Those of you who have 200MB data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Aug 26, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Is it working for you? I am thinking about going for 200 MB data, but I am worried about AT&T will charge me even if I am on WI-FI.
    I have portable Wi-Fi router that I can carry, but I am worried that AT&T will claim that it was their 3G connection.

2. Meyvn macrumors 6502

First of all, AT&T does not actually monitor your WiFi data. Second, if you're *that* worried, turn off 3G except when you really need it. It'll save you battery power anyway.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

They don't charge you for Wi-Fi, and also they will email you a warning if you are close to reaching the limit.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I have the 200MB plan and it's working great for me. You don't have to worry about wifi usage.

5. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

I have it and it works perfectly, never reached 180mb yet. I use Wifi at home and at my high school. They sent me a text 2 days ago saying " Youve reach 65% of your 200mb data plan" blahblah, dont worry.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I believe being in Edge actually causes you to use up more of your battery.

7. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

You can turn off cellular data in settings. You won't be able to receive MMS though.

8. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

you believe wrongly.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not possible to charge you when you're not using their carrier data and by using wifi.

Actually its the exact opposite.
    Beeing on 3G will use more battery than when on Edge.

10. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

The iPhone is designed to accept Wifi signal before using the 3G. Edge still counts against your data plan as well.

11. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

If your watching lots of YouTube or downloading music then you'll likely go over otherwise for e-mail and standard web browsing you'll be fine.

12. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

You bring a router around with you? cool

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

A friend of mine is using the 200mb plan. At first, they used up half of that in a single day. Then, they got WiFi at home and all was good. Just refrain from downloading apps, browsing iTunes, or watching YouTube when you're away from WiFi. Also, always make sure the blue Airport symbol is in the menu on your iPhone so you know you're connected to WiFi.

As for myself... raising hell at the AT&T store when paying a bill will go a long way!

14. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Before I downgraded to the 200MB plan, I checked my past usage and I only went over the 200mb limit 1 month when my home internet was down for a couple of days and I tethered with my iPhone. So, I thought it was a great idea to downgrade. The first damn month I had my iPhone 4 with the new data package, I went over... THEN they turned on 3G in my city... so I just gave up and upgraded to the 2GB package. Gave up unlimited for nothing.

15. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

And don't stream anything while on 3G. My husband just discovered TuneIn Radio. 4 GB in one day... :eek:

Thank heaven we still have unlimited.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I was about to give up unlimited too, but then I discovered the Pandora app a few months ago. My usage has shot up from 500MB to 3.5 GB. :eek:
    Even if I hadn't discovered Pandora, you would have to pry unlimited from my hands.

17. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Jailbroken iphone + MiWi turns your iPhone into a portable router

just a thought if you happen to be paying extra for that router

18. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

This is kind of in line with what i was wondering. I want to get my wife an iphone for christmas, but wasn't sure which plan would be best since i can't get her unlimited. She would only use 3G heavily when she works night shift. That would be, probably on average, 3 nights a week. She might use it for a total of 2-3 hours per night, and probably just do some basics; read email (not send), browse the internet, and play some games. I still have my unlimited plan, and use my phone pretty much over wifi at all times (i use my phone constatly, but my data usage for the past month was like 35MB).

Anyone have any advice?

19. ryguy120 macrumors newbie

You seriously bring a router around with you so you don't have to pay an extra $10 a month??? You have a $600 phone, quit being cheap and pony up the cash. If $10 a month is going to break the bank each month, then maybe an iPhone isn't for you.

20. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I have the 200mb plan, and love it. When I am just in my own state, it works very well. When I go out of state, I tend to use the Internet way more and that is why I have a Sprint Overdrive though.

When you aren't using Internet, or don't want the Internet to be used, turn it off on your iPhone. You won't be able to send picture messages though.

It has worked well for me for the past couple of months though.

21. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

Wow 200mb is not enough for me. I have 3g unrestrictor lol i use close to 3gb a month.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think the iPhone is the best smartphone out there right now in terms of hardware/software. However, without unlimited data I'd have to switch to another carrier--and another phone that still has it. I'm surprised Verizon hasn't eliminated their unlimited plan yet since that's what everyone assumed they'd do when AT&T made their move. The longer they keep their unlimited plans though, the more it might pressure AT&T to bring their back!

In the past, when it was mainly just web browsing and using maps 2Gb or even 200mb might have been enough. With Pandora, Netflix and other streaming services in the pipeline I think that more people are going to have a hard time keeping under their limits.

23. slicecom macrumors 68020

Wow. I have wifi at home and work, but I still use about 1GB a month. I don't know how you guys can use so little data. Since getting my iPhone 4, my data use has doubled to what it was with my 3G.

24. silentbob007 macrumors regular

I basically use data for emergency browsing, email, and to check in on FourSquare. If I"m in a pinch with my iPad, I'll also tether. Still haven't broken 200 MB a month (don't use netflix/pandora/etc) or really gotten anywhere close, even when I spent a few days in a hotel and tethered instead of paying for internet there. If at all possible, I just do all of my data heavy lifting on wifi at home or work, and if I ever go over, I'll just go and retroactively switch to the 2 GB plan for that month then switch back.

25. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Slightly off topic I know, but I'm on a 500mb plan with my carrier in the UK and although I do have wifi at home when I'm out I do browse the web a lot use a lot of web based apps, used YouTube quite a bit and even downloaded some apps but I've only used about a 100mb in about 3 weeks.

So it isn't as though I'm worrying about usage I use cellular data quite a bit and can't believe actually how little I've used.