This Is Unbelievable, But It's True

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rmbrown09, Oct 23, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Ok a couple things to preface, and I am going to be completely honest right now.

1. I have had to spell check 3 things upto this point.

2. This is because I am currently quite drunk

3. This is because I am on a college campus attending uni

4. This is because I like school and money

5. oka anyways, this just happened, and I know I may be pretty gone, but what just happened is real.

I am pretty done for the night, and so my buddies kind of just of took me to my room and said go to bed, which was cool. They came in for a second, and one of my buddies (who also has a MBP) sat down at mine.

I am a hound about security on my MBP, and so after 3 mintes or 5 seconds of the screen saver you need a password, I also have locktight.

He jumped on my computer, and so I ran over and used my key combo to lock my computer up instantly. I was like ha!

I 100% know that I have not mentioned a word about my password, and that it is virtually impossible to guess. I ABSOLUTELY know there is no way he guessed it. 0

What did next freaked me out, a lot. He entered a master reset password. A password that unlocks all systems. I was like WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!?!?!?!

hes like yea I have an uncle that works for Apple, he's the current CEO of his project and he told it to me. I know he didn't guess my pass. He knows, and I didn't even know it existed, but there is a master password to login to every mac. damn.

After that login my expose and whole computer was freakinsly sluggish and choppy, but the activity monitor showed almost no CPU usage, so I know something was different. I know he didn't do anything after the login, and he was slightly drunk too, so I assume he just used it without thinking to counter my haha's/// but there you have it. I asked him what it was but he would not say at all, his uncle obviously would be in a world of stuff. But he said it's very elaborate obviously.

I dunno why I am typing this, probably because my BAL is above .1% but I still think that is crazy. A mater reset unlock password. Damn.

also I restarted after he logged in with that pass, and now everything is back to normal. I can assure you guys, there is 0% chance he guessed my pass, and whatever he did enter messed up the MBP and unlocked it. It was sluggish in ways that it has never been. Going to macrumors made Chrome crash 5 times, but programs like system prefs were instant. It was a choppy lag like nothing else.

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Drunk and on the internet?
    Back away from the computer, and go to bed.
    This is the best advice I can give you right now.

And master password? Yeeeah... no.

3. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

then explain what happened. Also, I won't go to bed till I am not as buzzed, helps not get hangovers.

I know what I saw. It wasn't just the fact he guessed a 1 in a million pwd in 2 seconds, it's that the computer acted in a strange way that it NEVER has. And I pay very close attention to how it runs. expose was completely choppy, even with nothing open and the activity monitor showing almost 0 cpu use.

so either 1 of 2 things are true.

1. He guessed a crazy password I have never said a thing about, in about 2 seconds, and it was a coincidence that the MBP acted like it never has before, and after the restart is fine again.

2. He told the truth, I know he is from Cali, and he really does know the master, whatever pwd.

Either way he's getting interrogated tomorrow.

lastly, to see if perhaps he was joking with me I went and listend at the door(they had closed it, and don't live in the same dorm to realize the walls are paper) as they left, I heard my buddy go "how did you guess that?"
    he responded with "I didn't, my uncle really works there" "Oh, well tell me!" "no I can't haha"

This was well after the joke would have been over.

4. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

That is all.

5. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I know absolutely what I said, and it there was no way it would have lead to my password being guessed, because I said nothing about it.

At this point in my brain, I do not need to convince people, what happend is true, there is a master password to unlock all macs. there are 3 things about me being drunk that have always been true.

1. I do not get hangovers.

2. I can always text and type even if I cannot verbally speak well.

3. I always remember everything, no matter how much I have had.

and I haven't even gone to bed yet. ITS TRUE< I AM FREAKING TELLIN YOU GUYS

I may feel like an idiot in the morning for how I said this whole post, but what happened will not differ.

6. mac8867 macrumors 6502

This whole thread just goes to prove, Friends should not let friends rumor drunk.

I am thinking of starting a foundation called MADR (Mac'ies against drunken rumors)

7. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

I hope we hear back from OP in his sober state. :D

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

9. mac8867 macrumors 6502

You mean the "All access password"... it's not.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

he is now watching you everytime you login ... and uploading pics of you online also

you might as well make him your friend on Facebook now

and really this belongs on Twitter ... not MacRumors

11. moel macrumors 6502

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

This thread is a prime candidate to get moved over to the "wasteland"....

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it is.
    No, it's not.
    :rolleyes:

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

How about this:

Change your password and let your friend try to log in.

You will know the answer immediately.

15. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

as a drunk person you're grammar is superb.

now maybe he saw what you were typing and then just typed it back? drunk people dont have a good memory so that might have transpired.

16. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Yup, change the pw and bet 50$ with your friend. Both sober.

17. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Cool Story Bro

And pics or it didn't happen.

These ^^^

And OP. "Password" with a capital 'P' isn't a secure password. ;)

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

His friend would have to be drunk to bet $50 on something like this. The OP should probably be sober this time, though.

19. mac8867 macrumors 6502

ROFL... except, he was drunk every time he needed it, so it's spelled "Passthword"

20. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

ok just woke up, on 5 hours of sleep and I'm going right back to bed, but yes, I will change my pwd and see if he can do it today.

Last night I couldn't think of a way to really prove it.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ahhhh Lol!

22. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Ah, the old backdoor entry into any program security scenario. Myth or Reality? Let us now when the password is changed and he re-attempts. We are all waiting with baited, oops, beer breath.

23. JackSpearo macrumors regular

will be interesting to see what happens today since he is not drunk...

I'm sure he's gonna post something like, "oh wow, I really did tell him my password, I was so drunk I didn't remember!"

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

rmbrown lay off the crack bro
    college is tough at first you'll get used to it man

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

About the only way to keep this thread from heading to the Wasteland later today is to actually POST this "master password" as proof it works ;)