Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarbineX

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
I highly doubt iOS 6 will hinder the performance of the iPhone 4S. iOS 6 doesn't differ too much from iOS 5 anyway, so it should run just as good. I'm sure Apple would slightly increase the clock speed of the A5 chip should it need it.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm happy with iOS 5.x.x it does absolutely all that I need.

I'll save iOS 6.x.x for next year.

That way if the 2013 iPhone meets my requirement I'll have the fun of a new OS to go with it.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I'm sure it'll run fine on my 4s, but the bigger question for me is whether I want to lose google's YouTube and maps apps. Hopefully they'll offer standalone options soon, as I would like the OPTION of streetview as well as full screen YouTube playback on the iPad (crappy implementation on the iPad formatted website)

Realistically I'll likely go for it in the end, simply out of curiosity, even if a few things are a step back.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Nah I'll wait for a jailbreak for it first.

My jail broken 4S can already do all the stuff iOS6 offers and the extra stuff apple will be offering I don't need

Nice, if I was not afraid of messing up my phone I would of jb my 4s.

----------

Why wouldn't I...?

I will wait about 3 days to see if anyone has reported any problems with it though.

Smart.

----------

I'm sure it'll run fine on my 4s, but the bigger question for me is whether I want to lose google's YouTube and maps apps. Hopefully they'll offer standalone options soon, as I would like the OPTION of streetview as well as full screen YouTube playback on the iPad (crappy implementation on the iPad formatted website)

Realistically I'll likely go for it in the end, simply out of curiosity, even if a few things are a step back.

With the new upgrade we are going to lose google and YouTube?

----------

I will keep my 4s and will update to the ios6

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
You won't be able to do an ota update from ios 5 to 6.0
You will have to use iTunes.

Seems kinda silly though doesn't it? You would think Apple would've found a way to do it by now. I know they really encourage the whole "PC free" method and are pushing this "Post PC era."

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Already have and i'm happy with it performance and stability wise.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Nice, if I was not afraid of messing up my phone I would of jb my 4s.

With the new upgrade we are going to lose google and YouTube?[COLOR=[/QUOTE]

Jailbreaking an iPhone is simple and not as intimidating as rooting an Android

Yes. Google maps and the stock YouTube app. I'm not really happy with the maps being taken away since from what I've seen apple maps aren't smooth. But for YouTube, the mobile version is miles better than the app.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I'm going to keep my 4S, since it does everything I need it to do. My only quasi-gripe is the battery, but I have a Mophie Juice Pack Plus, so that helps get through the day.

I'm still under contract with AT&T and really don't feel like shelling out an extra $250 to upgrade early when there's no real point/benefit/need in doing so.

Also, AT&T doesn't yet have LTE coverage here in West Michigan, so it would only be able to pull the same 4G HSPA+ speeds that I get with my 4S now, which is plenty good for me anyway.

But why shell out extra to upgrade early to an LTE device, when AT&T doesn't provide coverage here yet?

I seem to be on the "S" cycle anyway (3GS to 4S to...5S in 2013?).

And the unveiling of iOS 6 was underwhelming at best. A few enhancements here-and-there, but no real game changing feature this year. Maps notwithstanding (because there's always been a maps app), there wasn't anything on the level of multitasking, folders, iMessage, Notification Center, Facetime, Siri, etc this year.

Siri, for most, is still basically a gimmick, and hasn't really had the sort of penetration into users daily lives that it was probably intended to. The phone, mail, and safari enhancements are welcome, but are things that could be done with or without. Passbook isn't going to make people stop using plastic when they make purchases. Facetime over cellular is basically crippled by the carriers. Unless there's something that Apple hasn't told us about yet, iOS 6 is basically "meh".

I'm not trying to lose YouTube or Google Maps right now. The YouTube app is such a staple of iOS for me that I'd feel out of sync without it. And as for Maps...well this is Apple's first foray into the Maps industry, while Google has been doing maps for ages. Flyover LOOKS cool, but when is that going to have any practical, everyday use? I like having street view because, if I'm going somewhere I've never been before, I can use street view to see what the place looks like. Not giving that up yet. I want to see how Apple Maps matures...perhaps via a maintenance update or something.

Will I keep my 4S? YES. Will I update to iOS 6 on launch? NO.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm not sure if I'm getting the new iPhone or not yet. Or another phone all together. But regardless I am not going to update my 4s. This jailbreak is so stable I don't want to give that up. If it comes time to sell it, I'll get more bites with it being on iOS 5 (the buyer has a choice to stay or upgrade plus the jailbreak factor).

The only thing that concerns me is apple's latest anti-google moves. How long wil maps and YouTube work if one stayed on iOS 5? YouTube sucks as an app anyway but I'm still curious. I wonder if these apps will continue to function indefinitely or if at some point apple may kill them remotely. I'm sure if it came to that most people would be using iOS 8 or 9 by that point.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
I'm not sure if I'm getting the new iPhone or not yet. Or another phone all together. But regardless I am not going to update my 4s. This jailbreak is so stable I don't want to give that up. If it comes time to sell it, I'll get more bites with it being on iOS 5 (the buyer has a choice to stay or upgrade plus the jailbreak factor).

