This is what the dock should look like

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Gogurt48, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Instead of the heavy frosted glass look, I think the dock would look so much better with just a subtle tint, like the video section of the camera app:

[​IMG]

2. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

Agreed. I think you walk a fine line when you do the "frosted" look. The notification center needs to be a darker translucency to make sure the content is front and center, but in places like the camera, I think the high level of translucency just makes sure that your content (in this case the picture) is front and center.

The Keynote was all about "content first" and making sure that everything unnecessary gets out of the way of your phone doing what its meant to do, so I think this could be something we see as we move forward in the beta process.

Given the changes in Beta 3, Apple is listening, and the changes are being made to make sure that its perfect. If they can change the font to a thicker bold, then they can easily change the translucency of the dock!

3. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Yes, that would be perfect, the dock looks really bad depending on the wallpaper. With all the workers at Apple you would think someone would have thought of that, that was my first thought, why not nothing, or just a simple line.

I would even want that for my folders, just a dark tint, but still see my wallpaper, maybe even darker than the camera overlay, but not a blur or a frost unless it's a single color frost...because using the colors of the wallpaper is too inconsistent.

4. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Completely agree. Less frosted look on the dock would look amazing!

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

What happens when you've got a wallpaper with a lot of lines or lettering? You wouldn't be able to see the app names, even with heavy shadowing.

6. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

I think they started out with the non-heavy frosted look but realized they can't control user backgrounds. Which would make text display a problem. with that example what if you background was all white or a mixture of white and black? how would you handle text coloring in that situation. would half the dock text be in white and the other half be in black?

7. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

You'd have the same problem on the rest of the home screen, off the dock, wouldn't you? The only way to guarantee the text can be read against any background would be to give it a one or two pixel drop-shadow, like in iOS 6.

[​IMG]

I wish they would do that because I think it looks nice anyway. And unless they do, readability of the text is going to be problematic against certain wallpapers regardless of how opaque the dock is.

8. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I agree with the OP.

It's kind of sad when the users on Mac Rumors have better ideas than Apple's famous design team.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I thought it was reported drop shadow on app name text is back in Beta3?

10. Pared macrumors 65816

Oh please! Where were all these better ideas before iOS 7 was released!

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

12. Tinyluph macrumors regular

I have less of an issue with the frosted glass and more of it being basically a background overlay for the icons. What I don't like is that it comes up over the icons which makes the phone space feel... smaller.

The 3D dock in iOS 6 is ironically more minimalistic as it covers less space on the screen.

13. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

It is, sort of. It looks more like a drop smudge than anything else. I prefer how they did it in iOS 6.

[​IMG]

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I kind of agree with the OP providing it is easy enough to see the text on any background.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

oh ew, that's kind of weird and hideous.

16. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I saw quite a few concept videos before iOS 7 was release which looked pretty good.

17. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I think it should look just like this.

Attached Files:

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, wow. Reminds me of Linux of all things!

19. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

** SIGH **

What is it? Ok, great, you like Android. You have an Android phone that you use and love the look and functionality of. Wonderful. But you're insecure in your life. Mommy scolded you too much. Daddy wasn't proud. You have no idea who you are. So you compensate for it all on a friggin tech blog, playing out the 'Android vs iOS' war to show your superiority, following daddy's lead because he was the hero of the epic 'Windows vs Mac' wars of the '90s, championing XP and its great market share and user customability, vs Apple's 'oppressive' regime of imposed interface control. You really think you can prop up your inadequacies by trying to slam a mobile OS? Just use your android devices and be happy for your friends who use their iOS devices. :rolleyes:

20. falconeight Guest

falconeight

This is funny

21. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Read some of his other posts. I'm pretty sure he was joking.

22. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

come on designers let's get a mockup!!!!

23. ominx macrumors 6502

Not a designer but here's a quick and dirty mockup:
    iOS7_Tinted_Dock.jpg

24. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Actually agree.