This is what the Apple Watch should be.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ALittleDrive, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

I was trying to photoshop, but I suck at photoshopping. So, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I love my Apple Watch, but the design could be soooo much better, and probably will be.

I think the design should be wider and flatter, covering more of your arm and replacing the iPhone. A real iPhone on your arm, adhering to the contours of your arm and providing as much content space as your iPhone 6.

:apple::apple::cool::cool:

2. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

No

3. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

That's the exact opposite of the idea behind the Apple Watch. It's not meant to be a phone strapped to your wrist, but an extension to it.

4. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

5. ALittleDrive thread starter macrumors regular

why no?

i don't get why you need bulky watch and phone. combine the 2 and put it on your arm. done.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I love how every idea or wish for the Apple watch turns it into an iPhone. :rolleyes:

7. ALittleDrive thread starter macrumors regular

that's so 2015.

8. JohnApples macrumors 65816

If someone posts that ugly Moto-looking, flat and round Apple Watch render, I quit.

9. CarloVonSexron macrumors member

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Great idea. Tell you what, take an iPhone and two rubber bands and make it happen. Let us know how it goes. Can't wait to see your photos.

12. ALittleDrive thread starter macrumors regular

hilarious. right, because I want something that is not an Apple. product.

I LOVE MY APPLE WATCH.

I'm just being forward thinking. Why would anyone want 2 items, when they can have both in 1 item.

Has anyone ever seen any SCI-Fi. This Apple Watch is opening my eyes to what we should have. And that is one product, on your wrist, that acts as everything.

It seems like a joke because you can't visualize it yet.

The cell phone was a joke in 1985.

----------

the hostility is palpable. and hilarious. not sure why.

check my other posts.

i'm probably the biggest fan of this watch possible!!

try to understand what i'm talking about please.

13. H3rman macrumors 6502

No, just no! A watch should be a beautiful piece of jewellery. Not some big ugly piece of tech on your wrist. This is what I like about the :apple: Watch. It is the first smart watch that looks as beautifully crafted and elegant as a normal watch, and can be used as a basic as one. However the tech and notifications, etc are just a bonus feature so you can see what's going on with your phone without having to pull it out.

A watch should remain a watch, and a phone should remain a phone. The fact that watches are supposed to be beautifully crafted and elegant is the exact reason why I don't think any smart watch manufacturer will put the real watch makes out of business. Apple have done a great job of combining the classical watch making elegancy with modern tech, and that is the exact reason it is such a big hit in my opinion.

If they made what you suggested it would be a horrible flop that the general public would avoid in favour of traditional watches.

14. ALittleDrive thread starter macrumors regular

That's like saying in 1985, if they put out a cell phone, it would be a horrible flop because they look ridiculous.

True. I am in agreement with you.

Or, try to visualize a flat pad on your arm that does everything. Clear, flat, contoured to your arm. Brings up images either on it's surface or hologram.

Things move so slowly because people are so stuck in the way they do things and how they perceive the world.

Talking to your watch seems insane right now. But, I've been doing it non-stop for the last 24 hours.

15. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I think people understand your idea, it's just not a good one.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The watch speaker is too quiet to replace my iPhone, also I've said this a million times here, let's not bring back Speakerphone culture, and not everyone will buy a BT headset to use with your watch.

17. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I want a watch. Not a phone on my wrist. Kinda like the 6+. That's just way to big for my uses. I don't understand why someone needs a bigger screen for the watch. Just get an original iPhone and put that on your wrist.

18. H3rman macrumors 6502

I think if you go have a read on the history of the mobile phone you'll see that Motorola made the first ever mobile on 3rd April 1973. The first commercial 1G networks came live in Tokyo in 1979! Problem back then is they were big, bulky, used a lot of power, didn't work great and were ridiculously expensive.

It's not about people being stuck in their ways. It about having a good idea, implementing it properly and making it affordable to the masses.

Your biggest problem is that it's not a good idea to begin with.

19. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I agree. The watch is always going to be small and has to be 1 handed... It is a different device, not a new form factor for the phone. People don't get this for some reason, or maybe they just don't like the idea of spending all that money on an expensive bluetooth accessory... I can sympathize, but it is what it is.

20. ALittleDrive thread starter macrumors regular

Now that's love. Love it.

Good talk. Thanks.

----------

The phone has to be rotary. It has to be attached to a wire. Your car has to have 4 wheels. You have to drive your car yourself, a computer can't do it. Gravity is binding, you can't defy gravity.

You have to hold a phone in your hand. Talking to a computer is silly. Computers are not smarter than people. Computers could never think of something a human can.

No, I get it. Great debate. Thanks.

21. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If you're going to post an opinion, be prepared for criticism. Your idea for mounting a curved phone on your arm is not going to be a popular one, despite your misconception that it's a "better" idea than the current design of the Apple Watch. People are not looking to mount bigger, more obvious devices to their bodies.

Sorry you're not feeling the "love", but clearly your idea is not a popular one. Getting defensive isn't going to change people's reactions to your watch analysis.

22. ALittleDrive thread starter macrumors regular

Not getting defensive dude. I actually, sincerely do love it.

This is actually fun!

Just looking for one other person to make this worthwhile.

Have a good day.

23. Mac128guy macrumors member

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Even if you could make the watch your main carry around device to do everything, that would be an awful compromise. There is going to be at least SOMETHING during the day that you're going to need to do on your iPhone screen, not a small watch screen, and you're not going to be able to do it due to space and functionality limitations. Apple knows this, and that's why they're comfortable with requiring the phone to use the watch.

I was actually thinking the same thing at first, and then I thought about how much I check Twitter during the day. I would NOT want to do that on my watch, and I DEFINITELY don't want the Apple Watch's screen to be any bigger than it already is.

25. IndomitableBana, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

IndomitableBana macrumors member

This is a pretty hostile forum and I'm sorry that people have responded in such a typically glib and inconsiderate manner, but I guess that's the internet. (FWIW, you do come across as defensive in your later posts, but I can't blame you. The whole tone of the thread soured very quickly. I think maybe people didn't appreciate your use of the would "should" rather than 'could.' I'm sure it wouldn't blow your mind to hear that some people are very sensitive to potential criticism of something they enjoy.)

It's always good to look forward but I do think what you suggest poses some design obstacles. In terms of eventually having just one device and it being wearable, I think you are right. But I don't think it will be a watch. A watch is a one-handed device that requires an arm position that isn't very conductive to long periods of use. I think it would be a limiting platform to try to do absolutely everything. Besides, once we've got neural interfaces, why bother? ;)