This thing definitely does get hotter.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FooArk, May 5, 2012.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Just bought it about 20 min ago. Was just on my bed browsing. Bottom left and corner was heating up. Also, definitely is heavier too.

But the screen is nice

2. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Much bigger battery to power the retina and much bigger SOC. What were you expecting?

3. Caledones macrumors newbie

I've definitely noticed the bottom left heating, but it hasn't really bothered me so far. Too busy being fascinated by the iPad itself!

4. shortcrust macrumors 6502

You know, people are allowed to talk about it being warmer.

5. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

I like that it's warmer, makes for a nice hand warmer. :D

6. blow45 macrumors 68000

apparently not, if some people could get their way here...:rolleyes:

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

That's garbage. Everybody knows it's warmer. It's the rumor-mongering jerks who want to spread the lie that it has an overheating problem that people take offense to.

It most definitely does get warm, but it's about the middle of the pack compared to how warm other devices get.

8. blow45 macrumors 68000

Oh yeah, everybody knows it's warmer? How come? All people on the globe are following apple news sites or does apple specifically mention it on the box?

I think it's the jerks feeling compelled to defend a 40 billion dollar profit per year company by attacking a poster on his or her mere sharing of their experience that the ipad "does get warmer" or that it's heavier that people take offense to.

The op's registered here a year ago, very obviously not a paid shill or someone out to get apple like the little apple army here might think he or she might be. The op got a new ipad and said it does feel warmer and heavier, just shared their experience, that's what the forums are about. But watch out, if you don't come here to praise apple uniformly then you are apple's enemy and you 'll get people jumping on you...this is rubbish...

Btw, it's not about middle of the pack compared to how other tablets get warm, it's the leader the of the pack. Just so you get your facts straight.

9. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Its hotter so what, its also packing different hardware which is all running well within design spec I'm sure. Hotter where I live is better - now I won't need to use my gloves when gaming on my new iPad.... Fulli Sic!

10. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I use mine in a folio case so I wouldn't know. The other iPad in the living room is naked and for the odd time when I do use that one I don't notice it getting warm, but I just use it for web browsing. Honestly I notice my phone getting very warm when I have it up to my face and feel the warmth coming from the cell and the battery. A warm phone would bother me much much more than a tablet in my hands.

11. mcsenerd macrumors regular

Ummmm... And exactly what area of your posterior did this come from? I am guessing you've taken the time to personally test each tablet currently produced for heat generation under load? I think you are sorely mistaken if you think the new iPad is the hottest tablet out there...

12. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

If it seems hot, it might be the brightness setting. If auto is off and you use a high setting, it's probably going to get warm. Mine is absolutely cool with brightness set to auto and at 50%.

13. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Has anyone been enjoying the extra heat? My girlfriend and I find it very sensual. I laid it screen down on the bed one time, and my cat curled up on top and went to sleep. :D

14. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

While playing monopoly on it in indirect sunlight it was actually really hot, began to worry me, but during normal use (use away from sunlight) it's rarely even warm.

15. mcsenerd macrumors regular

16. blow45 macrumors 68000

Since you accused me that I am pulling things out of my posterior, can you explain to me how this (from your links):

i.e., it is warmer, but not dramatically, i.e. considerably so, does not translate to what I said
    Is it middle of the pack warm? No. Is it the warmest of the crop? Yes. Is it dramatically so? No.

Just so we know who is engaging their "posterior" to do the talking here.

17. mcsenerd, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012

mcsenerd macrumors regular

While you are picking threads of hope to back your claims on...I believe that you will find in many cases the 'droid tablets ran hotter than the new iPad in several conditions. So I guess that makes the new iapad lead the pack huh? Just get over it... It's certainly not applicable to make any blanket statement such as, "it's the hottest on the market" when you can't say that because you haven't tested or controlled for every possible condition, scenario, or environment. So yeah...that blanket statement was pulled straight outta you know where. Just go wash your hands and we'll call it a day.

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Actually, I said nothing about your posterior, but you've done a great job of proving your own words. If you dig any deeper you'll rip out your own tonsils. :p

19. apriori macrumors newbie

As someone who returned three new iPads due to screen defects, I've yet to notice any heat problems after prolonged usage. In my estimation, the new iPad doesn't get appreciably warmer than the 1st gen model.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Well said.

Personally I prefer to have interesting intelligent discussions. Sharing our experiences & solutions.

Sadly, far too many prefer to attack, criticize, personalize, and use acerbic remarks in their replies. A very revealing testimony to who they are.

21. Madjobs macrumors newbie

Do not say anything negative........

Or you get beat up by the fanboys or banned for 3days

SAY 10 times slowly....there are no problems-all is perfect....I am a fanboy

22. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

You're so stupid. Most of us have previously owned either the 1st iPad or the iPad 2. So the new iPad being hotter will be a problem for us, because we arent used to it.

23. mcsenerd macrumors regular

I have all three... Saying it performs different...ok. Saying it's a "problem" is quite another. If the new iPad has a problem...so does every flippin' laptop, ultra book, netbook, tablet, etc with any more horsepower than a graphing calculator.
    You'd be the stupid one if you're implying anything else. It's hotter than the others who have half the backlight, GPU, and battery...so flippin' what captain obvious? It's still not hot enough to be of any issue in real world usage. Maybe if every other post on this site wasn't from peeps bitchin, moanin, pissin, or complaining about every little nitpicking thing that the media can think of to blow up then folks like me who've been around since the PowerPC days wouldn't be so equally ornery.

Let's just get it out there...
    Is the "new" iPad perfect? No. Is it hotter in operation than previous versions? Yes.
    Has Apple had some issues with display quality? Anecdotally...perhaps...but no more so than any other company producing who is shipping the same number of units would have/has had IMHO.
    Is the "new" iPad some kind of second coming in the name of all that is tablet holy? Uh...no...no it's not. But it is a nice upgrade just in the screen itself, and if you're coming from the first gen it's a no-brainer upgrade.

Pure and simple...if you don't like the Apple ecosystem, the Apple "mentality", the way Apple products work, feel, perform, etc... By all means return your piece of flawed technology and go purchase one of the many fine Android tablets currently on the market (this is not patronizing by the way...I quite like many of the 'droid tablets...specifically the Prime). You'll be happier, the folks that believe in the "Apple way" will be happier, and everyone will get along just fine.

24. quagmire, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My 17" Macbook Pro runs warmer than my old 12" Powerbook G4.

My parents 20" iMac G5 runs warmer than their old Powermac G4.

Does that mean there is a problem with those two machines? Are they overheating? No, they simply just run warmer than their older machines.

No one is denying the new iPad runs warmer than the original and iPad 2. No one is dismissing your observation in your OP. What we are dismissing is the assumption that there is something wrong with the new iPad simply because it runs warmer than the older versions.

It really isn't a surprise it runs warmer either and that you can feel it. One the A5X is more power hungry due to the Quad-Core GPU. More power needed= more heat generated. Second the A5X cover is not just a cover anymore like it was for the A4 and A5. It's also a heatsink. The aluminum back of the iPad helps to dissipate from the heatsink.