Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by dcb
Many companies sell third party products. Apple doesn't produce their computers...does that make them a fake company?

No, you arent paying attention--the computer they are selling (and are claiming to have made) is actually made by another company. It'd be like Apple having a Sony Vaio on their website claiming to have made it.

It is possible that they are a company that modifies existing hardware (ie, overclocking, upgrading Video Cards, etc) but they dont actually make any of this hardware.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by dcb
But...a reputable company (maccentral, macminute, etc) pretty much verifies all press releases. That is the first lesson in journalism...verify, verify, verify!

And I just want to note...I could care less whether they are real or not. It would be a heck of a spoof though, and I don't rule out that possibility. BUT, I am not going to immediately dismiss them simply because I don't like the idea of them ripping off Apple's website.

Oh I agree with you there. It's the specs of the systems that make this seem very unbelievable to me. It's incedental to me that they're ripping off Apple's web design. I just would like to see some independent proof is all. You would think that if something like this was available or coming soon, we would have heard a lot about it by now. All I've seen anywhere outside of their website is the same regurgitated press release and I'd like to see more proof than that...

KCK

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
Oakland, CA
Did anyone read the history of the company?? It was interesting to say the least. The Company history started out with a story about how this director was hired by Coke to make the last Coke commercial in 1999. The director was on limited time and budget so he was forced to edit his commercial on location. His Mac computer was to slow and he didn't finish editing his commercial until 10 minutes before it was suppose to air ( just before midnight 1999).

due to his poor experience with his Mac this director built his own computer. his homemade computer was so fast that his friends decided they wanted on. This director started getting more orders for his home made computers and he has finally taken some time off from directing and is turning his hobby into a new computer business.

Interesting reading but it raised all sorts of red flags in my mind

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by agreenster
No, you arent paying attention--the computer they are selling (and are claiming to have made) is actually made by another company. It'd be like Apple having a Sony Vaio on their website claiming to have made it.

It is possible that they are a company that modifies existing hardware (ie, overclocking, upgrading Video Cards, etc) but they dont actually make any of this hardware.

No, you are not paying attention. Many companies resell what other manufacturers make and put their labels on them. It is called licensing rights. It is a very, very common practice in the real world. AND, how much hardware do you think apple actually makes, or dell, or gateway?

OR, this company could sell licensing rights to other companies so that they can put their name on the product. I'm paying attention, I just assumed that fact was basic knowledge. I'll remember to fully explain myself to you for now on.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by KCK
due to his poor experience with his Mac this director built his own computer. his homemade computer was so fast that his friends decided they wanted on. This director started getting more orders for his home made computers and he has finally taken some time off from directing and is turning his hobby into a new computer business.

The exact quote is "noticing the shrinking market of Apple/Mac products, [the founder] bets on the PC/Windows platform."

Man, that was a bold, risky "bet" to adopt Windows in 2000. Very risky.

Something ain't right....

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Mac users only: You may experience linking errors when using the main navegation bar above,
with both the Internet Explorer and Safari Browsers. We are looking into the issue and correcting
it as soon as the technical issues have been identified. PC users are not affected by this.

why do i have a feeling they're trying to make people think apple's browser is harder to work with....that's some dirty tactics. this company is disgusting.

if you like the multi monitors...try these:

http://www.9xmedia.com/index.html
http://www.9xmedia.com/pages-Build_a_system/X-Top_Expert---5_over_5.html

5%20over%205.jpg

this company is also perfectly real and they seem to specialize in multi screen setups. :)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It does seem odd that they copy Apple's style, find ways to poke cheap shots at Apple any chance they get, "sell" a lot of BS stuff that isn't even real or completely from another company, and a lot of the info just does not ad up. Even on a PC the site has a lot of weird errors (I checked on my roommate's HP). You'd think a legit company would be able to code a page more properly, be able to spell and use grammar more effectively, and not sell products that don't yet exist.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by KCK
How strange that he was able to make Pentiums faster than Intel makes them...

