Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
If you get one text message it looks like the picture on the left. If you get multiple texts it looks like the picture the right.

If only it was like the picture on the right ALL THE TIME. That would be the best way to view your messages (even if there's only one)

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
i really LOVE the new dialog boxes, sorry to disagree with OP.

it looks way more sleek, the blue reminds me of horrible notifications, i hate it.

my only gripe is i think the icons could be a bit bigger on the lock screen, and the slide could be bigger. if it's only one text or email, it looks kinda meh, but i can see the smaller icon being ok if you have several notifications at once on the lock screen.

left justified FTW. centered is awful.

PrintNameHere

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
my only gripe is that is could be a bit bigger but I'll get used to it!:D

That's what she said...sorry, had to do it!

Seriously though, I like the new look with the icons to better deferentiat the notifications, hated it when I'd get one thinking it was a text to find out it was just facebook

On another note, my typing is freaking sluggish as hell now on my iP4 with ios5, wtf??

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
If you get one text message it looks like the picture on the left. If you get multiple texts it looks like the picture the right.

Actually, what he is referring to is that they changed the design of the lock screen notification list (right picture) from Beta 1 to Beta 2. We're not talking about the single notification bubble vs the list, we're talking about the appearance of the list itself. In the first beta, each list item had a bigger area and didn't have the bevels on them that they do now. It's a subtle difference, but I agree that it did look cleaner back then.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
The other not so cool thing about that bubble is that it doesn't really have an edge to it.

You gotta be more subtle now-a-days with the UI art.

you say it has to be more subtle and yet not having an edge isn't. wouldnt something being "edgy" and sharp be less subtle?

and seriously. Y ou think this is worse than a blue background? the old message system was not only dated in the obtrusiveness, but it was extremely dated in the way it looked. the black background is much more modern.

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
you say it has to be more subtle and yet not having an edge isn't. wouldnt something being "edgy" and sharp be less subtle?

and seriously. Y ou think this is worse than a blue background? the old message system was not only dated in the obtrusiveness, but it was extremely dated in the way it looked. the black background is much more modern.

I disagree. Sorry. The original dialog had a classy look to it.

Now it's a black blob.

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Downgrade if it's that big of a deal.

I don't want to downgrade. I like the rest of iOS 5. It's very fast, fluid and pretty much rock solid.

I just think they should get rid of all dialog bubbles.

I COULD choose to not show anything on the lockscreen, but I like being able to check for unread messages without having to unlock my phone.

I'm not going to downgrade over something like this. Hopefully a jailbreak setting can put it back to the old style or just skip the bubble and go straight to list view.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
remember how they looked in beta 1 of iOS 5?
they changed it to how it is now in beta 2...
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/26/ios-5-beta-2-3g-ota-native-scrolling-in-safari/
I definitely like the one on the right (beta 1) better.

They are both there. The difference is the left one shows up when a new notification comes in, and you can either slide the app icon or slide the unlock bar to view that notification.

If you ignore the notification and the screen goes off it will go into the list view, where sliding to unlock will just unlock the phone (But you can still swipe on a notification to view it.)

I don't think it looks terrible, but I feel they could have chosen something better as the two don't really go together design wise (List view is compact with clean, straight edges, versus the enlarged, rounded corners of the "new notification" bubble.)

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I kind of agree with the OP.

The new notification centre is far superiour to the old intrusive pop up system but I preferred the colour scheme of the old system.

Personal preference tho, who knows maybe one day apple will let us chose the phone color scheme!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.