This is what ticks me off about where I live.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Jun 27, 2014.

1. 128keaton, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014

128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I meander onto my local craigslist to see if any sane people are selling PPC Macs.
    I search "apple laptops" since people rarely use "iBook" or "PowerBook" where I live. Edumacatshun.
    First, a 12" iBook G4:
    [​IMG]
    Now, further down on the list.
    [​IMG]
    A late 2008 Macbook (upgradeable to Yosemite, throw in an SSD, RAM, nice laptop) thats cheaper.
    Ticks me off. Also, someone wanted $80 for a non-functioning Emac.

2. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

I recently saw a similar situation. Guy is selling an iBook G4 for $600 or trade for a car. Ad went on to say price was firm. Sorry but a buyer would have to have a very specific reason to pay $600 for an iBook G4. Recently a local used computer dealer was selling iBook G4's for $50 each. Nice quality, well configured units.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

When I was looking at trucks I saw a guy willing to trade 3 powerbooks for a truck. To be honest I don't know of anybody that would trade for $800 worth of powerbooks. I don't even think I would trade my truck for 4 rMBPs. Just more of a pain to deal with then getting straight up cash.

Shoot, I look on CL and damn! $200 for a "Mac Pro" which is really a G5, $180 for a 1.5GHz/512MB/80GB PowerBook, $60 for 2x 400MHz graphites, $150 eMac 1GHz. $650 for a one year old MacBook... psh those were discontinued 3 years ago in 2011. People and their prices!

Attached Files:

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Two words describe this: people suck...

5. 128keaton, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

I saw that too. Memphis? I'd love to pick up a cheap PowerBook, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, :(. Now, I'd be more than happy to pick up a MacPro1,1 (More expandability/upgradability, still has software challenges). At this point, I could get an A1001 with free shipping for $35. Not bad! Emacs too! Also, don't even get me started on these people:
    [​IMG]
    "ANY PC I MEAN ANY MACKINTOSH" Wait till someone brings in a Pentium D or an AMD machine. Don't go breakin their heart.

6. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I was on Kijiji a long time ago, and I saw this guy selling a Titanium PowerBook G4 with half a gig of RAM and likely a processor slower than 1.0GHz...For $600. There was only one photo, and that was of its top while closed, but I could tell that it was a Titanium. The ad was up for at least half a year, but now that I check back, it's gone. I hope the seller simply took it down. If anyone really did spend $600 on it thinking it would be a decently modern Mac, they're going to be disappointed.

As I was looking on Kijiji, I noticed someone selling a 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4 for $145, which is decent considering it has an 80GB hard drive, a 1.67GHz G4 processor and 2GB of RAM. However, the seller listed the machine as running Mac OS X 10.6, so I felt like I had to report it to Kijiji on the grounds of misleading advertising, so I did.

----------

I think it's even more iffy when someone types the ad in all caps too. Not only does it make them look amateurish and sketchy, it also looks bad too.

7. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

I need to look on Kijiji more. And freecycle. Oh, Ive heard good things about Value Village. Also, this.

8. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Yes, I've heard of that Shop Goodwill place. Sounds a little off to me, but that's just me. According to Web of Trust it's a good site. But they don't use PayPal.

I was at Freecycle a long time ago. They didn't have a lot in my area. And as for Value Village, there are four locations in my city, and I only ever visit one. They rarely have anything interesting. I'm sure that because the other three in my city are older and larger, they'd have more stuff. But they're far.

Kijiji so far is quite reliable. That's where I picked up my Power Mac G4, my iMac G3 and my Core 2 Duo iMac. They have a lot of stuff, but as for the PowerPCs, it seems that the sellers know that people want them, so they go for high prices. I did manage to get my Power Mac G4 for $60, my iMac G3 for $30 and my Core 2 Duo iMac for $200, less than what they normally would've gone for, however. I always say "buy computers from people who clearly aren't computer people". You can usually get them for low prices.

9. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Shop goodwill is owned by goodwill Industries, sooo yeah. If you buy something cheap, its awesome. I found an iSight! IBM 600 Notebook. Man, it must rock living in California (a lot of the apple stuff is in San Jose). I want to eventually move there.

10. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

People think that just because they have a big glowing Apple logo on the back or a big shiny logo on the side they're instantly worth huge sums of money and people will be willing to go far lengths to get them.

In my honest opinion, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a G4 system. That's my opinion though, someone else's could vary. I got my Power Mac G4 for $60, and it's an MDD model.

11. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

The most I've payed for a vintage Mac is $40. Rock'n. Most of my stuff is free! I'd really like to bid-snipe the iSight since I actually need a Webcam, and this one is JORJUS. But yeah, people suck when they don't research the value. Whenever I was 10, I used google to look up how much my train sets were, divided the prices by 2, and sold them on eBay. Woo!

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I ordered a PowerBook off there. It was parts & repair and worked fine. Came in good shape with a fresh install of Panther but the hard drive died 2 weeks after. Then again, when you look at the box, UPS beat it around so I am not surprised. It was well packed and was $23.50 and ~ $42 with shipping. All in all, I would buy from shopgoodwill again.

13. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I was actually able to snipe my PowerBook G4. I think it was by luck that I won it as there were about 5 other snipers too. I wish I hadn't won it though, the seller BS'd about it.

----------

$23.50+$42.00 was exactly what I paid for my PowerBook. When I received it, it was really well-packed, with something like 5 or 6 layers of bubble wrap, and it was packed in quite a bit of Styrofoam and packing peanuts. It was in good condition aside from expected wear.

I'm sure that if I was to buy something from that Goodwill site my parents wouldn't do it. There's no convincing them to buy anything anywhere else other than eBay or a large company's website. I'd have to do it myself, but I don't have a credit card. And I won't use a credit card.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sorry if I was unclear. I paid $23.50 for the PowerBook and with shipping included the total was ~$42.00. It was like $19.00 shipping.

15. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Oh that's alright, it's just a simple mistake. I paid $42.00 to ship mine. The $42.00 included import charges as well. It sucks because more than often shipping charges to Canada from the States is often quite a bit. Sometimes it's expensive even shipping from elsewhere in Canada. We really only get free shipping when the item is coming from somewhere in the same province I live in.

This is usually for eBay, though, where shipping costs a lot. If I was to order something from a large company like Apple or HP or something like that the shipped item will likely come from somewhere in the US but shipping will either be decently inexpensive or nonexistent all together.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

To me the $19.xx was expensive for a PowerBook I didn't really want. I threw a bid in for the heck of it fully expecting to get out bit, but sure enough they backed out and I got stuck with it. It is a great machine, but I didn't really need it since I had a 1.67 GHz in my collection already. Now I want to get an iBook G4!

17. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Actually prior to my winning of this PowerBook G4 I had accidentally bid on an iBook G4. Even after winning this PowerBook G4 I was still the high bidder. Luckily for me, just a few hours before the auction was up someone bid higher. I didn't want to end up paying for two laptops and shipping for both, when I only wanted one.

My friend has an iBook G4, a 12" from 2005. It's in rough shape, and I'm surprised it even works. It's missing a few keys and the screen is messed up, but it works. My friend is the one who supplied the power adapter for this PowerBook G4.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well... Most iBooks would be in rough shape after falling off a balcony.

19. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

It still blows my mind how some people will sell a poor condition/non working computer (especially if it's Apple) for exorbitant prices. This PowerBook I'm using for iTunes and MacRumors right now is probably only worth $20 or $30.

20. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I didn't read every post so it might be mentioned already, but some people just put high prices because they don't understand anything about the machines. PowerBooks for example still look like expensive computers so people may put high prices just based on that. I recently saw ad where the seller is selling iBook G3 saying he doesn't know anything about the machine so that's why he is selling it cheap, which was 120 USD including shipping.

PowerPC vs. Intel difference is also pretty hard to explain and you very often see questions like "can I install *Intel-only OS* on this Mac?" on YouTube vids dealing PowerPC Macs so people just don't know.

Some will of course try to benefit this, general perception is that Macs are expensive so asking prices will be high, especially if a Mac is being sold at forum which is not filled with people who know about these machines. No one is there "protecting" regular people...

21. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

If you even tried looking up the laptop's name, you'd see some sort of suggestion "this computer is ancient". Well, thank the lord shopgoodwill.com exists. Also, AlteredNose (hehe) look at this: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Apple-iBook-G4-12-Laptop-12GHz256MB30GB-16985692.html. Not bad, nice clock speed.

22. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I'm going to send them an email asking if they know how to unstick the caps lock key.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well, don't think that just because it isn't as popular as eBay that things can't be overpriced! There was an auction for a PowerBook G4 that was in decent condition with original box that sold for $205! There still is some deals, but there is also plenty of snipers on there. Now it's Alterednose? Erik originally made it Alternose.

24. comda, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014

comda macrumors 6502a

comda

People believe that these power PC macs are gold because they look cool, and often fool someone honest who wants a modern day mac but can't afford a new model. Im still in high school and met a guy carrying around an ibook G4. The plain white 13' inch model. Not sure of the exact specs on the model. Just know it had a gig of Ram. It was sad that the guy was told this machine would excel in word and the internet. little did he know he purchased an old mac. poor guy he spend 150 on it. He still uses it today. I recently found a emac. It was a 1.42ghz, 80gb hard drive combo drive wifi 256mb ram. It wouldn't book osx and the seller wanted $40. I tried to get him to go to $30 at least but he said that he had an installer on his flash drive and if he could get it going he was going to ask $100. no keyboard or mouse just the computer and power cable... I bought it for the $40…. Brought it home and discovered that yep it was a corrupted os, the guy said it wasn't a HDD failure for sure. He'd hear it clicking.. and apparently he knows his stuff cause he used to own a computer store.. PFFT. used to . anyways. i replaced the combo drive and got leopard on it.added a gig of ram. what you think good buy?

25. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

I definitely wouldn't go over $50 for a G4 machine. Not worth it. Your purchase was fine, especially since you can sell it for a bit more.