This Is Not Good...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GDVI, Jul 24, 2010.

1. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

My hands are telling my mind that no protection (case and screen protection) is needed for my iPhone 4 but, my mind is telling my hands that stuff happens and my heart is telling them both to shut up because its too beautiful of a device to keep unprotected, with or without insurance! ha.

Point of this thread:
    1.)Personally, do you think scratch protection (i.e screen and/or back) is needed?

2.) Drop protection?

3.) Is a Bumper enough for your average user? By average I mean a bit overly protective ha.

Thanks for responses!

:apple:

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

3. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Yes.
    Yes.
    NO!

I'm very protective, but I still wouldn't trust the bumper.

IS a Bumper enough for your average user? Yes, just until you drop your iP4! LOL

On all my iDevices I always use Speck Candyshell/Incase Slider and a PowerSupportUSA Anti-Glare film. I've grown to love this combination.

4. epictempo macrumors regular

1. Yes, mine is all scratched up on both sides already. That heli glass didn't do much good.

2. Yes

3. I actually do think the bumper is enough for most users. The plastic protrudes a bit so most likely it'll drop on an edge and it raises the phone a bit off a table (alleviates the scratches). I just didn't like the fact that it would squeak a bit, not a snug fit.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

No- I've never used a screen protector in 2.5 years, and I've never had a scratched screen.

No- didn't have a case on my 1st gen, used a Seidio Innocase II on my 3GS. I don't think it was really meant to protect against drops.

Yes- a bumper (albeit the Scosche one) is all I will use. If I ever get the Apple bumper that I ordered as my free case, maybe I'll try that one out.:rolleyes:

6. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I baby my stuff and I still purchased an Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4.

7. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

1) Depends on how meticulous you are. If you can notice the smallest of scratches then yes. If not then no.
    2) It's a huge compromise between aesthetics and so called "safety". How careful are you? Are you the type to drop phones a lot? I honestly don't think it's necessary unless you really just toss your phone around and mishandle it all day.
    3) The bumper doesn't actually do anything but look pretty and possibly alleviate the reception issue.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^I don't agree with this statement.

The bumper allows you to put your iP4 down on a flat surface without that surface touching (and potentially scratching) the back or front of your iP4.

9. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Just dropped my iPhone 4. Actually, I sorta knocked it from my hand whilst trying to lay it down on my kitchen table at an awkward angle. So it hit the metal table leg and then the floor. Some heart-stopping stuff. Immediately I'm thinking, Oh no! Had a case on it. My trusty Dexim silicon. It landed face down. Fell from about 3 feet. Goes to show even very careful people have accidents every now and then. Get a case, people!

10. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Fine, it offers very limited protection under very limited circumstances.

The black bumper also helps it from sliding if you put it on slightly sloped surfaces.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I wouldn't call it limited. I always put my iPhone down on my desk, coffee table, dining table, night table, you get the picture. Without a bumper, I would have to carry a microfiber cloth around with me.

When I had the 3GS, I wouldn't put it down on a surface if it wasn't in a case either.

Only the black one?:confused:

;)

12. 101AirAssault macrumors member

This video begs to differ!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZba_sgnGQw

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Haha okok =P

The black one is made of a different type of rubber than the colored ones. When I compared mine to my friend's black one, the black one was more "rubbery" than the colored one.

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I dropped my phone 4+ feet, no damage what-so-ever. I think it all depends on luck and more importantly how it lands. Mine landed square on its back when it slid off the bar after I nearly spilt a drink on it in a drunken moment.

Most everything has a chance to break when you drop it, either get insurance, a case, or have cash to spare for a replacement/repair. Pay to play, this (owning a iPhone) isn't a need its a want.

15. GDVI thread starter macrumors regular

GDVI

Is anyone here rocking the Apple Bumper WITHOUT screen and/or back protectors?

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Umm, kind of? I still have the original "protector" that was on the back when I was given a replacement unit. I just cut the bottom that was covering the speakers/30 pin-connector. I feel a case completely masks the new look, and I totally want to show it off.

17. GDVI thread starter macrumors regular

GDVI

I agree. I really want to feel the bare glass but I'm pretty sure it'll get scuffed up even though I'm pretty careful with it.

18. Kevio macrumors regular

Good video. This actually gives me faith in the green bumper that I just paid too much money for on Ebay. Black one will be here in a few months if Apple allows.

19. churchrd macrumors member

I first put Zagg on mine when i got it. I hated the feel of it though, and took the front shield off after a couple weeks. I don't have a bumper on mine either.

Front glass is still pristine after going naked now a couple weeks in my pocket.

I actually dropped it today while getting out of my car. It fell 3-4 ft to the concrete. Ended up face down with out a scratch. I got scared for a second.

20. moobey macrumors newbie

For me, screen protectors aren't worth it. The screen protector is worse than the tiny scratches that you can only see at certain angles when the screen is off. Didn't have one on my 3GS and don't have one on the 4, no problems yet.

Also I think it's more the oleophobic coating that is being scratched in most cases rather than the glass. Not that it makes much of a difference I suppose.