This Is Why Im Waiting For Another Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bradleykavin, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Igantius macrumors 65816

Surprised Engadget hasn't amended its story - according to the press release from Dell, prices begin from $17k.

2. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

The PS6000 range start at $17K. which is exactly what engadget has reported.

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Ah, just read it too quickly and didn't spot the 'respectively' so I thought they had a large ballpark figure for the entry model in that series - sorry!

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why wait for a MacPro if you can just buy the Dell? :confused:
    Oh that's right, because as it stands you can't run OSX on that Dell ... at least not without some level of tweaking. I agree the 2009 MacPros aren't anything I am excited about and it makes me love my 2008 MacPro even more given the real world performance of the newest machines (and price) ... but still ... if a Dell is making you wait for the next MacPro then ok, but don't be shocked when the next MacPro isn't the Dell you're longing for.

6. maviso5 macrumors regular

7. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I love the new Mac Pros, but not the pricing. I find the comparative prices interesting, Dell's 3500 model is a lot cheaper than :apple:'s.

I do get tired of the OS X arguement for adding so much value to a machine. The license for OS X is $129, not $1000+.

Of course OS X is the reason I will never buy anything else but a Mac. This is to be my first Mac Pro purchase and I'm really sweating over which one to get!

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well last time the Precisions weren't worth going for over a Mac Pro for most people, but getting OSX to work on a single system might not be too hard for someone with some passion.

[​IMG]

They might not look as pretty inside, but they sure have the specifications a lot were hoping for.

9. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

I know. Even with 4 slots the 4 core should be able to support 16GB.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are there any links for more detailed specs.

Because the T7500 can handle up to 192GB DDR3 1333 I just want to know how many memory slots it has. Is it max 4GB per slot with 48slots, 8x24, 16x12 or 32x6? Anyways with the T7500 starting at $1,800 Apple has some price restructuring to do. Though if it is 32x6 then it is not such a big deal since that is just theoretical.

Since the previous MP's when released were cheaper than do it yourself server parts of the same type from Newegg. They were also cheaper than competing companies again when released.

As for the T3500 even if you did not know how to make a hackintosh it would be cheaper to buy the Dell and pay some hackintosh pro several hundred to get OS X running correctly. Maybe Psystar will start buying them, changing the case and installing OS X until Apple finally pummles them in court.

11. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

wow.

the other thing I just saw is that HP released desktops based on the core i7 architecture that seems similar to the quad core Mac Pro... and it starts at $1k and has options for Blu-ray, Radeon 4850 and up to 12GB RAM.

From MacNN:
    "A base model at $950 comes with a 2.66GHz Core i7, 3GB of RAM, and 500GB of disk space while further options add Blu-ray drives, 12GB of memory, Blu-ray burning and 1GB Radeon HD 4850 graphics."

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/03/25/hp.pavilion.elite.m9600t/

I spec'd out one similar to the base Mac Pro (2.66Ghz) w/ a Radeon 4850 upgrade for $1250 (after a $250 instant rebate), which is about 1/2 the price of the base model Mac Pro. You can't really get by running windows vista vs. mac os x, and i'm sure the internals of the HP aren't as well designed as the Mac Pro, but wow, that's a hefty premium for the base model.

12. Nik macrumors 6502

It is NOT a workstation!
    Compare workstations with workstations!

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The T7500 probably has one 2.26Ghz or 2.4GHz processor at that price. Expect Dell's pricing to be similar to the Mac Pro on DP systems. The memory is 12 slots with 16GB DIMMs. Though Dell weren't clear if they will be selling 16GB DIMMs from the outset.

14. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

Sorry, after a little more digging, I realized that these are different processors (core i7 vs. xeon). I assumed since they were both based on the Nehalem that they were similar.

That being said, what the main difference between the xeon & the core i7 - I know what is server class and one is not, but the price seems to be the same between the two processors in 1K lots.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

Also, is there any reason why the upgrades would be cheaper for the core i7 over the xeon?
    - graphics card - 1GB Radeon 4850 for $130 upgrade vs. 512MB Radeon 4870 for $200
    - Blu-ray drive (read only or writable) - $100 for Read, $200 for RW vs. not availble
    - RAM capacity - 8GB (in 4 slots, which is odd for triple channel) vs. 12GB (seem like they have 6 slots, which actually makes sense for triple channel)

Does the xeon architecture make the internal more expensive? Not bashing, just curious/wondering.

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

Is Dell even offering 8 core 55xx machines? I don't see it Precision BTO.

16. mBox macrumors 68020

As a motion designer/3D artist, Ive switched back and forth from Dells to Boxx as far as Powerhouse PC's go. However as a true creative box, Im strictly on Macs specifically MacPros.
    I have the budget for this new Dell and have put in on this upcoming fiscal but for that price I can get 3 decent MacPros thatll do my work and have a smooth running Maya Farm for over-night/week-end renders ;)
    and yes it would be in BootCamp.
    Some Maya functions are still a little to goofy on the Mac side.
    Oh and as far as Motion Design, most of my After Effect renders dont require any farm type set-ups. I just do em over lunch ;)

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They aren't out until sunday/monday. Some companies are making press statements this week though. Expect more information to come out over the next few days and then products to be available at the beginning of next week.

18. dagomike macrumors 65816

Oh, I see now. So basically all this speculation is premature since we don't even know what workstations cost with what chips...

19. mBox macrumors 68020

might be a stupid question but other than running some kind of 64bit OS and Maya 64bit, what other apps going to take advantage of anything over 2GB RAM?
    Our Macs all have 16GB which is a waste IMHO but we tend to load these things up during budgets but my PCs are still at 4GB and under.
    I stopped using XP 64 after a year.

20. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

21. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Thats exactly why I love my Mac Pro :p

22. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Prices are likely to be similar to Apple on the DP systems and like the Core i7 XPS and Studio units Dell sell for the UP systems.

23. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Compressor (Part of Final Cut Studio 2 suite)
    Qmaster
    After Effects
    RedRushes (RED batch rendering app)
    Shake

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Even when I had the 2.8GHz 8 core last year, I never ran any of those pro apps actually any pro apps for that matter, just pure heavy multitasking with 6-8 spaces, downloading huge amounts of data and uploading as well and playing with hd content, running vmware fusion easy gobbled up 14GB out of the 16GB of RAM that I had in my Mac Pro.

OSX can use as many RAM as it can get and make good use of it.

Basically I think more than 4GB of RAM on Windows vista/xp/whatever is a waste of RAM.