Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
I’m planning to get a new iPhone this September and leaning towards a Pro Max, although have some concerns around the size. Those who own or used to own one, did you find it OK for daily use? Was it too big?

I’ll be upgrading from iPhone X.

Reactions: AppleWes

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
It depends how big is your hand/palm. If you would like to use the phone with one hand, Pro max will be too big. Just go to any shop who sell iPhones and try yourself.

Reactions: wlossw and boswald

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've been using the plus sized iPhone since the 6+. Last 2 iterations I tried out the Pro for about a month but quickly went back to the Pro Max because of battery issues and screen size.

My wife is 5'1 and about half my size and she's done the same as me. She spends a lot more time on her phone than I do (usually having 2-3x the battery cycles when we trade in to upgrade).

This question is very subjective to your own experience. I would not recommend taking what people say but to go to an Apple Store yourself if you can and try it out.

My own experience? I'm a big guy. I find holding the 14PM to be uncomfortable for more than an hour. I much more enjoy reading on my MBP (connected to a monitor or on my lap). I do not like using my phone if I can help it.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
As the screen size is supposed to stay the same and the bezels are supposed to become smaller, the 15 Pro Max will probably be a little smaller than the current one.

Reactions: alecgold and N69AP

LouE37

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Its really not too big in the overall scheme of things. For things that take longer to get through i use my iPad or iMac, only use my phone for 10m max but usually just to check a few things here and there.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
The size and mainly weight is certainly noticible over the regular Pro model, depending on your hand size you may have to type comfortably with two hands unless you are a big fan of swiping, but again that would kind of depend on hand size and if you can even comfortably reach your thumb or something across the screen without it being too wide. Apple has added the part where you can swipe down at the bottom and will basically smoosh what is on top to the bottom to make the things on top easier to use/navigate with one hand.

Personally I enjoy the larger screen and higher battery capacitary so the Max is worth the size and weight to me. If you have a store that has display units available I highly recommend using both and doing things like typing in safari or open up notes and do things you would do day to day

DPH

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
I have had Pro Max for a long long time now. For me the size is perfect, its not to big, but i have to admit that its not the phone you hold up to your ear for long phone calls.

For me is Pro Max with Apple Watch and AirPods Pro a perfect match.

Cant even understand the big concern about size.

You even can skip iPad and use your Pro Max to see movies and such at flights also!

Reactions: Chidoro

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I’m planning to get a new iPhone this September and leaning towards a Pro Max, although have some concerns around the size. Those who own or used to own one, did you find it OK for daily use? Was it too big?

I’ll be upgrading from iPhone X.
I am in a similar situation. I always preferred the regular size Pro iPhone, but vision loss got me experimenting with friends' Max phones. The Max size seems OK and I will be buying one next week. FWIW I do have XL size hands, and also use AirPods Pro and the Apple Watch Ultra for many functions, allowing the iPhone to stay mostly pocketed anyway.

Tinkerbellaa22

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2019
I've had the Pro Max sized phones since they were introduced and loved them however this year I can no longer stand the size and want something smaller.

I will however order both the P and PM to see how it goes because of the changes this year, I may end up loving the PM size again.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I had 5, 6S+, X, 11PM, 12P, and am currently on 13PM. I think I'll revert to regular size iPhone whenever I upgrade, if not go mini route. I have found the 13PM to be fine and love the battery life, still strong after two years. I mainly want to reduce my phone usage, so I'm looking into less expensive and smaller models for that reason. But if you can't tell from device history, I'm indecisive. If Apple made an iPhone the size of iPad mini I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

DPH

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
I had 5, 6S+, X, 11PM, 12P, and am currently on 13PM. I think I'll revert to regular size iPhone whenever I upgrade, if not go mini route. I have found the 13PM to be fine and love the battery life, still strong after two years. I mainly want to reduce my phone usage, so I'm looking into less expensive and smaller models for that reason. But if you can't tell from device history, I'm indecisive. If Apple made an iPhone the size of iPad mini I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Rather then down size, Screen Time starts to be bullet proof, i only have 5 min in certain apps and web sites per day:)

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I have had the larger iPhone since the 6+ was released and then I moved to the XS max on release day also. It is definately worth it if you are a heavy user overall but not everybody will feel that say way.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
I’m a smaller person so the Pro Max is largely like an iPad nano for me. I message and shoot using two hands, but it doesn’t feel unwieldy. It’s a bit conspicuous in my pockets, but the extra size brings with it a better screen for watching content (usually at the gym) and better cameras.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I was a huge "hater" of big phones in the past. I had a iPhone 4 and was concerned when I was planning on getting the iPhone 6 back in 2014. Told myself, ok this is a alright size but ill never move to a Plus phone.

