Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I went from a 4 to the 6.
I enjoy the larger screen more than i thought I would.
The battery is actually pretty good.
And it's much faster than the 4.

That said- I feel the build quality is no where near what it is for the 4 and even the 5. The heft and design of the 4 made it a very durable phone. I never had it in a case. I dropped it a few times over the years and no cracked screen, not even a dent. A few scratches, but you would hardly notice.

The 6 feels very light- too light. It feels fragile in comparison to the 4.
It's also slippery. Very difficult to get a grip on this thing.
Those two things together tell me- put this thing in a case.
This phone will drop and it will break. There are already reports of them bending from sitting with it in your pocket. I kept my 4 in my back pocket for years. Never bent.

Sorry- but IMO- the hardware build on the 6 is so light, flimsy and cheesy- it feels like a plastic toy from Fisher Price.

I'll keep because of the performance- but it's going to have to go in a hard shell case which is extra $$$ and that sucks.

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I'm going to go from an iPhone 4 to the 6 - friday hopefully.

And I get what you mean. The iPhone 4 fits perfectly into my hand and when holding devices like the galaxy s3/4/5 they do feel too big for me as I can't hold them as easily as I can hold my 4 (and I'm a 6'3 tall guy with relatively large hands). But I really do want the bigger screen as I did start to envy the larger screens of the galaxy series and other phones and I'm pretty sure I can get used to the bigger size.

And I'll have to - the iPhone 4 is just too old and slow for me now and I def. won't switch to another device.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
iPhone 4 straight to the 6 plus - same for the Wife. Initially, I had huge reservations re: the size however, though I've only had the 6 plus a couple of days - we both love it & wont be exchanging it.

I admit the 4 feels more robust. The 6 especially, feels just so light compared to the 4.

I opted not to trade the 4 in, as I'll use it when travelling overseas for local SIM cards, so I'm not swapping cards in & out of the 6 plus.

thefeebster

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
I went from the 4 to 6 and after 5 days of use, I think the jury is still out on it for me. Still adjusting to the size.

I still love my 4, perfect size for one handed use. It became especially noticeable on the train holding my coffee in one hand and the 6 in the other. Very awkward. I'd have to constantly adjust my hand position, a very delicate balance. The 6 for me is not for one handed use.

I am also not that impressed with the battery usage. I must have had an abnormal 4 battery. But by the time I switched, I was still getting about 7.5-8 hours of usage on the 4, with a full charge. On the 6, I am getting not much more, which is likely due to the bigger screen and LTE. LTE is a major battery eater. 3G has been significantly better.

But it was ultimately time because the 4 became fairly slow. The screen on the 4-6 is like coming from 360p to 1080p. Text looks exponentially better. The phone is snappy. Overall it is enjoyable but it does have some flaws that bug me.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Tried the iPhone 6 for the first time today in an Apple Store and I have to say that I didn't really like the feel ..

It just wasn't comfortable in my hands, it felt too light and not robust at all .. I have been an iPhone 4 user for four years and I understand that I may need some time to adjust to the new size and weight but after today's experience I've started thinking about getting a 5s ...

On the positive side, the display is simply stunning ! We all know about the size but also the colours seem much improved and the new polarizer really does make a difference ..

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Tried the iPhone 6 for the first time today in an Apple Store and I have to say that I didn't really like the feel ..

It just wasn't comfortable in my hands, it felt too light and not robust at all .. I have been an iPhone 4 user for four years and I understand that I may need some time to adjust to the new size and weight but after today's experience I've started thinking about getting a 5s ...

On the positive side, the display is simply stunning ! We all know about the size but also the colours seem much improved and the new polarizer really does make a difference ..

I have both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. The 4S is just a work phone, so I don't really use any intensive apps on it. It's a perfect adequate phone. The iPhone 5 is still an amazing phone. Light, durable and fast. I've spent extensive time with the 6, and I can't bring myself to upgrading.

