This site is great (just some minor quibbles)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by applecultvictim, May 30, 2009.

1. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

It used to be beautiful, I used to wake up everyday :) to check out my :apple: news?

But lately it's all going down the drain. What gives Arn?

Apple insider is posting articles on Steve's health and his visiting the campus http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/28/steve_jobs_spotted_on_apple_campus_report.html , him sounding energetic according to woz http://www.appleinsider.com/article...energetic_a_month_before_return_to_apple.html lenghty extended previews on snow leopard, http://www.appleinsider.com/article...at_snow_leopards_more_subtle_refinements.html , definite verification of direct to iphone downloads for movies, http://www.appleinsider.com/article...n_wireless_iphone_movie_and_tv_downloads.html, apple's remodeling their stores and opening new ones, throwing in a lot of money for the best user experience, http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._stores_with_larger_genius_bars_displays.html .

And we here have been getting "info" about the pre, the zune marketplac hd, more on the zune hd with sweaty photos of that fat slob balmer (realy repulsive staff they should be posted with some kinda warning really...:( ) , or plugs for the sister site touch arcade (and when I pointed that out my posts were removed)... Put the pre on page two and the marketplac with it, and start giving us some apple news.

In the meantime I ll be off to appleinsider, it's just that I like this site macrumors a lot, and I spent a lot of time here, and I don't want it taking a turn imho for the worse. And don't give the excuse of not finding any news, how come the others got that forrester research extended survey on customer satisfaction in apple being twice as dell and you guys here got zip on the issue? Just take a screenshot of the page now and the page a year ago, when you read the front page now, it's 3 articles about the palm pre, 2 about the zune and few apple articles two...great....I know people from palm or ms might be dropping the occasional gift to any site such as this that is so popular, and I respect that, I mean you gotta stay afloat, but let's keep some pretenses up at least...:):apple:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No one site has a corner on the news and rumors
    You are entitled to your opinion and to spend your time where you choose

If Apple Insider meets your needs... great... enjoy it
    For many of us, Mac Rumors gives us what we are looking for in more than just front page news

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

I respect your opinion, mac rumors gives me as well what we I am looking for but as someone who likes a good thing and doesn't want to see it taking a turn for the worse I just had to point my worries out in the view that there must be other people being alienated as myself when for example the apple international back to school promos are page 2 and a review on the (not even out) pre is page 1. Everybody makes mistakes, the better amongst us just realize them quicker than the rest.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thank goodness you're here to help out :)!

5. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I am sure you know how foolish one looks when their poor attempt at irony falls flat. :)

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

This isn't "all Apple, all the time." It's news, rumors, and discussions of things that are or may be of interest to the MR community. The Pre and Zune (to use your examples) are of interest to that community, as they are in direct competition with a couple of Apple products. They also have just had significant new intros or upgrades of their own.

The articles you liked to are less news than they are pure gossip--of which we have plenty--and if you delve into the forums, each one of those is being or has been discussed here. They don't qualify for above the fold inclusion, tbh.

7. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate the "not just apple but anything of interest to the mr community" argument you are making. But to say that the articles I mentioned are gossip is dishonest. There has to be some prioritizing, and the articles I linked are NOT by and large pure gossip, the article on the extended changes preview for snow leopard is exemplary and would have made perfect page 1 news, and so are the international mac promos of interest (instead of a page 2 delegation), as well as the forrester research customer satisfaction news with apple topping them, as well as apple's remodeling their stores and opening new ones, throwing in a lot of money for the best user experience, etc. etc. The argument I am making is self evident.

Ok, the pre and the zune are competitors, but so are much better devices (that are actually sold too not the as yet vapourware the pr and the marketplac are...:rolleyes:) by lg, samsung, nokia, etc. etc. yet we don't see these on page 1, why? Even so, like I said above you can't neglect so many articles on apple related issues and offer a preview of an as yet unreleased phone, a story about it's potential itunes syncing, and a third story presenting it ALL at the same time on page 1!!! While at the same time populating page 1 with yet another vapourware in ms hd marketplac and another couple of stories on it!:rolleyes:

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707973

Both items mentioned in post.