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
Just thought you might find this interesting...The pitcher icon at
http://www.go-l.com/technology/index.html (in the middle next to the happy mac ripoff) is an icon I downloaded from xicons.com months ago...

edit: It appears that the icon in question is not for commercial uses and cant be used on another website...And the person who made it uses a PowerMac...

-Zach

filmcutter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Portland, OR
If Miguel Liebermann was a "Hollywood Commercial Film Director," his name would certainly turn up on imdb.com, LA411.com, or at least Google. Maybe he is one of the "disappeared" that turns up in google search.

And what the heck is "PuRam" that keeps turning up in their PC specs??

Scam, scam, scammity scam.

RubberChicken

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Australia
To say that they have copied Apple's website is an insult to Apple, clearly it has been inspired by someones vague recollection, then transformed into this poorly coded and designed site. The copywriting and grammer is very poor - unless English is their second language. It has to be a joke, but it's hard to believe someone has that much time up their sleeves.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Lets see...

Blantantly rips-off Apple (among others apparently) while insulting them (saying it’s a compliment), makes outrageous claims that it can’t seem to back up, products that don’t really exist, clueless customer service and form letter e-mails…

Anyone else reminded of BuyMusic.com? Wonder how they’re doing. Oh, right. :p

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
3.8GHz Accelerated Hyper-Threading Extreme
Edition 2MB L3 Cache Intel® P4
512K L2 Cache
Support for next-gen Pentium 5 Prescott CPU
950MHz System Bus
PuRam™ No System Hard Drive Configurable
Up to 1.000 faster than ATA/SCSI/FC HD based
designs with Data Burst Speeds up to 8GB/s
and I/O data requests at over 150.000 I/O sec.
Enhanced CacheFlow™ Technology
SuperBIOS™ IBPT Technology
180W Sub-zero Vapor Compression Cooling
DDR-II Performance PC4200 533MHz Dual-Channel
DDR, up to 4GB
Up to 16GB Total RAM with optional RamDrives.
Over 8.4Gb/s Memory Bandwidth
ATA-133 RAID, Serial ATA-150 Connectivity
UltraSCSI-360 & FiberChannel Expansion
Up to 2 Terabytes of Colossal Storage Capacity
Intel Performance Acceleration Technology
AGP Pro 8x Accelerated 256bit MemoryBus
Radeon™ 9800 Pro Graphics with 8 Pixel Pipelines
at 3.04Gp/s Pixel Fil rate, 21.8GB/bandwidth &
Multi-monitor, High-Definition support
Ultra High-speed 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
Front Panel Multi-information LCD Status
Display, External removable HD Storage racks
with LCD Monitoring or Multi-Optical Drives
interchangeable bays
FireWire 400 & 800 Ports
Up to 8 Full-Duplex USB2 480Mb/s Ports
6 Channel Digital IA Audio with Artificial
Intelligence Audio-Sensing Technology &
S/PDIF Digital interface
3COM Gigabit LAN with AI Net
(Artificial Intelligence Net-Diagnosing)
Up to 74 32-bit or 64-bit PCI slots expandability
650W VF-Speed Power Supply
AI Ultra-low noise Q-Fan technology
802.11G Wireless LAN & Bluetooth Expansion
Artificial Intelligence Auto-Recovery BIOS
Absolutely stunning design combined high-end
european critical components quality worksmanship.

i don't think i'm the only one who thinks this looks a little fishy...
Artificial intelligence Auto-Recovery?
A 6400x1200 desktop?
someone had a little too much fun with a new copy of photoshop...