I have small hands and the iPhone 6 is a tad too large to use with one hand. For that reason, I'll be holding off on my upgrade and staying with the 5, which is the ideal size for people with smaller hands. Heck, I'm writing this on my iPhone 4S:

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I agree with the weight of the iP6. Even though its impressively light it does feel like a toy. It's such a weird combination that will probably take some time to get used to. I also agree that the design of iP4 seems way more solid (the drop videos of iP6 shows clearly how the screen comes off very easily)
I always used a case on iP4 and I'll be doing the same for iP6 once I get swayed to it. Right now I'm still debating the purchase.
It has got great technology inside and its impressively fast compared to iP4 but it lacks the one hand usability which I love from a phone. Hmm, will be hard but I guess eventually I will have to bite the bullet. :)

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I went from a 4s to 6 plus.
At first I didnt like the way the phone looked especially the bands. But now I'm ok with the look. It's not my favorite, my heart will always belong to the 4 series. Oh, the size of the 6 plus was a huge jump but im getting used to it. As soon as I get the right case situation ill b comfortable with this device. The device is light. I would love to eventually rock the 6+ naked but it feels so thin, light, & fragile.

iOS 8 has some great features but it is very buggy on my 6 plus. It's strange, but there were few to no issues on my 4s and iPads with ios8.

All in all my experience would have been so much better if ios8 was more solid.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Why? Does Android phone run iOS? Your comment's not only hilarious, but strange.

The point is people such as yourself are mocking the previous iterations of the iPhone (phones you used) simply because now they have larger screens. You are making the screen size seem SSSOOOOO important now. However, it clearly wasn't important enough for you to switch in the past. If it were, you would have switched.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The point is people such as yourself are mocking the previous iterations of the iPhone (phones you used) simply because now they have larger screens. You are making the screen size seem SSSOOOOO important now. However, it clearly wasn't important enough for you to switch in the past. If it were, you would have switched.

Exactly. The i5 was the last smaller screened iPhone that anyone should have bought if they really wanted a larger screen. Those who upgraded to the 5S surely weren't crying out for a larger screen? Otherwise they would have bought an Android device.
However, those who had an i4 or 4S could feasibly be 'ready' for that larger screened device now.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Not exactly 4 to 6, but I went from the 4S to the 6 Plus. Overall, I am satisfied with the transition and feel the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Most noticeable are of course the screen size and battery life. I actually didn't realize how much of a difference it made until I picked my 4S up a few days after using the 6 Plus, and being able to see just how small the 3.5" display was. At this point, I am unable to get a full day's heavy use out of the 4S without my Mophie battery case. With the 6 Plus I get a slimmer phone that gets about the same battery performance as the 4S + battery case.

Other improvements include TouchID, which makes unlocking a lot faster, as I don't even need to swipe; and I have not had TouchID be unable to register my finger(s) yet. The increase in real estate for the keyboard is also great. Didn't have too much of a problem on the 4S, but it's way more comfortable on the 6 Plus. Going from the 4/4S also means gaining LTE. The speed increase actually isn't all that apparent for most tasks (eg loading Facebook or a webpage), but really makes a different when downloading apps and streaming HD video reliably.

Gripes include the poorly thought out landscape keyboard. Apple should really introduce an option to have the keys shifted to the left and right, as in Windows 8. Although the fact that Apple has now opened up keyboard development to third parties means this is not as big a problem. Of course the biggest downside is adjusting to an entirely new size class. The footprint is easily twice that of the 4/4S. There are many pants in my wardrobe where the 6 Plus will simply not go all the way into the pocket. And in tighter pants, I am unable to lean over or sit down with the phone in them. This has changed how I use my phone. I put it in my jacket pocket more often.

And of course the hottest topic right now is Bendgate. I now check my iPhone every day by taking it out of the Apple leather case at night, but so far I haven't experienced any perceivable warping.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I didn't read through everyone's posts, but figured I'd chime in here.

background:
I had an iPhone 4 (my wife a 3GS then she upgraded to the 5, nice). I tested a Samsung Galaxy S4 for a month last year. Then work bought me an iPhone 5S.
Back in May work took back most of the work phones, so I went back ti my old iPhone 4.

I pre-ordered the iPhone 6. I had my drawings and cut-outs of the 6, 6Plus and held them. I figured I'd upgrade to the 6, not even thinking of the 6Plus (except for OIS and higher dpi/ppi).