Perhaps Arn is not looking to tangle with Apple legal.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=706205

I don't find a thread on that.

I see nothing wrong with not including everything AI posts here. Nothing wrong with visiting both sites. Given that MR has a much larger audience than AI, I guess most don't share your opinion.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

To be perfectly honest, I haven't been to page 1 or page 2 in years. I don't come here for the hot off the press rumor that may evaporate before the pixels are dry. I come here for the discussions and support. I find out all the news I need from the various discussion threads. I get introduced to new software, various solutions to problems and quite a few ideas. I keep up to date on the Mac world and I am happy. I wouldn't even know if page 1 and 2 disappeared.

Now, I may not be representative of the typical MR user, but for me "it just works"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Same here. I'm here for the community, and to help others with questions - while at the same time learning new things myself.

11. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Are you a lawyer?

AppleMatt

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To the OP: At one point in recent history there was a question as to why a rumor wasn't posted. The site's admins briefly stated that they attempt to post rumor that are at least cross checked with other sources; or something to that effect. It didnt make them true, it just made them more relevent Now, it could be a legal issue. Instead of seeking to understand you went on the attack. I recommend that like all news you find multiple sources. That I'd not just for Apple news. You'll find when you get varying opinions your mind is opened to more facts and possibilities. However, if you're at all disappointed with the site you're free to leave. I'm going to miss you and your contributions to the site, but we always have Email. Bye

13. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jessica, I think it is obvious by my tone that I am not on any "attack", unlike some of the responses I received here. I think we all could use some criticism and I 've stated mine -I think- constructively. I appreciate the responses, I have come to understand that as much as we cling to opinions there's always room for change and that people may not admit to it often, but most of the time they do realize what the other party is putting across and silently accept it. It's never black or white. That said I have yet to hear a concrete argument on the stories I posted from across the street which are neither unfounded gossip that would have legal implications like the forrester research and the presentation of snow leopard features, or the funding for new stores and remodeling of old say, nor unimportant. I have also not heard anything about why two unreleased devices dominate page 1 instead of the multitude of great iphone and touch contenders by samsung, lg, nokia etc.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Silently accepting 'it' would be to sit here and think MacRumors is the one stop place for all news. Like I said, not unlike current events that do not pertain to technology, I never rely on one source. If I did then I would be 'silently accepting' that there are no opinions out there aside from this one.

Room for change? Sure, but you've yet to seek to understand why things are the way they are. Is there a defect in the model or is Arn (the site's owner) covering his ass in the event something leaked falls under scrutiny of higher powers (and there are higher powers than MacRumors). All I am saying is that you appeared to have gone on the attack instead of seeking to understand. We are all guilty of it (me more than most as it shows in my track record), but when everyone comes down off wherever they are, it's best to ask for clarification first.

I'll still miss you when you go.

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I remember a long time ago MacRumors would post screenshots/seednotes etc. of future builds of Mac OS X and it would literally be a race to see who could save them to their hard-drive and upload them for others as a zip before the article was updated to say 'Pictures removed at the request of Apple legal'.

So that might...might...answer a reduction in the Snow Leopard stuff; preferring to link to other sites rather than post their own. Especially after the protracted Think Secret saga - we don't want that happening here.

AppleMatt

16. thecritix macrumors 6502

I'm tempted to say I agree with the OP.

There does seem to be a lack of news or rumor re Apple products, and loads about Pre's and Zunes.

It's nice to hear when they are released etc but it would be nice to remain Apple focused.

17. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. And also why the pre and not the real leader in smart phones nokia? Why zune and not samsung, the yp say that the zune is actually a rebranding of?

