Those "ugly" antenna bands

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zzyzx, Oct 7, 2014.

1. zzyzx macrumors member

I was hoping I'd be able to say this when I got my 6 and it turned out to be true, those bands on the back of the phone are much better at finding and keeping signals than my 5 was. The 5 always seemed to drop and go down to 1x on Verizon in the Seattle area. As a result, my battery drained incredibly fast; I usually had to plug it in on my drive home from work. Yesterday, I didn't think about plugging it in until I went to bed and I was still at 45%.

It's amazing what a difference these make. I grew accustomed to plugging in my phone midday. Now I get ready to do that, look at the battery, and ask why I should bother to do so. It's the best improvement the phone has.

2. scottw324 macrumors 6502

yeah, I have a space gray model and I think they look the best on it. Granted I also have a full case, which is matte black, so it isn't like I actually see the lines any more anyway.

3. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

Owned my phone for a few weeks now and I still haven't seen the low battery notice. That used to be a daily occurrence.

4. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Couldn't this just be a result of having a new battery as well? What will happen in 6-8 months from now? I'm hoping you are right, but I think part of it is due to the fact that you are dealing with a brand new battery.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Slap a case on that bad Larry and you'll not notice the bands :)

7. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I may be wrong here but I thoguht those bands were just NFC and not antennas for signal?

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The thin bands across the top and bottom seem to be for the cellular signal. And I'm guessing the other isolated pieces of metal on the back are probably for wifi, bluetooth, and nfc

9. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

Maybe but I had trouble with connectivity with my 5 from the outset.

10. Zinthar macrumors 6502

I'm getting better signal and LTE download speeds with the iPhone 6 than I ever did with the iPhone 5 and LG G3 (and I actually did some field comparison tests with my second line while really bored in a parking lot to determine this). It definitely seems as though the antenna design is an improvement.

Aesthetically, I don't mind the bands on the SG & Silver models. On the gold I think it's pretty ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I guess that's the point of the Kardashian model.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

In actual use, I've found that I really look at the back of my phone surprisingly little. So the bands don't bother me.