This texting delay is getting REALLY old!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhimpele, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bhimpele macrumors member

Anyone else starting to become REALLY frustrated??

2. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

While I don't text that much and my iPhone 3G is not lagging as badly as some people's iPhones i can imagine that it would get very annoying and frustrating for heavy texters. Unfortunately, the only thing to do is wait for new firmware to arrive and hopefully that will fix the problem.

3. Inf4life macrumors regular

Inf4life

It is annoying but it only happens once in awhile for me. All I do is turn the phone off and back on and it works just fine.

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

This is annoying. Pretty much the only bug I have experienced on 2.0. No other keyboards on the iphone lag, just the texting one. It always lags for me, even after a reboot.

On a positive note, opening an SMS conversation no longer lags like it did before.

5. bhimpele thread starter macrumors member

I think that once I leave "text" and go back i, the delay goes away. But going back is another 5 second delay!

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I heard that it was purposely done as part of a big plan by Apple to get people to stop texting so we'll stop complaining that there still isn't MMS......

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Whoever said that is stupid. That doesn't make any sense. MMS is more about sending pics and video.

8. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I may be taking a stab in the dark here, but I actually think 'Surely' was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

R-Fly

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Wow.

Thank you. I guess I really do need to use one of these: :rolleyes: if I dare to post something sarcastic.

10. iMeat macrumors member

mine just started lagging, sure does piss me off. I wonder if i clear all my conversations if that will help. Has anyone tried that yet?

11. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

or a [sarcasm] ... [/sarcasm]. Some people just don't get it, sad... very sad, but it's the world we live in today.

12. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Well it kinda hard to tell sarcasm on a forum, however I agree that it was Surely obvious.

13. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

Try switching off 3g

The other day when the texting lag started, I went back to the home menu and turned off 3g in settings. Went back to sms and it was snappier! Not sure if i just got lucky, but it worked for me.

14. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

The lag seems to rectify itself once the SMS app is closed and re-opened.

I think you encountered a coincidence.

R-Fly

15. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Mine was laggy as soon as I installed 2.0. I set it up as a new phone, so there was not a single message in the db when I first noticed it.

16. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

ahh gotcha, thanks for clarifying that.

17. bhimpele thread starter macrumors member

Just hit the home button then go back into texts and the lag goes away.......for a little while.

18. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

The fact that the lag occurs so erratically makes it even more frustrating. I mean it isn't some wild animal you're trying to hide from and you do a few things and think it's gone and then you see it creeping back up behind you. This is technology! They ought to fix it.

19. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Lagging for me only occurs when I am installing an application.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You know what THIS means...

After every Leopard update, you inevitably get someone posting in the OS X forums, saying "Safari seems snappier!"

Now? I bet you with 2.0.1 and future updates, we're going to get... "SMS is snappier!!" :D

21. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Texting will make you grow hair on your palms. Knock it off.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

People wait a year for 3G and now the solution to half their problems is to turn off 3G?

We're seriously overdue for 2.0.1. I for one am not impressed with how buggy 2.0 has been.

23. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna bet on "Zippier" ;)

24. taytho macrumors 6502

its true..... i am living proof. plus if you are a really heavy texter, as in thats the most important thing to you, the iphone probably isnt the phone for you.

25. iMeat macrumors member

im a heavy texter and the iphone is perfect for me, not sure why it wouldnt be. Came from a enV( with full keypad), i like the iphone better. Now if they would just fix this slow typing bug.