@applemat, points taken, but
    a. There have been articles on say the new marble interface, QuickTime x etc. So it seems litigation hasn't stopped these.
    b. Like I said this is just part of the story: why are international apple promos and sales p. 2 something that affects and interests so many of us, and pre syncing is page 1? Why was the forrester research high satisfaction rates gone completely amiss?

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As someone who has only had their account since March of this year, I'm not sure you are the best to see any trends. The site has existed since 2001. I'm not noticing the changes you are. I see other changes, but they are good ones in my opinion. Also, this is a community, if you feel something should be getting attention you can submit an article to MR. You can become a contributor. If you want to see something Apple Insider is covering here, then submit it. Nobody is stopping you from talking about other things that MR doesn't post on Page 1.

19. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Because the Pre is new to market, and the Zune has just had a major upgrade. The Nokia doesn't fit the bill in that respect, not is it generally compared to the iPhone or iPod lines. That much should be obvious to anyone.

Discussions of potentially forthcoming features may or may not be treading onto legally foggy realms, historically MR has been fairly conservative if there's any doubt. Nonetheless, an article does not necessarily news make.

Pre syncing through iTunes is a pretty big deal. Once again, this should be obvious. As far as consumer satisfaction surveys, again, this isn't really news. Consumer Reports also just ranked (as of the 6/09 issue) the Apple lines best in class across the board for laptops, and in the top two for desktops. Is this really newsworthy?

Additionally, there is a difference between news and commentary. Much of what you may consider as news is not really that, but more of a discussion or retreading of an article that doesn't qualify for front page inclusion. Browse the forums, you're sure to find it all discussed ad nauseam there.

Don't try to take a snapshot view in evaluating the editorial predilection of MR, or any other aggregator. Look at months of news and rumors among the various sites, and you'll see quite plainly that the overwhelming majority of "news" is identical. I'm sure Arn and the admins could simply regurgitate everything that comes along, but that would lessen the value of MR as a source for the most significant news or trustworthy rumors.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Whoa whoa whoa ...
    A) Someone who has never been to this site can (with research), in fact, can do some trending of the site. The site has been around since 2001, so has much of the data on the site. Easily searchable data that one could compile and do some trending. So please, let us not take the route where we decide that someone's length of time here makes their opinions any less valid.

B) Because you are not noticing the changes the OP is noticing does not mean they're not there. I believe this site and the content provided is subjective.

C) Being a contributor is not going to change the way the site reads.

I agree though, if he sees something not here then he can submit it, people do it every day regardless of how senseless it sounds. I agree with you there.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Much of the new tech in the smartphone market moves from one manufacturer to another so its a good thing that the Pre and Zune HD are highlighted as some of their tech may make it into the iPhone/iPod touch in the near future.

Sometimes AI gets the scoop and sometimes MR gets the scoop. That's life. To be honest, there has been SO MUCH frontpage news in the last few weeks/months (after a particularly dry period), that its easy to miss things.

22. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, the key piece there is "with research." I highly doubt he did as most people haven't forgotten how to, even journalist. If the OP had researched it then he should have provided his results rather than only pointing out some news article from the past couple weeks.

It may be true about the trends, but without providing any evidence of said trend, then it's just ranting and that gets old real quick. I sighed the moment I read the title to this thread and it went downhill from there.

I'd say being a contributor is the only way the site will change. Contributing both in of articles as well as participation in the forums.

23. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can take a horse to the water...

Anyway, what I said, I said it in good will and I don't want to get into a food fight with anyone. Some people just don't want to "get" the others opinion at whatever cost and it's useless to argue over the internet with people you don't know whose arguments make little sence. I will still be around, maybe less in the front pages, I can only hope that some of the things I said got through, otherwise I will still enjoy the community here and the forums. Peace. :):apple:

24. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I really don't read any other news sites except this one, because the front page and the forum cover anything I wish to know for the most part. and I think that all the best news and info comes from within the forums behind the main page. :D

25. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If you look through the everything we know threads you can get stuff before the main page gets it.