reality

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by realityisterror
3.8GHz Accelerated Hyper-Threading Extreme
Edition 2MB L3 Cache Intel® P4
512K L2 Cache
Support for next-gen Pentium 5 Prescott CPU
950MHz System Bus
PuRam™ No System Hard Drive Configurable
Up to 1.000 faster than ATA/SCSI/FC HD based
designs with Data Burst Speeds up to 8GB/s
and I/O data requests at over 150.000 I/O sec.
Enhanced CacheFlow™ Technology
SuperBIOS™ IBPT Technology
180W Sub-zero Vapor Compression Cooling
DDR-II Performance PC4200 533MHz Dual-Channel
DDR, up to 4GB
Up to 16GB Total RAM with optional RamDrives.
Over 8.4Gb/s Memory Bandwidth
ATA-133 RAID, Serial ATA-150 Connectivity
UltraSCSI-360 & FiberChannel Expansion
Up to 2 Terabytes of Colossal Storage Capacity
Intel Performance Acceleration Technology
AGP Pro 8x Accelerated 256bit MemoryBus
Radeon™ 9800 Pro Graphics with 8 Pixel Pipelines
at 3.04Gp/s Pixel Fil rate, 21.8GB/bandwidth &
Multi-monitor, High-Definition support
Ultra High-speed 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
Front Panel Multi-information LCD Status
Display, External removable HD Storage racks
with LCD Monitoring or Multi-Optical Drives
interchangeable bays
FireWire 400 & 800 Ports
Up to 8 Full-Duplex USB2 480Mb/s Ports
6 Channel Digital IA Audio with Artificial
Intelligence Audio-Sensing Technology &
S/PDIF Digital interface
3COM Gigabit LAN with AI Net
(Artificial Intelligence Net-Diagnosing)
Up to 74 32-bit or 64-bit PCI slots expandability
650W VF-Speed Power Supply
AI Ultra-low noise Q-Fan technology
802.11G Wireless LAN & Bluetooth Expansion
Artificial Intelligence Auto-Recovery BIOS
Absolutely stunning design combined high-end
european critical components quality worksmanship.

i don't think i'm the only one who thinks this looks a little fishy...
Artificial intelligence Auto-Recovery?
A 6400x1200 desktop?
someone had a little too much fun with a new copy of photoshop...

reality

what tipped you off? was it the 74 PCI slots? or the fact that it lists fibre channel as a hard drive spec?

This this is totally bogus. If it isnt a joke, Im going to head over to their headquarters myself and bust some heads.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I can't even think of any experimental futuristic computers coming out in the next decade with 74 PCI slots, HD in RAM, that kind of performance, and everything. It looks like they just took every buzz term from any computer they found and multiplied the specs by 20 and came up with a "ultimate computer to prove that Apple's G5 sucks". Seriously, it just looks like they are trying to prove the G5 isn't as fast because they are able to make up a fantasy computer that would be faster...I may wish that I had a Ferrari in my driveway or that my Ford Probe could handle like one, but all the wishing in the world won't make it so...so how do they figure wishing up this computer would suddenly "prove" that the G5 is "so much slower"?

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I just looked at Intel's website and even they don't list anything *near* a 3.8 GHz processor, HTEE, 2 megs L3 cache, 950 MHz bus, or performance figures that this website does. If this is "future" technology, I can't seem to find anywhere within the PC rumor community that says this is out.

Did anyone read the footnotes? It states that the initial processor speed is 3.2Ghz and the bus speed is 800Mhz. I'm betting that their so-called 'speed boosts' and 'improvements' are nothing more than over-clocking done at marked-up prices.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm highly suspicious of this company as well, although their site is impressively filled out (including a slow-loading but apparently functional online store).

Just waned to clear up a couple of things: If you read carefully, their systems actually max out at 4GB of RAM. The larger models up to "16GB" are actually a combination of 4GB motherboard ram and a RAM drive (in the case of the 16, 4GB actual ram and a 12GB RAM drive). So they're not doing anything technically impossible there, just highly misleading.

The processors seem to be heavily overclocked P4 3.2s (especially given the "180W cooling system" their specs list), but I'm again suspicious.

