Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I think that would really be a bad move, people are watching videos on their phones, how would you do that on your wrist for a longer period? The more the device covers of your arm the more likely it is to get accidentally damaged. A phone can be used with either hand, a wrist strapped device can't quickly be passed from on to the other wrist. Using the camera to take pictures would be very difficult. As cool as it may look in a film/movie, in real life it just would be awkward.

ALittleDrive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I think that would really be a bad move, people are watching videos on their phones, how would you do that on your wrist for a longer period? The more the device covers of your arm the more likely it is to get accidentally damaged. A phone can be used with either hand, a wrist strapped device can't quickly be passed from on to the other wrist. Using the camera to take pictures would be very difficult. As cool as it may look in a film/movie, in real life it just would be awkward.

Nice. Let's take this point by point.

A. It straps to your arm. You can take it off. That takes care of watching media and taking pictures.

B. Not worried about it being damaged.

----------

This is a pretty hostile forum and I'm sorry that people have responded in such a typically glib and inconsiderate manner, but I guess that's the internet. (FWIW, you do come across as defensive in your later posts, but I can't blame you. The whole tone of the thread soured very quickly. I think maybe people didn't appreciate your use of the would "should" rather than 'could.' I'm sure it wouldn't blow your mind to hear that some people are very sensitive to potential criticism of something they enjoy.)

It's always good to look forward but I do think what you suggest poses some design obstacles. In terms of eventually having just one device and it being wearable, I think you are right. But I don't think it will be a watch. A watch is a one-handed device that requires an arm position that isn't very conductive to long periods of use. I think it would be a limiting platform to try to do absolutely everything. Besides, once we've got neural interfaces, why bother? ;)

Right on! Thanks.

No, I get it for sure. Not trying to crap on people's Apple watch parade. As I stated repeatedly, a person more excited about this product could not exist.

Fantasizing about what could be is fun to me. To categorically deny an idea without giving much thought doesn't really agree with me :).

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Nice. Let's take this point by point.

A. It straps to your arm. You can take it off. That takes care of watching media and taking pictures.

B. Not worried about it being damaged.

----------

Watching video on a curved screen like that would look distorted, and it getting damaged is a concern for most people and for the company selling Apple Care+.
Your wishes for an Apple Watch seem impractical and odd to me at the moment. I am sure that you will see some Android watch trying to do all that well before Christmas, but I wouldn't bank on Apple for this one.

JonnyLegal

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
I was trying to photoshop, but I suck at photoshopping. So, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I love my Apple Watch, but the design could be soooo much better, and probably will be.

I think the design should be wider and flatter, covering more of your arm and replacing the iPhone. A real iPhone on your arm, adhering to the contours of your arm and providing as much content space as your iPhone 6.

:apple::apple::cool::cool:

I see a couple major hurdles with this:

Socially: The form itself would not appeal to a broad enough target for Apple to consider. It would just be too socially awkward right now. Think about Google Glass. Appealing to a few nerds? Absolutely. Appealing to the general population? Nope. The fact of the matter is that gaudy wearable technology is just not broadly appealing right now. That's why Apple has leaned in so heavily with the fashion & personalization angle, because that's the only way the watch will gain wider adoption.

Functionally: To replace a phone, you would need to be able to input larger amounts of text. Text input would require you to always use both hands (holding up your wrist and finger tapping with your other). This is much less convenient than using a phone one-handed to thumb type, and it's certainly slower than having both hands free to type.

So that leaves mind-control or dictation as feasible input options. Mind-control is not here yet, and there are just too many situations (I would argue, the vast majority of situations) where you aren't going to want to speak commands into your wrist in public. Also, dictation is not as advanced as it needs to be to completely replace manual text entry.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
I was happy when they combined a watch and a phone for my pocket, now you want to go backwards? lol ;)

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
If they combine the iPhone with the Apple Watch and get rid of them as individual items I will say bye bye. Will never happen, hybrids are mostly useless

Laptops don't pretend to be desktops, iPads don't pretend to be laptops, iPhones don't pretend to be iPads, the Apple Watch doesn't pretend to be an iPhone. Each item is successful in its own way

Pick what you want, you don't have to have them all

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Wow OP, people in this forum are so stuck to their watches that they cannot foresee any possible improvement. (i'm not saying I agree with your points) But I do agree that within 24 hours I found a lot of things that can be improved on for future generations (beyond the obvious battery life and waterproofing..)

With that said I am honestly afraid to post my thoughts, because the vast majority of people here lack the ability to see potential. It is a truly great product I love my :apple: Watch. But people here will not take anything said here unless it is hand-fed to them by Apple, and even then some of them bash the new product for months before realizing it wasn't all that bad.

As a wise man once said;

"Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use.

Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again." - Steve Jobs

Last edited:

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not a fan of this idea because a screen of that size is best used with two hands, and if it's strapped to your arm then it must only be used one-handed.

I would hate trying to text and write emails one-handed all the time, much less do anything else like play games. I feel the weight would also be less than desirable.

A larger screen would be nice, but for me, it's not worth it for the compromises involved.

ALittleDrive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I'm thinking like a slap bracelet. Where it conforms to your arm when you slap it on, then is stiff when you take it off to use with two hands. That would be amazing. Maybe in 10 years. I certainly don't have any pipe dreams for any of this anytime soon, of course. This is purely hypothetical for the future.

I'll check this thread in 10 years and see where we're at :apple:

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
That's like saying in 1985, if they put out a cell phone, it would be a horrible flop because they look ridiculous.

True. I am in agreement with you.

Or, try to visualize a flat pad on your arm that does everything. Clear, flat, contoured to your arm. Brings up images either on it's surface or hologram.

Things move so slowly because people are so stuck in the way they do things and how they perceive the world.

Talking to your watch seems insane right now. But, I've been doing it non-stop for the last 24 hours.

Hold your wrist up for 5 minutes straight, navigate through your Watch and tap on things. That position gets uncomfortable after about a minute, and unbearable after a few. It's kind of like why Apple hasn't done a touchscreen iMac, because the hand / arm position becomes unbearable after a short time.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I was trying to photoshop, but I suck at photoshopping. So, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I love my Apple Watch, but the design could be soooo much better, and probably will be.

I think the design should be wider and flatter, covering more of your arm and replacing the iPhone. A real iPhone on your arm, adhering to the contours of your arm and providing as much content space as your iPhone 6.

:apple::apple::cool::cool:

I'd like to see my iPhone projected on my arm, with touch feedback. So basically I can have full iPhone functionality from the comfort of my own arm.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
It may be possible for the Watch to someday do all that the iPhone does, and some may forego the iPhone because of that, but the Watch is not on a path to replace the iPhone at Apple.

Most people want a big screen. The screen has gotten bigger over time, not smaller. I don't see a 2 inch screen causing the iPhone to cease production.

If you gave the Watch every single function the iPhone has.. Well, you can't because one of it's functions is to display lots of content on a large screen. Most will never give that up.

However, imagine a large screen unrolling from the underside of the band several inches into your palm, and when you are done, it rolls back up.

Maybe in 10 years.

ALittleDrive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Hold your wrist up for 5 minutes straight, navigate through your Watch and tap on things. That position gets uncomfortable after about a minute, and unbearable after a few. It's kind of like why Apple hasn't done a touchscreen iMac, because the hand / arm position becomes unbearable after a short time.

Totally, I've already experienced this. That's why having the ability to take it off and use with both hands would be key. Slap on, Slap off :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.