This place is scary

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Everlast, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Everlast macrumors newbie

Everlast

Well, as a newcomer to the Mac most famous community. After reading the forum here for a few months, I discovered that if someone says something negative about Microsoft in here, they will gets burn by a heap of active members, clearly it's not allow to express how bad you feel about the MS products and its company.

I thought it's a Mac community, people should able to be freely discuss what they feel, but whenever you said something against MS, loads of attack will come toward you.

Perhaps, I missed the sign somewhere here in forum, stating "Be warned, Any negative comment on Microsoft will be shot!"

Okay, feel free to throw the rocks inside your pocket, aim that defenceless villager who that think Mac is better than Windows PC.

Anyone would be kind enough to direct me to a forum that can freely express the feeling Mac against Windows? A place that have less insult and attacks, Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Please, if you see any personal attacks or insults report them to the moderators using the report post button ([​IMG]) to the left of every post.

Attacks and insults are against forum rules and are not tolerated.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A little sensitive are we?

People are just expressing their opinion too
    But I have to say, I haven't seen too much defending of M$ going on here
    Check out the threads on Office 2008

This board is eclectic... and not just homers for Apple

Feel free to voice your opinion, but be prepared to defend it with reason and data, because you will get challenged on it. Just saying "yay Apple/Mac" won't cut it here... too much diversity

Edit: Good advice too EricNau

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

5. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Humm... you have some serious problems, aren't you?

Most people (thank God) try to be objective, as they can be.

MS has so much better pointing hardware (aka mices, keyboards) than Apple, currently. And since these stuff have USBs (the same goes for every other company, like Logitech etc.) and works with every Mac, it is good to know, that there is an alternative.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The OP's talking about not being able to attack MS without someone ruining his fun. Life's tough, but I don't get why this place is "scary". It's the internet, part of the fun is the debate.

7. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Wait a second...

I thought these days we had to be careful of people attacking Apple on this board!? No? It's certainly the trend I'm seeing.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I can't say I've noticed much of this yelling at people for bashing MS. I mostly hang in the web design/development forum where IE gets bashed from time to time and I will defend it at times (if the bashing is baseless), but by using facts, not by just bashing back.

Bashing in general is pretty lame unless you're bringing along some facts and a rationale discussion, otherwise it just turns into a junk thread, which unfortunately happens from time-to-time here.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well as there are trolls on any forum, unfortunately MR has its MS trolls too.

10. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

What, you're an MS troll if you defend some thing about MS?

Anyways to the OP: the point of this forum isn't to bash MS for the sake of bashing MS - yes, people do use both products from both sides(boot camp anyone?) and if you're here just to throw rhetoric around, then people will not appreciate it, regardless of how they feel about MS.

Constructive and civilized arguments are fine. Spewing rhetoric however, would just piss people off, and that reaction shouldn't come as a surprise no matter where you go on the itnernet

11. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

I've been flamed a lot more for defending MS than for saying bad things about it.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No. MS does make some decent products, but there are some users here that bash Apple and every chance and spout how superior they think Windows is in every way.

13. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Their keyboards are okay.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Office 2007 for Windows and their server stuff are pretty nice too.

15. Eyedn macrumors regular

Are you feeling ok? Perhaps it's the ribbon.

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The ribbon beats the pants off the old way of hiding features in Advanced buttons of dialogue boxes. It takes some getting used to, but it's a good idea.

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Isn't the initial problem the lack of a ribbon guide to show you where things are? I'm thinking in comparison to a search on a Mac, for a certain feature - you type it in, and it'll show you where it is in the pull down menus.

If there was better help to point out where the features had moved to, it might make more sense perhaps?

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's hard to learn, and MS didn't make the transition easy or smooth, but once you figure it out ...

19. Dan-- macrumors regular

I've been using Office 2007 for a week now, and all I can say is...

... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I am not a fan.)

Dan

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Exactly my view. It works really well.

The only problem is that it doesn't really fit in on XP as well as Safari 4 does for example.

21. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I bought XP and Office 2003 just so I didn't have to use Office 2007 lol, I can't stand it, making decent graphs for my dissertation was impossible in 2007, they ended up looking more like cartoons than anything

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Is a tough one - how to manage more complex or less often used settings you want to make available to users, without overwheleming people.
    iPhone is a great example - how to manage the opposite needs of different users - (customisation and powerusage vs simplicity and ease)

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm confused by your statement.

You can create the same type of charts that you did with PowerPoint 2003.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, you think this now. Wait till you have seen arn and DoctorQ due their daily minuet at 4:42 PM.

[​IMG]

25. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Chart as in Graph, in Excel 2007 they made them too fancy