes:

5. The General macrumors 601

And your 9 year old nephew doesn't have an iPhone, does he?

6. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I dont pay as i go so i dont really care lol.

Yea i know that was kind of mean, sorry

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok fair point. He has whatever that freebie $20 phone was because ... well he is 9. ;)
    But still. It kinda sounded off.

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Seconded. I don't think having a pay as you go contract has anything to do with financial responsibility. Most people just like it because they don't want to be locked into a two-year contract...they still have the option to opt for something else without penalty at any point they choose to.

9. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Maybe it is cheaper for THEM in the long run. They need to make a profit somewhere trying to upgrade their network to handle all the new data traffic created by the iPhone. Since many people are b*tching about 3G coverage and speed, they need to have more money to upgrade everything to 7.2 then 4G networking.

10. brax.j macrumors regular

Is that even possible?

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Your thread title is correct the article is wrong. Here is the official announcment from AT&T

GoPhone Problem with data on OS 3.0

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/popups/gophone-customer-important-information.jsp

Dave

12. The General macrumors 601

I see what you mean, but I can't think of a situation in which someone would be old enough to have an iPhone and yet need pay as you go, unless they are having financial trouble - in which case they shouldn't have an iPhone.

13. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have to side with you... if your in a bad financial situation, you probably should take on a iPhone

14. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I can pay for an iPhone and $90 per month, but I only use maybe 10 minutes of talk time per month, a bunch of texting, and a little data. It's called not wasting your money on service you don't need, not being in financial trouble ;)

15. genmic macrumors regular

PAYG was a better deal with the first gen phones. I didn't have to sign a two-year contract or pay any deposits because I didn't (then) have credit.

16. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

but the 3Gs is not for those users

17. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

That's not the point. Everyone has their reasons so don't be so quick to judge.:)

18. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

How can you only talk for 10 minutes a month? Why even have a phone?

19. The General macrumors 601

You're spending gobs of money on a phone and you're worried about a few extra bucks a month?

Again, $600 on the iPhone. You're going to have a phone for 2 years either way. Pay as you go to save money is just being pointlessly frugal, especially after spending so much on the phone to begin with.

Exactly. The iPhone is a luxury phone that people get because it's awesome and they can afford it. If you have to worry about 3 extra dollars on your bill because that's the difference between being able to feed your family and not feed your family, then you shouldn't have an iPhone to begin with.

I've still yet to hear a reason that doesn't concern money. You can save money, you have bad credit, etc. Those are the reasons to get a pay as you go plan. Those are also reason NOT to buy an iPhone.

20. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah but rarely is that the right decision since you usually get 30 days to try out a network in the first place.

There are few cases where it makes sense to get a pay as you go plan, unless you have no other choice.

21. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'm on a GoPhone Pick Your Plan, on an iPhone 3G, running 3.0. Everything is working fine. I wonder what will happen on the 17th. The CSR I just spoke to told me I have nothing to worry about. But we all know how much weight that carries.

For the record, I'm financially stable, have great credit, jut refuse to sign my life over to AT&T for 2 years. I'm a musician, so my income isn't steady enough to guarantee paying on time every month. So I didn't sign a contract. Which is why I have great credit.

I also don't use even half of the lowest level of minutes per month. A lot of texts, and a bucket of data, though.

22. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Seriously why would you have a Pay As You Go Plan with an iPhone, that is like having racing slicks on and off road truck, sure it works, but it is not the best way to do things.:eek:

Realize all wireless carriers will eventually get rid of prepaid and pay as you go, they want that guaranteed income on a yearly or 2 year contract, besides you get better stuff when you have a contract. ;)

Go out get a 3G or 3GS and get on the two year contract, this way you do not have to worry about minutes or have to watch how much data you use, especially with the new features on 3.0 or the 3GS phone. ;)

23. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Maybe he uses VOIP. I only use about 60 minutes out of a family plan of 1400 but about 1 GB of data.

24. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Why do people care so much about why some people are on PAYG with an iPhone? Some people just don't like commitment. Some just don't have the credit but are able to pay monthly.

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

I use pay as you go for data on AT&T with my iPhone when I'm in the US. If someone isn't always in the US, why bother paying for cell service over a contract when he/she won't be using it? I'd imagine that for many it has more to do with how the phone is used than finances.