Those going from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freida, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

I'm still using and iPhone 4 which I'm about to replace with iPhone 6 but today I went to see it and I have to say that I'm a bit worried about the size. It does seem way too big for me right now. In fact, I was a bit disappointed and started thinking that maybe 5S might be an option but I don't want an old technology.
    So, those of you who upgraded from iPhone 4, what is your experience and how are you finding it now? I have small hands so those with small hands too would you mind sharing your thoughts etc.,please?
    I was so excited about the iPhone 6 even though I wasn't crazy about the 4.7" screen but now I'm a bit worried that it might be too big for me.

Also, is it just me or does the display feel more like a plastic rather than a glass? Maybe the light weight might give a wrong impression.
    I love how light the phone is, its incredible :)

2. RyanG macrumors 6502

due to individual preferences and vastly varying phyiscal stats, i have no idea what you intend to get out of this thread

3. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I really started to hate the 4. It's puny tiny screen. The cold square metal case. The new one is wonderful and the front feels like the smoothest glass ever

4. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

I can tell you right now. All I would like from others is to share their experience about the switch.
    I do understand that you have linear thinking but not everyone is like that as you have so elegantly pointed out.
    Thank you for your input though, very informative!

5. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I did this upgrade today and have no regrets whatsoever. In fact, I did welcome the larger screen by far.

6. Marty! macrumors newbie

I went from a 4s to the 6. I absolutely loved my 4s...the quality, size, and detail of the 4s made it the ideal phone. Unfortunately, my eyesight is getting to the point I needed a larger screen.

That said, I am very pleased with the 6. The display is incredible (I am using zoom mode) and the phone is very responsive. As to the size, it does take some getting used to. I have a very basic case that keeps the overall size minimal, but it doesn't carry as well as my 4. Maybe I'm a little over cautious right now because I don't know how rugged the 6 is, but I just don't feel comfortable with it yet and just stuffing it in a pocket and forgetting it, but I suspect that will dissipate over time.

I don't find it cumbersome or inconvenient, just different. I'm also liking the speed of the LTE.

Good luck!

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I went from the 4 to the 6. Every time I pick up my old phone I say "How the **** did I use this". I never want to use a phone under 4.7 inches again. This is the perfect size.

8. saphir macrumors member

I also went from a 4 to a 6 (the Apple guy said he had to shake my hand for still having a 4 haha....yes a 4, not 4s!). I also have smaller hands and sure it's a bigger phone, but NO regrets. It's awesome. My 4 was getting so slow (literally minutes to load Facebook), and like someone else said, it now looks so tiny in comparison. It'll just take some time getting used to, but definitely worth it!

9. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I think comments such as this are hilarious. If it was such a dramatic and important change, then you would have switched to an Android phone a long time ago.

10. stuffradio macrumors 65816

iPhone 4 to 6 plus and no regrets. I can hold it fine, I just can't do everything with one hand. I only did things like swiping some buttons with one hand, and everything else was two handed anyways.

11. saphir macrumors member

I can only speak for myself, but...I prefer the Apple iOS over Android. And other people on my plan needed the upgrades more than I did, which is why I had not gotten a new phone for so long. The more you know! ;)

12. faizoff macrumors regular

Currently using a 4 and am patiently waiting for my 6+ to arrive. I've held on to this phone for too long. I don't think I'll have any problem with the large screen size.

I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 521 for $20 and am using just for passing the time and that already is a huge step up with the slightly larger screen. I really can't wait for a larger phone screen. I barely make calls on my phone anyways so more screen real estate is what I'm looking for. It should be better for texting, browsing, email, watching videos, gaming... practically everything I do now will be better served with a much larger screen.

13. USF813 macrumors regular

I went from an 8gb 4 to a 64gb 6. My 38 year old eyes were starting to protest the smaller screen. I contemplated getting a 5s, but decided the bigger screen was worth it. Yes, the size difference does take some getting used to. Honestly, it doesn't take up that much room in your pocket.

14. xbpr macrumors member

I went from a 4s to a 6. I wouldn't say I have small hands, but I'm struggling using the phone with one hand. The "reachability" function eases the vertical reach, but I have problems with the horizontal reach. I find that I'm using this phone more two handed than the 4s.

15. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I went from an antique 4, ordered a 6 mostly due to the amazing trade in $ I got. I think the 6 will be manageable, checked them out today at apple store. The 6+ is big but not huge. Both are too thin, wish the 6 was thicker and more battery.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ok which android phone has reachablity so I can still use my phone in one hand happily?

17. rpramanik macrumors regular

4s to 6+

Now I'm worried, still not shipped but ordered the night of... Well can always exchange if 6+ too big. Would have gone to android before if I didn't have a whole apple ecosystem, and liked apple design so much.:rolleyes:

18. scottish macrumors 6502a

I guess it's one of these things you don't realise until you have actually used both. I certainly never felt any great desire to have a 4.7" display but having used it for a few days I would not want to go back to the smaller 5s display now.

19. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

thank you guys so far for your responses, much appreciate that.

I've been very comfortable with the iP4 but as others mentioned, the damn phone is so slow that its unusable. I think that iOS7 was not meant to be for iP4 but thats another story.

I usually have my phone in my back pocket and I sometimes sit on it also and never had issue. I'm reasonably fit but I think with the new one I will have to change my behaviour and always take it out the pocket also.

I think you are right that perhaps I will get used to the size but at this point it is one element that worries me. Not like before when I was upgrading from 3G to 4 and there were no doubts as the upgrade was a no-brainer.

Btw, which case do you think will offer more protection? The silicone case or the leather case from Apple?

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Any android phone ever.*

*Nexus devices not included

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

So your telling me damn near every android phone will pull the screen down so I can reach it?

22. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Why? Does Android phone run iOS? Your comment's not only hilarious, but strange.

23. angevil macrumors regular

Big screen is very nice, but I really want a small phone........Apple should keep 3,5 inch screen, as the iPhones with that screen size were the best for handling. These big phones are sad!

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Android has had a similar feature for a while:
    [​IMG]

Some people (myself included) are ingrained in the iOS ecosystem. I've always wanted a bigger screen, but the pull of iOS was always greater. After using an iPhone 5, I couldn't imagine using an iPhone 4.

Hopefully I'll feel the same about the 5 when I start using my 6 Plus.

25. sandmanfvr macrumors member

Like others, went from a 4s to a 6 and its great. I have had larger phones, I had a nokia 920, so was use to the size. It is bigger, depending on the size of your hands some things may be hard to reach, but the double tap on the home button makes it easier. I love the phone, light, battery is great for me (see some others have issue I am good), speed is incredible, and screen/size is great. But it is up to the user.