This is what Apple watch should be

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by atlatnesiti, Apr 15, 2015.

1. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

A few things:

- This thread discusses why apple went rectangle instead of circle

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1866943

- Given the nature of a smart watch you wouldn't even see the face in the video you posted most of the time because the screen would be off to conserve battery. You'd see a black circle on people's wrists.

3. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing. So we can assume you won't be buying the Apple Watch. I can tell you for sure that I won't be buying what is in that video. It looks hideous to me. I can only assume you work for that company.

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

That is pretty cool but definitely not Apple.

5. Speechless macrumors 6502a

6. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

You have questionable tastes in my humble opinion.

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

That thing looks like a barbecue grill designed by Liberace.

8. AS90 macrumors regular

AS90

9. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

But isn't this a "real" mechanical watch with a smartwatch screen superimposed over it when necessary? When the smartwatch elements weren't being used, you would just see the traditional watch. Seems really clever, actually, although I don't know how it would work in practice.

EDIT: It's worth noting that these apparently start at around $1200.

10. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

It's also important to note that all the pictures are computer renderings with the overlay screen made to look a lot better than they actually do.

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I think that this is a nice men's watch. As a woman I wouldn't even think about buying this. Part of the apple watch's appeal is that it is attractive for both men and women, so Apple would never use this design, for good reason.

12. AS90 macrumors regular

AS90

Most men would swerve this monstrosity too :)

13. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

They've been in 'pre-order' status since last summer. The watches still haven't been produced.

They're hard to read, even with the 40% transparency models.

Round faces are good for exactly one thing: following the traditional round watch face. They're terrible for being efficient with space, text, etc.

It's a sexy looking promo youtube vid, but when you start looking at the website and thinking about the implications, not so much.

14. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I think it looks glorious personally.
    But then it does look quite thick and also is fake due to not showing what it would really look like with only partly transparent screen.

Not apple by any means, but awesome.

15. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

* how long does it take to change the watch face on that?
    * mechanical + digital. The easiest way to clog up the pipes is to complicate the plumbing.

I wouldn't want one of those.

16. Cyberstven macrumors regular

I personally think that this is where we could be headed long term. I am extremely bullish on the Apple watch. I purchased a Microsoft Band for the fitness/sleep tracking functionality (where obviously didn't turn out to be great), but I "saw the light" in terms of having a smart device on my wrist. I pre-ordered a watch for myself...convinced others to pre-order, etc.

That being said, I am a huge mechanical watch fanatic, and I am struggling with what happens to my other watches. I'm considering just double fisting as well as switching to the double neck ties seen in Back to the Future II :).

At the end of the day, I think a device that does 100 different things will "win" over a device that simply tells the date and time. The biggest concern I have about the Apple watch is that everyone is going to have the same damn watch. Sure, there will be different bands, but I feel like it might get a bit boring with everyone having a rectangular screen on their wrist. Watches have been such a great conversation piece for me, and I often bond with people who have the same, or similar watches.

Apple obviously can and will change the shape over time, but I think it would be so cool if the apple watch simply becomes a chip, and sapphire crystal that can be integrated in any mechanical watch. I would easily pay extra to integrate "watch OS" into a true luxury watch that I can pass down to my children.

Time will tell, but I think it is silly to slam someone for thinking that this is an ideal solution.

17. die444die macrumors member

This is a very good point. I found a video of the actual watch to compare:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31957143

18. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Oh god no, not the Moto design! Anything but that! I hate the "perfect circle sitting atop a band" design! It's so plain and boring; simplicity overdone!

Also, according to the Kairos website, their smartwatch is 17.1mm thick.. that's nearly 70% thicker than the Apple Watch. I wonder how those who think the AWatch is too thick would feel about that?

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yeah, it's actually a pretty cool concept.

Limited thinking naysayers concentrate on the particular shape of the initial model, but the general idea is really good.

Correct. In real life, the screen is nice, but it's difficult to see the watch underneath. Still, things can only improve. We're in the early stages of a lot of this stuff.

Darn tooting. We should all be wearing highly efficient text displays like this:

gear-s-msg2.jpg

Because blind efficiency always trumps fashion and personal desires.

20. Zcott macrumors 68020

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

That's all just CGI, isn't it?

Edit: NM. I see there's a prototype out now.

22. Dub1ous macrumors regular

Dub1ous

It looks kind of cool, but the design looks really complicated. And I'll be surprised if the screen functionality works nearly as well as in the CG renderings.

23. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I don't like it. Also it looks like it has an exhaust fan grill from my computer in it