This is so false advertisement!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ainjo1919, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

2. compg318 macrumors regular

Up to -Keyword

Those are perfect condition specs anyway

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

300 hours standby time my a$$.
    I let mine sit on my desk at work today and only sent 4 quick text messages all day long. No internet, no phone calls... just let it sit there.
    It was fully charged after charging all night long and I unplugged mine a 6:00 AM when I got up.
    By 4:30 PM I was down to 40%... and that was with WiFi and 3G turned off.

I suspect a software update or potential recall in the near future.

4. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

If you turn 3g off, push notifications off, push email off, fetch off, bluetooth off, have 5 bars signal, on a 1900 mhz tower, wi-fi off, location services off, screen brightness all the way down, auto brightness off, ask to join networks off, data roming off, call forwarding on, and stay in a 70*f temerature room.....

sure you could get that kind of result...

Just read apples testing fine print....

All battery claims depend on network configuration and many other factors; actual results will vary. Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries and www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html for more information.
    Talk Time

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction iPhone 3GS units and software. iPhone 3GS units were connected to a 1900MHz network or an 850MHz network. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction iPhone 3G units and software. iPhone 3G units were connected to a 1900MHz network or a 2100MHz network. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Wi-Fi was enabled but not associated with a network. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
    Standby Time

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction iPhone 3GS units and software. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction iPhone 3G units and software. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Wi-Fi was enabled but not associated with a network. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
    Internet Use over 3G

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction iPhone 3GS units and software. Internet over 3G tests were conducted over a 1900MHz 3G network using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, 3G connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction iPhone 3G units and software. Internet over 3G tests were conducted over a 1900MHz 3G network using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Wi-Fi was enabled but not associated with a network. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, 3G connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
    Internet Use over Wi-Fi

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction iPhone 3GS units and software. Internet over Wi-Fi tests were conducted using a closed network and dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off; WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, Wi-Fi connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction iPhone 3G units and software. Internet over Wi-Fi tests were conducted using a closed network and dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off; WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, Wi-Fi connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
    Video Playback

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction iPhone 3GS units and software. Video content consisted of a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction iPhone 3G units and software. Video content consisted of a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Wi-Fi was enabled but not associated with a network. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
    Audio Playback

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction iPhone 3GS units and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks, a combination of content imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and content purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction iPhone 3G units and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks, a combination of content imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and content purchased from the iTunes Store (128-Kbps AAC encoding). All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Wi-Fi was enabled but not associated with a network. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

5. Torq macrumors regular

The numbers seem to match my experience so far.

Right now I am at 2.5 hours usage time (mix of activities, some MUCH more intensive than just browsing - some on 3G, some via WiFi, such as half an our playing Real Racing), with about 16 hours standby time. Battery is at 54%.

And that is with the screen at about 90% brightness (auto disabled), not the minimum setting that Apple likely used to get those numbers.

I have WiFi, 3G, BlueTooth, Nike+, Push (BeeJive) and Location Services all on.

Those are going to be, like every other battery-powered device I have ever seen, numbers taken from the best-case scenario (everything off, screen at minimum brightness). They are holding up for me in a non-best case situation.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I dunno about "false advertisement," but I sure can't complain. Had the thing since 9 a.m. Friday and haven't seen the 20% popup yet...

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So pretty much settings that noone would ever use on an average day :D

8. ainjo1919 thread starter macrumors regular

So basically, if you really want to enjoy everything on the iPhone, you need all the settings On(wifi,3g,bluetooth,push, etc.), but the battery will drain fast.

But if you want better battery life as they put on the specs, you need to turn everything off(wifi,3g,bluetooth,push, etc.) and set your brightness to almost nothing?

9. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

yep...

An honest # of hours with everything on at full blast is 2.5 hours - 3 hours.

10. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

And yet on my 3G I have 3g on, wifi on, bluetooth on, Beejive push on, locaton services on, 3 hours 45 minutes of usage and 40% battery left.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yep.. the second day I had mine, I turned everything on and went nuts just to see how long it wold go before dying.
    I got the 20% battery warning after a little more than 2 hours of surfing, browsing the app store and talking on the phone.

I also learned that WiFi speeds blow on the 3.0 software. 3G was faster.
    My 2G iPhone running 2.2.1 got better data rates on WiFi than the 3G S is getting right now. :confused:

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Good grief. There's always somebody with something to complain about.

Think about what the iPhone 3GS does. Seriously...think about everything it does and then think about how small this amazing device is. I think it's pretty freaking incredible!

If you don't like it, go and get yourself a plain-jane phone or make one that's better.

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The real big drainer of battery is push unfortunately. It's basically constantly communicating with Apple's servers and well all that talking doesn't come without some expenditure of energy.

Leave push on overnight (8 hours) I lose about 50%. Turn it off, and it probably doesn't even show any change in % remaining.

And

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

You must have something wrong with your iPhone. I've been running push and location services full time for a long time, and my battery barely moves overnight.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Hmm. Does the wifi disconnect when you put your phone to standby? (because it's never connected when I wake it up) And maybe since the signal where I am is kinda weak, it's probably using a bit extra battery to boost the cellular signal connection.

In any case, I don't have much need for push, so it's not a loss for me to leave it off.

16. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Maybe you should sell your iPhone and buy a cheapo flip phone and stop complaining. What do you expect from a device that has multiple wireless radios, large screen, powerful processor, and many services running?

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

my 2G's battery is still running strong.. goto an AT&T store and tell me the specs on all the batteries there too. not too far off.

i keep wifi on at home+work, and listen to the iPod in the car ~30 minutes each way, make a few phone calls, do some facebook checking/twittering/textfreeing/beejiving all day, and talk at night for at least 2 hours

i can run for 2 or 3 days without seeing the 20% popup. when i run Assassin's Creed, or The Sims 3 for a while though.. that's when i start noticing a steady decline in battery life.

turn wifi, bluetooth and make sure you have full service + aren't checking mail/push servers and then lock it - tell me you don't get that around the 300 hour mark

18. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

What exactly is this phone good for if you gotta turn off all the features the phone is supposed to have? That is inconvenient and impractical to have people turn all these things off.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you read my post you would see i was talking about stand by time - then stated i can get at least 3 full days using all of the features out of the battery in my 2 year old iPhone 2G

20. LiquidThunderLT macrumors member

I'm coming from a 2G and the battery on my 3GS dies noticably faster, or at least that's how it seems to me. Could also be that I can't take my hands off the damn thing.

21. cmaier macrumors G3

3G definitely chews battery faster than 2G.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Eh... I'm a little disappointed in the battery performance as a whole, but I've accepted that it is what it is.
    If Apple does release an update that improves battery life, great. If not, I can deal with it.
    I'm fortunate enough to work where I can have my phone plugged in all day long if I want to.
    It does suck for road trips, but that's what car chargers are for. ;)