Those who own or bought an iPhone over Android why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 13, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Those who own or bought an iPhone over Android why?

And vice versa, all I got to say is we don't need arguments between people this is simply a question not a debate.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I love Apple. Love the design. Love the features. Love the simplicity.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And the integration with the Mac, iTunes, and MobileMe.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I guess that'd fall under simplicity but better put.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I bought an iPhone over Android for several reasons:

1. I have at&t as my carrier. When the iPhone 4 was introduced, the only decent Android phone was the Aria, which only had a 3.2" screen which I find to be too small.

2. I have macs, and obviously, the iPhone integrates with my computers flawlessly.

3. By having the same phone as my wife, we can use the same accessories. For example, we only have to have one car charger in each car since we have the same phone.

4. While my wife had not purchased too many apps, I wanted to make use of them and not have to repurchase similar apps for Android.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

iPhones are much sexier than the typical Android phone. They send the social messages I want to send (and not electronically). :p

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting.

To me simplicity is referring to the UI and ease of use.

But I see your point.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Well that is apart of it too. I hastily generalized my response :p

The iPhone is simple in that the UI is not only easy to learn and use, the amount of problems with the software/hardware (for me at least, don't bring up the antenna issues; it's been beaten to death) are limited and the integration with other devices I own is seamless.

Better? ;):D:p

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Eco system. I have invested and love specific apps that will not work on Android. Audiobooks and TV shows have DRM too. Biggest reason is there is no way to test Android with a Android Touch to see if I like it before committing to a 2 year network plan. Android needs to be 10 times better like how the iPhone is 10 times better than the Blackberry including Blackberry email.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Awesome!

Great minds must think alike. :)

12. stranger danger macrumors member

13. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

To keep it easy... I enjoy the App store. Android is awesome, I want an Android phone, but until their apps = Apple apps, I'll stick to ATT.

14. JsR macrumors regular

I had a G1 and hated the market place etc. It was really close and just wasn't classy. So I bought an iPhone 3GS on PAYG for £450 and haven't looked back :D

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Open platform. I don't need Apple's moral police telling me what apps I can and can't have on my phone.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This is really it for me. Trying to use doubletwist was frustrating and I actually prefer NAND to SD cards because it's quite a bit faster.

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I own an iPhone and have used my (now-ex) girlfriends HTC Desire a good number of times. I just preferred the "feel" of the iPhone. I can't put my finger on what it is that I like, it just seemed nicer to use.

I think the quality of the apps is generally better on iPhone (from my limited experience) but that's not particularly a fault with the platform.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

-UI lacks polish

-Multimedia capabilities suck

-Can't stand the thought of not being to upgrade my OS as soon as a new version comes out

-Dev support. Everyone wants to develop for the iPhone.

-Customer service/support. I can walk into an Apple store and walk out with a new iPhone in 10 minutes. I'd have to start calling the handset manufacturer and wait days/weeks with Android.

-Resale value. My 3GS effectively paid for my iPhone 4. That would not happen with an android device.

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

See comments in bold.

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

This. Well, I don't have an iPhone 4, but I did buy an iPhone 3G.

I like the fact that the product is uniform and functional across the rest of my electronics; and I like the confidence of knowing that if I find an app, it'll work (no fragmented system) and no incoherence between handset builder and software maker (Google).

I'm not brand-obsessive, but there is an aesthetic pleasantry for me to have the brand consistent. And it's not just Apple; I'm like that with other things in life too. Call it OCD...

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Android is a good OS and i'm thankful that it continues to force Apple to keep evolving but iOS is still superior to it...for my own usage pattern.

22. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

"So simple, a caveman could use it."

I'm watching Android with a wary eye, I fear that universe will begin to pinch off into cabals very soon. Linkypoo

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It is easier for Apple to open up the iPhone if that ends up being better than for Google to close the Android. If having the phone so open becomes a problem later, then Apple wins. If being so open is good, Apple can be more open and win.

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Not necessarily. Fragmentation is a big issue for developers... iOS is closed and carefully managed and designed by Apple in order to keep a high level of quality in the software that on the whole Android can't match.

Closed is better. So it's not democratic, not for the people. So what? You want a quality piece of software, you can't have a million and one corporate nuts tinkering around with it. Uniform design by a single entity with a clear vision based on customer feedback is always better.