Those freakin' folders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

How long are we gonna put up with this horrible implementation of folders on the homescreen? Or am I just the only one annoyed by this? Coming from Android I could put AS MANY items in a folder, and the folder was scrollable. But iOS has the most pathetic folders I've ever seen. How did Apple mess this up?

iOS 5 did not fix this, did it? iOS 6 maybe? *sigh* I'm sure I'm not the only one. What do you guys think about it, and how do you workaround this issue? (besides jailbreaking)

2. elfy macrumors 6502

You ain't going to work around it without jailbreaking.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

4. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

By "workaround" I didnt mean bypass. I kinda meant "how do you deal with it" for example, I create a second folder with the same name and a "2" at the end) Sorry for the confusion

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I kind of deal with it by realizing it's just a phone, and if i have multiple folders i chalk it up to "no big deal" i've got bigger problems than 16 app limit or whatever it is in a folder! :)

6. flipster macrumors 6502a

The only thing I don't like about them is that when they're on the homescreen, they have laggy animations. You can't have the folder at the bottom of the home screen because it lags when you open it, but if you move it to the top, the lags gone. I hope they fix this with iOS 5.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I have a fix: don't use them if you don't like them. I personally don't like them, so I don't use them. I like my pages.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, well if you a super-long list that you can scroll through...isn't that what the normal iPhone screen without folders is? Go ahead...scroll on to the right to your heart's content.

The whole point of folders is that some of us didn't WANT to scroll so much. But if you like scrolling you can just keep using pages and not folders.

Or am I missing something?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's this tweak in cydia that's called infinityfOlders (or something like that) and it allows you to scroll within a folder. It's implemented really well. Would be nice for apple to include this

10. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

When you group apps by subject you need more than 12 spaces in a folder. (for example, "Video" "Music", ect." iOS's homescreen gives the user almost no control over how organized it is. I pretty much have to have a mess of folders, multiple folders for each subject. There's also a delay when opening folders which makes things slow when I simply want to open my apps quickly.

11. elfy macrumors 6502

Haha! Yeah, I deal with it by jailbreaking. :)

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That's actually what Spotlight Search is for. Many people including myself probably forget about this feature.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I agree about the delay, but the limit has never bothered me.

I mean, maybe you're not being specific enough? I would never put 'Table Games,' 'Strategy Games,' 'Puzzle Games' or 'Action Games' all in the same folder anyway.

I've yet to reach 12 of any particular KIND of app once I divide them up like I feel I need to.

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm curious, has anyone else experience the phone lag anywhere else besides opening folders? I was under the impression that the iPhone never suffered from lag.

I'm discovering the keyboard can miss pressed keys and it frustrates me to no end. I'll end up "typig like ths" for example, and sometimes autocorrect changes the word to something else entirely. Sure, it's funny to post these up online, but it's frustrating as hell when you're trying to write something more serious than a casual exchange.

15. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Well the iPhone has "lag", very very VERY little lag though. It's actually more like a really small delay. Not stuttery or glitchy or anything. It's still like heaven compared to my Android phones though.

16. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Never bothered me before really. Then again I only use two folders now for games and that's it so I don't deal with them as much anymore.

18. err404 macrumors 68020

The folder limit forces me to keep organized. Most people would be hard pressed to come up with more than 12 apps in the same sufficiently descriptive category which they use on a regular basis.
    When I go over 12, I just remove something that I'm not using.

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I know this thread talks about folders, so I will address that too, but I also want to talk about the lag thing that came up. I have used android (froyo and gingerbread), iOS, and WP7. I have to say that WP7 and iOS are much much much smoother than android. They suffered pretty much no lag except for the occasional slowdown in the keyboard. Although using custom android roms did help, they weren't as good as WP7 and iOS. As for the folders, I don't download too many apps so my folders don't fill up. Plus I primarily use spotlight to find apps anyway.

20. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I don't get it why people always find something to whine about IOS. If you don't like, deal with it or use another phone with another OS. Personally I like IOS a lot, of course it has some imperfections, but what OS doesn't?

21. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I use Spotlight all the time... One feature I would like to see in Spotlight is for a way to "open location" or something similar that would show you where the app is located on your phone when you search for it.

22. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I make up for it by having less than 17 apps per any given type. I don't need that many note taking apps, etc. I really only see this as a problem for games, in which case I just make a folder for each genre.

23. PeteLP macrumors regular

I understand what you mean about the whining, but there's another side to it. Comments like these help apple know what users want. That's why iOS 5 is getting a better notification system. Because of a lot of comments like these

People who love iOS can still be passionate about the changes they want to see.

I for one really want the folder limit removed. Badly

Pete

24. kre62 macrumors 68000

Heres the solution and the answer you've been waiting for:

FolderEnhancer

Its available on the Cydia app store. To install, just go to www.jailbreakme.com and install Cydia in 30 seconds. Then go into Cydia and search for FolderEnhancer (one word)

Folders open instantly, you can have multiple pages, implementation is way better, and 16 apps per page in the folders. Also folders within folders.

I turned off the animation and made the background black, and the folder literally pops open before i lift my finger up.

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Emphasis mine. More than 12 in a folder would be nice.