I liked the 4. it was nice. but seeing and using the 5/5S was really nice. When I tested the S4, I told the test-market folks that I didn't like the size IN my pockets or carrying and harder to use one-handed, BUT I did like it for viewing videos/photos, and reading on it.

with the iPhone 6, it is basically the same size device as the S4. I do like the double-touch to bring the screen down. I don't always use it though. I like seeing 16:9 movies larger. and full-screen. I like reading on it. Touch ID is awesome...as is on the 5S

I want a phone that can last longer. and the iPhone 4 was at the end of its life for me. the Home button didn't always work and was just SLOW, plus not being able to go to iOS8.

in a year or two, Apple might just have these "large" screen phones (sure, Samsung will have even larger ones to compensate) but think the iPhone 6 is a good phone. it isn't "earth-shattering" but a great upgrade from a 4.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Please go into my history and quote me exactly where I was *mocking* the previous iPhone, just so people know you're not talking out of your ass.
For a record, if there is 4" iPhone 6 I'll buy that over 4.7 or 5.5 any days.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Please go into my history and quote me exactly where I was *mocking* the previous iPhone, just so people know you're not talking out of your ass.
For a record, if there is 4" iPhone 6 I'll buy that over 4.7 or 5.5 any days.

Maybe I got you mixed up with someone else, but there are a lot of people talking down about a phone that they chose to use just one week ago.

There is a 4" iPhone 6 option; the 5s. Performance wise, it's essentially identical in real world use and barely behind in benchmarks.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
A question about those who bought the iPhone 6 coming from the iPhone 4 .. Have you got used to the size of the iPhone 6 ?? I'm asking because every time I hold it into my hands, it just feels too big ..

I was waiting for a while for the iPhone 6 but now I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 5s because of the smaller form factor .. It still is a great phone and with less money I will get a higher capacity model (32GB) which is really important for me ..

The thing is, I've always wanted to have the "latest and greatest" and I feel kind of strange on buying last year's model ..

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
I went from the IP4 to the 6+ i dont realize much of a difference since i never put my phones in my pants. The screen of the IP4 got a bit to tiny for me i have to admit and the OS was lagging cause i installed IOS7. I just discovered than you can see absolutely nothing of the IP4 screen in bright sunlight, i was taking comparision pictures with both the IP4 and IP6+ camera and i could see the IP6+ screen in sunlight perfectly, the IP4 not. The IP4 had a much better build quality.

In the end i dont know why ppl getting concerned by the sizes, this is all a matter of getting accustomed to something

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Those going from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6

I went from an ip4 to an ip6... It's a lot faster, everything happens instantaneously! Battery can't comment yet, too new...feels very light.

I can't use it completely one handed yet but perhaps it's a matter of getting used to it.

Screen is gorgeous!

No regrets whatsoever!

Marcus72

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
small amount of the populations want this, so it won't happen but I wish apple release a 3rd phone in "one thumb usable" size. I want for this when when the 5C came out.

Sprintina

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I went from the 4S --> 6+ and the size difference is definitely dramatic when you look at the two side by side. Since I have a Galaxy S4, the jump wasn't too bad but even compared to the S4, the 6+ is definitely "Galaxy Note X" size.

My 4S had literally run out of space last month (all my music and a gazillion pictures and a bunch of home-shot videos are on there) so I have basically made it my ipod with the phone number moved to the 6+.

I am one of those who does more streaming/surfing/apps than actual voice so the phablet-sized 6+ is much easier on the eyes - but more portable than my mini or ipad 3.

As a sidenote, I still have my original HTC Touch with WinMo 6.1 and just turned it on (it had been upgraded to the S4) and the screen is just a little smaller than the 4S and uses a stylus (the 4S had been an upgrade to a Moto ic902 flip). It's interesting to see how we have evolved to where we are now... :)

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I'm going from 4S to 6+ just have to figure out how much storage and pull the trigger. I can't wait for the bigger screen. Only reason I didn't go with 5S was because i've been wanting a wider screen size since 80% of the time I'm in portrait mode on my iPhone.

The 6+ does seem big in person but that's becuase I'm accustomed to the smaller screen and it's just a few adjustments to the 5.5" screen but definitely worth it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.