The only thing that concerns me is apple's latest anti-google moves. How long wil maps and YouTube work if one stayed on iOS 5? YouTube sucks as an app anyway but I'm still curious. I wonder if these apps will continue to function indefinitely or if at some point apple may kill them remotely. I'm sure if it came to that most people would be using iOS 8 or 9 by that point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the time comes and you sell it, you'll have to restore it and iTunes will tell you to update to iOS 6?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Not About To Change, It's All Good Here

As they say, "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"

The more I think about just how trouble free my 4S has been on iOS 5.x.x, the happier I am.

I'm in that sweet spot where all my Apple gear is running smooth, stable & ever so reliable.

Therefore I'm taking this opportunity to leave well enough alone, and just enjoy using it. :D

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the time comes and you sell it, you'll have to restore it and iTunes will tell you to update to iOS 6?

Nope. If I never download the iOS 6 update I'm in the clear. I did this with my iPhone 4. I sold it, totally wiped clean and ready to set up, running iOS 4. There are a lot of ways around it as long as you don't just click "yes" to everything iTunes prompts you for.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Seems kinda silly though doesn't it? You would think Apple would've found a way to do it by now. I know they really encourage the whole "PC free" method and are pushing this "Post PC era."

Yes. It would be nice to be able to do it all ota. Maybe down the road.
I know after you do update to 6.0 the rest smaller updates like 6.0.1 or 6.2 etc. will all be available ota.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I'll get the update as soon as I get the notification for an ota update.

You won't be able to do an ota update from ios 5 to 6.0
You will have to use iTunes.

Yes. It would be nice to be able to do it all ota. Maybe down the road.
I know after you do update to 6.0 the rest smaller updates like 6.0.1 or 6.2 etc. will all be available ota.

iOS 6 will be available OTA.

Attachments

• iOS 6.png
    iOS 6.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 44

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Jailbreaking an iPhone is simple and not as intimidating as rooting an Android

Yes. Google maps and the stock YouTube app. I'm not really happy with the maps being taken away since from what I've seen apple maps aren't smooth. But for YouTube, the mobile version is miles better than the app.

Now that i have been using the map on my 4s for directions i like it very much. When i first got the phone it was a big deal now im just use it and it works great for me.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
I just bought a 4s to upgrade from a 4 to use on straight talk. Figure I'll get a nice cheap upgrade while everyone is waiting to update to the next best thing. I'm sure the new phone will have a killer new feature besides the screen size, but I like what my 4 does and the 4s adds some of the few things I still want like a better camera and it's more responsive. Siri is neat as well.

iOS 6 has been really buggy on the 4 and I want to jb to customize everything for straight talk so I'll wait until there is. Jb and the apps I use run well on iOS 6.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I'm going to keep my 4S, since it does everything I need it to do. My only quasi-gripe is the battery, but I have a Mophie Juice Pack Plus, so that helps get through the day.

I'm still under contract with AT&T and really don't feel like shelling out an extra $250 to upgrade early when there's no real point/benefit/need in doing so.

Also, AT&T doesn't yet have LTE coverage here in West Michigan, so it would only be able to pull the same 4G HSPA+ speeds that I get with my 4S now, which is plenty good for me anyway.

But why shell out extra to upgrade early to an LTE device, when AT&T doesn't provide coverage here yet?

I seem to be on the "S" cycle anyway (3GS to 4S to...5S in 2013?).

And the unveiling of iOS 6 was underwhelming at best. A few enhancements here-and-there, but no real game changing feature this year. Maps notwithstanding (because there's always been a maps app), there wasn't anything on the level of multitasking, folders, iMessage, Notification Center, Facetime, Siri, etc this year.

Siri, for most, is still basically a gimmick, and hasn't really had the sort of penetration into users daily lives that it was probably intended to. The phone, mail, and safari enhancements are welcome, but are things that could be done with or without. Passbook isn't going to make people stop using plastic when they make purchases. Facetime over cellular is basically crippled by the carriers. Unless there's something that Apple hasn't told us about yet, iOS 6 is basically "meh".

I'm not trying to lose YouTube or Google Maps right now. The YouTube app is such a staple of iOS for me that I'd feel out of sync without it. And as for Maps...well this is Apple's first foray into the Maps industry, while Google has been doing maps for ages. Flyover LOOKS cool, but when is that going to have any practical, everyday use? I like having street view because, if I'm going somewhere I've never been before, I can use street view to see what the place looks like. Not giving that up yet. I want to see how Apple Maps matures...perhaps via a maintenance update or something.

Will I keep my 4S? YES. Will I update to iOS 6 on launch? NO.

Shout out to west Michigan!

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yeah, it'll definitely be available OTA, the only reason we needed it for iOS 5 was because iOS 4 didn't have OTA updates, IIRC.

I'm getting really excited, I don't see why you wouldnt upgrade; save for wanting to keep a JB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.