This Next Web review of the Apple watch nails it

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Armen, May 11, 2015.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

2. DJTJ macrumors regular

I found my battery life on my iPhone to be more affected if I didn't "kill" the apple watch app.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No battery issues here but I use the AW pretty passively. Agree about the sport band. Horribly designed. Whoever did it should be taken out and flogged. What's wrong with a traditional buckle? Easy to one hand on in seconds.

As far as glancing at a smart watch during a conversation I fail to see the difference between that and looking at your phone when a text pops up in the same situation. Rude is rude.

4. randymac09 macrumors regular

I've seen a handful of people mention that the bands, specifically the sports bands, are hard to put on/take off. I've dealt with a few of the bands and have had no problem at all. The sports band is unique how it tucks under and I think that was a genius idea.

The only thing I can think is that if people have never worn a watch, or very rarely do, then the action of putting a watch on could be a little tougher or not as natural. Myself, I have worn various types of watches for years and putting the Apple Watch on is just as easy as any other watch.

5. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

The battery on my AW is lasting longer and longer. I almost feel bad for charging it at night when it's 50%.

6. tylerdw89 macrumors 6502

Agree 100% with this review. Very honest and real.

I'm scratching my head why Apple isn't allowing third parties to make watch faces??

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I am really surprised how many people have issues putting in the sport band. It takes me less than 5 seconds while I'm still half asleep walking to the coffee maker.

8. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Disagree there. Had the classic buckle from day 1. Just got the BSB I ordered. It is now my daily driver. The CB is for dressier events.
    +1 on this.

9. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I had trouble with the sport band the first couple days and now it's second nature. I'm amused that the review cites checking your smartphone during a conversation as more polite than your watch. Maybe I'm out of touch, but checking a Facebook message while you're in a conversation with someone seems just as rude to me, if not more so.

10. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I plan on wearing it at night if I can have vibrating alarm. I've used the UP band for years so my wife doesn't wake with my early morning workout times. I can charge a bit as I eat my pre-workout and then charge again as I shower and get ready.

I think I read that you can have a silent alarm. May use sleep tracking later if available but that is way less important.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

Its weird, maybe because I haven't worn a watch in nearly 20 years but I had no problem with the sport. I thought it was very intuitive and easy to put on. You want fiddly, try the Fitbit flex...

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Right. The traditional watch strap with buckle is only for dressier events like, what, The Boston Marathon, whereas Apple's clumsy Sport Band design is for local town 5K fundraisers? :rolleyes:

(Maybe you were confused about what I was saying and thought I meant Apple's leather "Classic Buckle," even though I stated "traditional band" but I meant a strap with a buckle design, not a leather band. I wouldn't want to exercise in a leather band.)

Garmin 620 running watch with a classic buckle design (just like all of their sport watches. Easy to put on and remove with one hand, unlike Apple's convoluted "sport band." :

[​IMG]

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I actually really like the sport band and the design...pretty creative. After the first time, anyone with coordination can put it on.

15. techspin macrumors 6502a

I think looking at your watch during a conversation shows you're checking the time as opposed to your phone for texts/notifications. If you actually interact with your watch when something pops up then it's no different from a phone.

16. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Check out Walt Mossberg's review on re:code this morning after using the SS Apple Watch for a month. His review nails it and is the most fair.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Yeah but with a watch you feel less inclined to look at your phone for when a text is coming through because you get that jolt....which is just enough to make you relax when it comes to your messages. You know you aren't missing anything.

18. goshawk823 macrumors newbie

thanks for mentioning that article. I found it very informative.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Here is the review.

It's very well thought out. I appreciated it and can relate. I did notice that I don't feel as connected to my phone. I think that is a good thing.

20. Corsig macrumors member

Pretty much spot on

The band was tricky the first day now its second nature even though I wishh it was a little more secure.

The watch battery life is wayyyyy better than I hoped for. I find it now at 40% at 11pm with decent usage. My phone battery (6+) seems to be draining faster now.

Apps right now are mostly for the fitness, baseball scores and weather exclusively

The watch faces are ok for now. I know its only a matter of time before more come out so I am fine for now.

21. jkun macrumors member

I thought the sports band was difficult to put on and made me feel clumsy until I saw a review video where the reviewer put the band on my slipping it through (tucking it) first, and then fastening. I had been trying to fasten then tuck in, which is much harder.

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

He mentions the slowness of 3rd party apps. From what I have heard that is due to the fact that 3rd party apps are getting all their info from the watch in a handoff continuity exchange situation whereas native Apple apps on the watch get to use the processor directly. 3rd party apps can't use the processor - yet.

23. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Yeah. I take my watch off the charger at 6am and by 11pm It's still at 55%. I feel bad for charging it over night with so much juice left in it. Maybe I'll ride it for 2 days and see what happens.

----------

I'm sure there are some optimizations that Apple needs to do. Even the native weather takes its sweet time loading at times.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

A "jolt" is emitted when a text comes in on either the AW and iPhone. Why would one be less curious about reading incoming text on an AW vs a Phone?

So, as to my original point -- why is looking at a watch when you get a message more socially rude than looking at a phone when a message comes in? The author of the article implied looking a watch was less socially acceptable b/c looking at a watch during a conversation is rude. But the truth is in a formal situation not paying attention to the person speaking to you for ANY reason is rude.