Moved eventually to an iPhone X and then the XS Max came out and decided to take a leap and try it. Told myself, "if anything iPhones hold their value so well, I wont lose much money if I downgrade to a smaller iPhone". Took me 3 weeks and i fell in love with the size. Of course not as easy to use on hand as the smaller models, but I still manage pretty well.

Now on the iPhone 13 Pro Max and there is no chance I'll ever move to a smaller iPhone. I looked at the 14 Pro at a store a few days ago and i kid you not if someone told me that 14 Pro was actually the new iPhone Pro Mini, I would have believed you. I cant believe I used phones so small before.

SO, id defintely recommend you give the size a try for atleast a couple of weeks to a month.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I upgraded from the X to the 14 Pro. The difference was drastic and constantly noticeable. At first I felt like I was walking around with dumbbells or in an artificial gravity machine.

Fast forward a few months I noticed that I had adjusted to it and I had gotten so much additional exercise that a few health issues had altogether disappeared.

My wife commented on how muscular I have become all over and I received numerous compliments from friends and strangers.

The absurd level of extra weight is worth it. Never have I been in such good shape since college days. Your mileage may vary but I’d imagine the Pro Max would produce even greater results.

In my opinion, anyone who minimizes the huge difference in form factor and weight is being dishonest. However, if you will stay with it, I think you will likely adjust.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Up until recently I have had the regular Pro phones, but decided to try the Max Pro for the increased screen size and ease of reading and texting on the keyboard. The screen is beautiful but I'm finding the size to be a little much for me and will probably go back to the regular Pro. I use the speaker for most phone calls as it is a little too heavy for holding a long time and find it is heavy to carry in my purse or in my dog treat pouch when walking my dog. It's going to be a hard decision as I do love that big beautiful screen, but for everyday use I think the Pro will be a better fit for me. I'm a female with average size hands.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Battery life, screen size, camera is all worth it. I am never going back to a smaller phone. It’s not like other phones are iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 size to hold on one hand. I had 7+ and upgraded to 13 PM. I use AirPods or speaker, never hold the phone against the ears. With AW, AirPods and PM, phone being big isn’t a problem. I see folks going smaller phones and then using iPad mini.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Once I went PM, I haven’t considered going smaller. The larger size is more usable and easier on my eyes. Also, my tiny 82 yo mom is on a 14PM and loves it — no problem with the size or weight.

Reactions: Chidoro

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I went from the 13 Pro Max to the 14 Pro to the 14 Pro Max. I found the 14 Pro was just a little too big for true one handed use but too small for two handed use. There are still times when I use the 14 PM with one hand, but I can’t reach all areas of the screen without moving the phone in my hand.

Before my experience with the 13 PM, I wanted the smallest device and was very interested in the mini when it was first announced but over time realized I prefer the larger device. I upgrade my phones each year so this year I’ll go for the 15 PM and wont look back.

xxfishdogxx

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2023
Florida
I've had the Max/Pro Max size since the XS Max. I often feel it is too big for me. However, every time I decide I want to downsize to the regular Pro, they come along with a Max-exclusive camera feature. I believe this was the case with the 12 series, and rumors indicate it will again be the case with the 15 Pro. If you want or need the best iPhone camera available, you may be locked into the Max whether you like it or not.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If anything my 11 Pro Max is too small. I'd like something midrange between a Pro Max and an iPad Mini. That'd be perfect.

But I don't one hand my phone or use it for anything other than calls, texts, email and light web browsing when out.

I went from an iPhone 5 in 2012 to a 6 Plus in 2015 to a 6S Plus in late 2015 to a Pixel 3a XL in May 2020 to my 11 Pro Max in February 2021.

The only adjustment was from the 5 to the 6 Plus and I got over that in 5 minutes. I can never go back to that small size of phone again.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I was a huge "hater" of big phones in the past. I had a iPhone 4 and was concerned when I was planning on getting the iPhone 6 back in 2014. Told myself, ok this is a alright size but ill never move to a Plus phone.

Moved eventually to an iPhone X and then the XS Max came out and decided to take a leap and try it. Told myself, "if anything iPhones hold their value so well, I wont lose much money if I downgrade to a smaller iPhone". Took me 3 weeks and i fell in love with the size. Of course not as easy to use on hand as the smaller models, but I still manage pretty well.

Now on the iPhone 13 Pro Max and there is no chance I'll ever move to a smaller iPhone. I looked at the 14 Pro at a store a few days ago and i kid you not if someone told me that 14 Pro was actually the new iPhone Pro Mini, I would have believed you. I cant believe I used phones so small before.

SO, id defintely recommend you give the size a try for atleast a couple of weeks to a month.
I had the iPhone 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus before moving to the XR, then 11 Pro, and currently 13 Pro. I am moving back up to the 15 Pro Max this year. I miss the larger display and nearly immediately regretted not getting the 13 Pro Max when my wife’s Gold 13 Pro Max arrives.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.