And the "up to 74 PCI slots" is referring to an external expansion chassis--there's a picture if you try their BTO store. It's possible (with a Mac, too--companies like Magma), but they don't even give a price for that option.

My point is, it's possible that they're OEM rebranding some stuff, and building decked-out, overclocked boxes for the rest.

But even if it is legit, they're still blatantly ripping off Apple, and doing some backhanded marketing (not making it clear that they're massively overclocking their processors, for example), so I sure wouldn't buy from them.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Makosuke
My point is, it's possible that they're OEM rebranding some stuff, and building decked-out, overclocked boxes for the rest.

Ding Ding Ding!!

We have a winner folks. ;)

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Riped-off icons, too?

If I saw my icons used without my permission I'd be miffed. And if they were used on an anti-Mac site such as this, I'd be furious! Did the site owners get written permission from Sashcha Hoehne, the guy behind RAD.E8 Design ?

Two icons from the RAD.E8 Body Care set are used on the site. The first instance is on the 'WinXP 4' page; the small mirror is Face Care's "mirror." The second instance is Face Care's "face care" cream tub, seen on... (I can't find it anymore.)

The site's definitely the result of much work... but I doubt its authenticity.

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Hey! Over Here! Look at me! Look at me!!!

Originally posted by scem0
yeah, its a rip off.

But it's also no big deal.

scem0

True.

I get the impression this site's like that kid you knew growing up who always lied to get attention.

Let's not give it any more hits. Maybe it'll learn a lesson. :)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Re: Hey! Over Here! Look at me! Look at me!!!

Originally posted by Phazer80s
True.

I get the impression this site's like that kid you knew growing up who always lied to get attention.

Let's not give it any more hits. Maybe it'll learn a lesson. :)

Reminds me of my friend...he has a Compaq Celeron laptop. For most of the semester he bragged about how it was a "custom built $3500" laptop with the fastest processor and maxed out RAM and everything. One day I had to fix it for him and decided to see what it had under the hood...1 GHz Celeron, 256 megs RAM, a 40 gig HD, and an integrated Intel gfx. I told him how cheap his "$3500 custom built" laptop was. He insisted it was completely custom and that it only says Compaq since he liked the look and had it as the shell. Today he saw my roommate's HP and noted the ugly blue and green lights under all of the function buttons and HD/charge lights and said how he was thinking of adding that to his laptop and how easy it is to do it and mentioned how ugly the PowerMac G5 is when seeing my G5 poster on the wall and asking how I could be excited over my ugly PowerBook I ordered. Funny...this coming from a 22 year old who thinks dressing in red and orange shorts and vest every day looks cool and hip...

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: Re: Hey! Over Here! Look at me! Look at me!!!

Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Reminds me of my friend...he has a Compaq Celeron laptop. For most of the semester he bragged about how it was a "custom built $3500" laptop with the fastest processor and maxed out RAM and everything. One day I had to fix it for him and decided to see what it had under the hood...1 GHz Celeron, 256 megs RAM, a 40 gig HD, and an integrated Intel gfx. I told him how cheap his "$3500 custom built" laptop was. He insisted it was completely custom and that it only says Compaq since he liked the look and had it as the shell. Today he saw my roommate's HP and noted the ugly blue and green lights under all of the function buttons and HD/charge lights and said how he was thinking of adding that to his laptop and how easy it is to do it and mentioned how ugly the PowerMac G5 is when seeing my G5 poster on the wall and asking how I could be excited over my ugly PowerBook I ordered. Funny...this coming from a 22 year old who thinks dressing in red and orange shorts and vest every day looks cool and hip...

People like that need to be dragged out into the streets, beaten with clubs, then shot.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
If you have the "Debug Menu" enabled in Safari, set "User Agent" to Windows MSIE 6.0, and force reload the page -- suddenly, most of the buttons go to the right pages :)

So basically, this site was specifically designed to screw up in mac browsers -- Interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.