Those to bought Unibody.. Do we get iLife 09?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

its been less than 90 days.. is it possible to get ilife 09? for some reason i felt like i heard u get software upgrade (or 10 bucks, i think it was leopard) if u bought your machine recently.

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

3. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Yes this is exactly the question I am asking. My wife got a new white MacBook three weeks ago so its iLife 08. No way, Ray am I paying full price for iLife09. I will expect a favourable discount! Cheers!

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

5. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Only if you purchase a MB today until they start shipping with iLife '09 preinstalled. If you owned a MB before today's announcement you're SOL. Them's the breaks.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

Duff Man....to the rescue!

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Unless your in the period to return it to the store then no.
    You bought a computer with 2008 software in 2008, it's 2009, newer version costs money.
    That's the way the cookie crumbles in the computer hardware/software world.

7. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Reminds me of the scene in History of the World...

What about the poor?

F$&*&$ the poor!!!

Now, I don't expect to get it for free but a discount for any late 2008 MacBook is a nice gesture towards your customers.

I won't even get into them not incorporating the battery tech in the 15" MBP. Did they just figure out the tech over the last 2 months???

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I like my spare removable batteries thank you very much!

9. djellison macrumors 68020

Enjoy iLife 08 then. It's what you paid for.

Why are Apple users so happy to get the shaft for Laptops that cost 50% more than PC equivalent hardware - yet the moment someone releases new software a month after they bought something else, THEN, they feel hard done by.

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

I friend of mine bought a MBP a month before Leopard was released, and he said he called up Apple and they sent him a copy for free.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think I'm going to have to find issues with my computer and go get it exchanged.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wow just for a $79 piece of software. LOL!

13. NStocks macrumors 65816

Maybe

I have just rung Customer services, and he is going to email me back, as his supervisor it not present. I told him about the problems I've had ever since I got my MBP and that I'm awaiting my 3rd replacement ( first had a dodgy super drive, high temp and loose battery cover, 2nd have very bad colour bleed. ), and he added that their are a lot of notes so he didn't read them all I'm guessing.. Even though I bought it on Oct 31st, I won't be using the ' final' unit until this week ( that's if its not defective ).

... I already got the value of Mobileme put into my bank account for the inconvenience ( first they offered me a laptop case but I already have one, so I suggested mobileme:D)

Awesome.

14. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

lol i got a free copy of mobile me for having to send my first Uni-MBP back :D Yay for us. Dont think ill be able to ask for a copy of iLife 09 tho :)

15. chrisi29 macrumors member

How come those who bought the new Unibodys in the last few months are already stuck with "old" software xD Ah well... there are always other sources...:D

16. NStocks macrumors 65816

I have only asked because they are sending me another replacement. How's your screen, which panel is it, any bleed ?

I'm starting to think that if the 3rd unit is defective, I may call Apple and see what deal they can do with the 17" model. I can get HE discount and they may take into account all the problems ( but may not because they have already given me X amount )... Having said that, I don't think I'm ready to spend an extra £500 at least on a Mac or any computer for that matter, when I can put it towards a car.

NStocks

17. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

According to the Apple website, "If you buy a qualifying Mac between January 6, 2009, and March 28, 2009, and it does not include iLife '09, you're eligible to receive iLife '09 for just $9.95 plus tax."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/popup/ilife?mco=MTYzNDU2Mg

Good luck next time guys :p, but if I were you, I would ring AppleCare and see. They might give it to you for this price as well :).

18. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

This MBP is a much better build! The hinge is even on both sides and all keys are perfect etc etc so im very happy :) Hope you get a perfect one as well!

19. NStocks macrumors 65816

I Know !, and I've just read about the new 17", it says ' 60% more gamut for a richer screen... better than previous generations' ( that were only released 3 months ago :(

20. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Nice, so everyone who got an Apple for Christmas gets shafted.

I can see the torrents getting warmed up as we speak...

21. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Bring them on :)

22. GregE macrumors 6502

Seems like those who buy today should get it free since it was announce and those that purchased with the last 30 or 60 days should get it for $9.95. I sent Apple feedback telling them that.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well my hinge cover is flexing and the battery cover is loose. I just didn't really have a reason to go before.

I probably go along with it. I'm sure Apple will be nice to the consumer.

Though to be honest, I don't think I have iLife '08 install ATM.

24. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Besides, 79 bucks would be a lot to pay since I only use iPhoto. Why should we have to buy Garageband if we're already Logic users?

25. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Your computer was shipped with the current version of software. If you are within the accepted return period, call and see if they will upgrade or just return it. Technology advances and your computer, software or in our society your significant other will eventually become obsolete.